Class of 2019 - SF Kahlil Whitney (NJ) to Kentucky | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 SF Kahlil Whitney (NJ) to Kentucky

Lol I’d happily take this kid if he wanted to come to Cuse.
1. We lose Hughes next year.
2. People are majorly discounting his upside for the opportunity to say “guess he wasn’t as good as he thought he was”.

silly.

come on over. Doesn’t mean he walks into a starting role, though that’s likely what it’d take to land him.

Lol I’d happily take this kid if he wanted to come to Cuse.
1. We lose Hughes next year.
2. People are majorly discounting his upside for the opportunity to say “guess he wasn’t as good as he thought he was”.

silly.

come on over. Doesn’t mean he walks into a starting role, though that’s likely what it’d take to land him.

Agreed. He is a ridiculous athlete and from what I recall, a serviceable shooter in HS. If he is willing to put in the work and be a team guy, you absolutely take him. He was a top 15 recruit and just because a semester at UK didn't go his way, hardly indicates he is not talented.

All that said, I have seen nothing to indicate SU is even looking or in the running. Likely a lot of chat about nothing.

Difference between improving and having the ability to shoot.

He's an athlete playing SF. You can't win with guys who can't shoot at that position anymore. This isn't the 90's. Why do you think Hopkins is struggling at UW this year?
There are plenty of guys who went from being lousy shooters to good or even great ones. Magic and Kidd are 2 who come to mind. Closer to home CJ Fair and Kris Joseph are nice examples.
Because a kid is not a good shooter at age 18 or so is not a reason to write him off. Shooting can be improved, size and to a large extent athleticism cannot.

There are plenty of guys who went from being lousy shooters to good or even great ones. Magic and Kidd are 2 who come to mind. Closer to home CJ Fair and Kris Joseph are nice examples.
Because a kid is not a good shooter at age 18 or so is not a reason to write him off. Shooting can be improved, size and to a large extent athleticism cannot.

So Jalen Carey? Personally I think athleticism is the most overrated basketball trait there is and guys are routinely overrated by it.

So Jalen Carey? Personally I think athleticism is the most overrated basketball trait there is and guys are routinely overrated by it.

It's much 'easier' to add skills to an athlete, than it is to add athleticism to somebody w/ skills.

That's why so many folks are enamored with the freak athletes, on the assumption that if they can just add some skills, they'd be amazing.

Kawhi Leonard says hi!
Jerami Grant is waving in the background. :cool:

It's much 'easier' to add skills to an athlete, than it is to add athleticism to somebody w/ skills.

That's why so many folks are enamored with the freak athletes, on the assumption that if they can just add some skills, they'd be amazing.

Kawhi Leonard says hi!
Jerami Grant is waving in the background. :cool:

Yeah and it rarely happens until those guys are one or two and done. Then we end up playing Dayton and can't make a shot outside 5 feet.

Is there any actual interest here from the staff or from Kahil? In doing a little checking, his 3pt shoot percentage for EYBL was almost 37% and he shot about 66% from the charity stripe, neither are great by any stretch but they aren't horrific. Has anyone watched him play this year? Im curious what their impressions are. Again if there is no real interest from the staff or KW then its all just academic

Magic and Kidd are 2 who come to mind.
So, two NBA hall of famers ... gotcha.

This kid is bailing on UK, midseason, for a reason and it isn't because he's going to be a superstar somewhere else. There's no room at the inn at SU for a project who is ticked off about playing time already.

He looks much more athletic than Quincy. Quincy is stronger, sure.
Whitney can become a fantastic player. I wouldn't mind seeing him in orange, and letting the staff prove how well they 'develop' players. KW could be a much more explosive Josh Pace if he "can't shoot." With the way we are now moving the ball better, and actually running on the break when available, Whitney could be a nice fit.

This kid is bailing on UK, midseason, for a reason and it isn't because he's going to be a superstar somewhere else. There's no room at the inn at SU for a project who is ticked off about playing time already.
I love when people use the most extreme examples as if they are the most likely outcome. Happens on all of our recruiting boards. EVERY QB that we've looked at recently without any offers is the next Dungey.

I love when people use the most extreme examples as if they are the most likely outcome. Happens on all of our recruiting boards. EVERY QB that we've looked at recently without any offers is the next Dungey.
My post was cherrypicked and the full post was not quoted. If you read it I also mentioned CJ and Kris Joseph.

Dude he was there for half a season with a dozen other 5 stars. Lack of production hardly means he can't be great. We have had some recent success with transfers with nil pedigree as you may recall... If SU were to get involved I would be pretty damn confident they believe he has talent. Again though, I see zero to indicate he ends up here.

Saying that players known for not being able to shoot can become great shooters like Magic and Kidd is not the same thing as saying Whitney can become great like Magic and Kidd.

Wait..he is leaving kentucky because he isn't playing and his solution is to to the NBA
I guess making $40K each of the next 2 years and honing skills in the G League while trying to make the NBA is more enticing than playing for free at Illinois and trying to sneak in the 1st round

I guess making $40K each of the next 2 years and honing skills in the G League while trying to make the NBA is more enticing than playing for free at Illinois and trying to sneak in the 1st round

it does sound a bit ridiculous though. i think what youre saying is, “hes turning pro” rather than hes “declaraing for the nba draft”. I guess if thats khalils plan, its the best way to frame it.

question—if he goes round 1, does cal take credit for his pick?

For the 2019–20 season, the G League will begin to offer Select Contracts to players that are not yet eligible to enter the NBA Draft.[19] Since 2006, players that are not at least 19 years old by the end of the calendar year have been ineligible, creating what became known as the "one-and-done" rule where players joined a college basketball team for one season and then leave for the NBA.[20] The new Select Contract is to be an alternative for players who do not want to or cannot attend a college, worth up to $125,000 for a season.[21]

it does sound a bit ridiculous though. i think what youre saying is, “hes turning pro” rather than hes “declaraing for the nba draft”. I guess if thats khalils plan, its the best way to frame it.

question—if he goes round 1, does cal take credit for his pick?
Cal is sitting next to him hugging him on draft night if that's the case LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom