Class of 2023 - SF Marcus Adams (CA) Offered | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 SF Marcus Adams (CA) Offered

I approach it more from the pov of the women who are screwed out of fair competition and who have to put up with biological males in their locker room.
I don’t disagree. I think I mentioned it wasn’t fair.

UCLA has deeper pockets than us. I am in the LA area for a couple of weeks. There is more wealth than you can shake a stick at and people are as abundant as ants.

NIL is untethered. The pros have a salary cap and an inverted draft to encourage parity. In the ACC, unlimited NIL will reshuffle the deck. Miami has the deepest pockets.
There will be collusion between donors and staff. Now that the gates are open and the line blurs between NIL and the school, athletes will demand a share of the gate. If this happens, Title IX will collapse. We have not seen the end of change.
UCLA at one point had the highest paid team in Los Angeles after the Lakers.

How I hate, loathe that term "Dream School." It seems to work wonders for other schools but us. For our sake, let's hope that UCLA has other highly ranked players committed and/or better current players at his position who will be back next year.
It helps when you’re not in a talent dead zone. Starling probably was the best bet for a top level recruit from the local area that would’ve seen SU as a dream school, but we lucked out there it would appear.

If UCLA knows about his scheduled Cuse visit, that will be their deadline to pony up.

The big question for me is did UCLA offer for the 23 class? If Marcus thinks he’s a one and done, the earlier he can get to college and earn NIL money, the sooner he can get to the league and get a large paycheck. Of course, that assumes he doesn’t catch the Benny disease between high school and college.

Last edited:
College basketball as we know it is not long for this world. The athletes are semi-pro. They will unionize and demand a share of the gate. The current situation is unstable. Who knows what will happen. Will college teams become NBA farm teams? Will colleges lease out their stadiums to a new organization? Does the G league become AAA status and power conferences AA? The rest A? Amateurs only in Div. 2? What happens to nonmonetary sports when excess revenue is no longer availale?
they should just use the branding of the universities...but make it all pro...and not require athletes to be students (offer it, but not require it)

and make the salary the same for all players...level the playing field.

USC has now offered. Do UCLA alums care enough? I lived in LA and Orange County for several years. Wealth everywhere, yes, but no one seemed to give a flying crap about Bruins or Trojans basketball.

Not sure what boosters have more money. Usc or ucla. Lived in SoCal for 11 years. The wealth is astronomical. There are a million Adam’s unfortunately. This is going to be a tough climb now. And Adam can literally only do so much. This is the state of this now where someone can literally just swoop in and that’s it and nothing the staff can do. Weird times

Not sure what boosters have more money. Usc or ucla. Lived in SoCal for 11 years. The wealth is astronomical. There are a million Adam’s unfortunately. This is going to be a tough climb now. And Adam can literally only do so much. This is the state of this now where someone can literally just swoop in and that’s it and nothing the staff can do. Weird times
We need Melo to bring in Bron and Klutch Sports

I think USC by far. I read USC has the 2nd most billionaire alums among power 5 schools. I heard UCLA is not even doing any nil activity in football yet.

What hs player is worth such amounts? Unless its Lebron then I just dont get it. Granted, I dont know how much money’s being discussed here… but reputable contributors above would lead me to believe its too much.

Just because you have it doesnt mean you need to exhaust it

There are a lot of rich people in Cali, but I think you are vastly understating Adam’s wealth.

There are a lot of rich people in Cali, but I think you are vastly understating Adam’s wealth.
No I’m definitely not as I am friends with him lol. I’m saying the amount of them in california trumps just the 1 person in cuse that we have as a supporter of his stature. It’s hard for 1 person to carry the torch versus all of the alums and supporters just in SoCal that I encountered

No I’m definitely not as I am friends with him lol. I’m saying the amount of them in california trumps just the 1 person in cuse that we have as a supporter of his stature. It’s hard for 1 person to carry the torch versus all of the alums and supporters just in SoCal that I encountered

What you are saying is you know how many 0s adam has in his bank account and you know how many usc boosters there are that have more 0s in their bank accounts?

Even if so, the issue I have with your statement is its a false equivalence. There are plenty of SEC schools on poor rural areas that can pay top dollars. I dont think people our west really care that much about sports generally.

At the end of the day, unlike football, one booster can make a material difference with basketball roster. So, we might not be able to get marcus adams, but are people going to pay more than adam for a 4* kid. Then, go ahead. The market will settle eventually, but adam can pay enough to get adams if he wants.

So this is JP Estrella and Drew Fielder all over again? Why can’t we wrap up one of these recruitments before kids blow up and others swoop in? Hop used to be so good at that—Flynn, MCW, Lydon, Mali all committed early.

Last edited:
I think USC by far. I read USC has the 2nd most billionaire alums among power 5 schools. I heard UCLA is not even doing any nil activity in football yet.
Fortunately, not all alums care about sports and many probably don’t want to get involved with NIL or college recruiting shadiness.

What you are saying is you know how many 0s adam has in his bank account and you know how many usc boosters there are that have more 0s in their bank accounts?

Even if so, the issue I have with your statement is its a false equivalence. There are plenty of SEC schools on poor rural areas that can pay top dollars. I dont think people our west really care that much about sports generally.

At the end of the day, unlike football, one booster can make a material difference with basketball roster. So, we might not be able to get marcus adams, but are people going to pay more than adam for a 4* kid. Then, go ahead. The market will settle eventually, but adam can pay enough to get adams if he wants.
People out west care way more than you think especially USC. It’s a cult. Hard part is until you live there you just don’t care if you live on east coast. No one stays up til 1030 at night to watch a pac 12 game. When I lived out there you wouldn’t believe it. Ucla basketball has some powerhouse donors. I played quite a bit of golf with them at LA CC and they don’t care what it takes to make them successful.

Adam of course can change the landscaping quite a bit, but Westwood is still Westwood and one of the best campuses in the world. There’s no changing the difference between cuse and Westwood

Hope he realizes that neither USC or UCLA "believed" in him until he got the SU offer and was looking like he was going to commit there. Cuse are the ones who really believed in him.
We weren't his first offer.