Class of 2023 - SF Marcus Adams (CA) Offered | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 SF Marcus Adams (CA) Offered

This is the reality in this new era regardless if s player is committed. No player is safely yours until they’re on campus and even then you gotta work to keep them around.
Yup, as a coach, as a program, how do you plan, prioritize, adjust recruiting needs when everything from even your current roster, less your future possible roster is in constant flux, always questionable? Must be difficult to switch up from looking at players you think have lots of potential that you look forward to developing - to finding players who you need confidence in to produce immediately. I would imagine if you have a specific system that it needs to be adjusted so it is easier, simpler for players to adapt to. That‘s my biggest worry with the complicated rotations in JB’s zone - how quickly can plug in players really learn it. I imagine even more complicated man to man defenses like Va’s pack defense would have longer adjustment times if rosters are in flux too. Sorry for my rambling early morning thoughts here. ;)

"He doesn't give anyone anything. Nothing. Not one guy."
JB not a fan of the NIL, but this statement is head scratching??

Last edited:
I think we need to offer a generous NIL. Sorry, but that is the reality as these kids, even those who get an offer from their dream school or a school that is the right fit, are shortsighted and just want to go to the highest bidder.
I hate it, Boehiem does too, but the reality is that if you really want to compete with the best, fill a 30k seat dome, be a prominent program and not always have to fill a roster with 2 to 3 star kids outside of the top 100, you don't just have to join the NIL party, but the NIL must be very competitive.

I think we need to offer a generous NIL. Sorry, but that is the reality as these kids, even those who get an offer from their dream school or a school that is the right fit, are shortsighted and just want to go to the highest bidder.
I hate it, Boehiem does too, but the reality is that if you really want to compete with the best, fill a 30k seat dome, be a prominent program and not always have to fill a roster with 2 to 3 star kids outside of the top 100, you don't just have to join the NIL party, but the NIL must be very competitive.
Adam W. has offered a big NIL deal to Adams for 2023. I wrote about it a few weeks ago.
Syracuse Basketball: Adam Weitsman offers big NIL to 4-star in 2023 class

This is an "awful place" we're in with college basketball. So given this is JB's take on the NIL and the transfer portal, what is the communication between him and AW.

Not sure why he would continue to coach in a distasteful environment.

This is an "awful place" we're in with college basketball. So given this is JB's take on the NIL and the transfer portal, what is the communication between him and AW.

Not sure why he would continue to coach in a distasteful environment.
I agree. You've put in your time, had a great long career, don't like the landscape change - without all the fuss, just walk away gracefully like Jay Wright did.

Adam W. has offered a big NIL deal to Adams for 2023. I wrote about it a few weeks ago.
Syracuse Basketball: Adam Weitsman offers big NIL to 4-star in 2023 class
Thanks - I am aware of Weitsman's deal, but what might look big to you and me, might be small to the kid, or he might believe he could possibly get a bigger payday elsewhere, thus his latest statement. Not saying we should offer more if it is indeed generous - some of these kids or their handlers are just greedy.

It will be interesting to see what happens to kids with huge NIL deals who don't produce. Does it get reduced substantially the next year? if so, the player wont be happy and will hit the portal. This could get messy.