Class of 2018 - SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

No coffee for JB till he closes this.

Id like to say this quote to JB regarding his recent ability to get players on the floor: "You cant close bleep, you are bleep! Hit the bricks pal, because youre going out!!!!!"

JB has been closer to NBC than ABC of late.

I'm not sure there's still mutual interest between Braswell and Okie St. The Pokes have already signed two 2018 forwards, and there is almost NO chatter regarding Okie St recruiting Braswell since January.

Just sayin...

Sounds right. That’s why I asked why hadn’t he signed with okie st yet. It’s May and they’ve been on him at least 6 months.

Waits to see what happens with Golden.

Gets an offer after Golden commits to Futler.

Schedules a visit same day a week away.

... Seems to be lining up in our favor ...
Yeah the signals are pretty strong here.

kTiBM1b.jpg

Look at that trajectory! Look at it! Look at it!

The r^2 is 1!

Seems quite obvious no?

And more importantly, it means they are only taking ONE forward this class.

I know many here want to use all the available scholarships, but I think the coaches are shooting for a big class next year.

Just for a little perspective. As my son is a track athlete, and I happened to be at one of his meets this year when a boy set the MD season high mark for High Jump at 6' 10". I was curious as to how good a 6' 6" high jump really was.

Understand that many track athletes play multiple sports, and like my son, often do it to stay in shape for their primary sport. So, it isn't uncommon for kids to play multiple sports.

Robert Braswell's 6' 6" high jump was good for a tie with 5 other athletes for the 4th best high jump in South Carolina this year. He did the same as an 11th grader as well. 7' 3" is the highest in the US this year.

My own two cents. Braswell fits the mold of a SU basketball player much more than Golden did. At this stage, Golden is a better player, who would have had a greater immediate impact. He fit the roster needs better than Braswell does, and his decision process was more imminent. That is why Golden was a higher priority.

Having said that, Braswell has a higher upside to him than Golden. Golden is quite a bit closer to his maximum potential than Braswell is, as far as fitting SU's needs. It could ultimately play out that Braswell would be the better long term player for SU. I think it is fair to say that Golden would have been JB's preferred choice at this moment. But, it wasn't a killer. Dasher made it very clear that it would be an uphill battle, and I am sure JB knew that.

But, despite many people on here who didn't think the coaching staff perceived the need at forward, the staff DID recognize the need, and have been proactive about filling the need. What some people don't seem to recognize, is that it takes time to find players, and evaluate them, then make contact, and try to build a relationship. As hard as it is to believe, not every kid is sitting out there just waiting to hear from Syracuse about an open spot.

Bazley did something that no other top 25 player has done. No coach, not one who had a top 25 player was out recruiting his replacement because they expected them to announce they were skipping college to go to the G-league (or at least till now!) this late in the process. So, sometimes things happen, and you adjust as best you can. This is the coaching staff assessing the situation and adjusting, Just like they did last year with Dolezaj. He isn't a wasted scholarship, and I have confidence that time will prove that, if Braswell makes it here, it also will not be a wasted scholarship. These are the things that getting stripped of scholarships does not allow you to do, build depth. And now that they are all back, these issues should start to disappear in the rear view mirror.

Simply put, this kid would fill multiple needs and be such a great late addition.

- Can shoot the 3, check
- Forward depth for 2018-2019, check
- Athletic, zone fit, check
- Untapped upside, check
- Possible starter in 2019-2020 after Oshae leaves, check
- Fills one of our many open scholarships, check

Even if this kid never develops into a star or only has a late James Southerland type impact, it's a great add. He wouldn't preclude us from going after the higher profile players like Whitney, Guerrier, etc.

If he watches The Americans, he knows that people who are about to go to Oklahoma end up not so much alive...

Just watched that episode last night. Still need to watch this weeks.

I know many here want to use all the available scholarships, but I think the coaches are shooting for a big class next year.
They can use all available scholarships this season and still likely have room to bring in the largest class in recent history (or maybe ever).

Simply put, this kid would fill multiple needs and be such a great late addition.

- Can shoot the 3, check
- Forward depth for 2018-2019, check
- Athletic, zone fit, check
- Untapped upside, check
- Possible starter in 2019-2020 after Oshae leaves, check
- Fills one of our many open scholarships, check

Even if this kid never develops into a star or only has a late James Southerland type impact, it's a great add. He wouldn't preclude us from going after the higher profile players like Whitney, Guerrier, etc.

The key will be your second bullet -- can he contribute this year?

Because I agree with all of the rest.

Just as an FYI Bazley also averaged 15pts a game his senior year. Looks like Braswell had 2 pretty good guard team mates that were 2nd and 3rd team all conference while Braswell was 1st team. One of those team mates also joined him on the All State team and has offers from SC State and Southern Miss.

Just for a little perspective. As my son is a track athlete, and I happened to be at one of his meets this year when a boy set the MD season high mark for High Jump at 6' 10". I was curious as to how good a 6' 6" high jump really was.

Understand that many track athletes play multiple sports, and like my son, often do it to stay in shape for their primary sport. So, it isn't uncommon for kids to play multiple sports.

Robert Braswell's 6' 6" high jump was good for a tie with 5 other athletes for the 4th best high jump in South Carolina this year. He did the same as an 11th grader as well. 7' 3" is the highest in the US this year.

My own two cents. Braswell fits the mold of a SU basketball player much more than Golden did. At this stage, Golden is a better player, who would have had a greater immediate impact. He fit the roster needs better than Braswell does, and his decision process was more imminent. That is why Golden was a higher priority.

Having said that, Braswell has a higher upside to him than Golden. Golden is quite a bit closer to his maximum potential than Braswell is, as far as fitting SU's needs. It could ultimately play out that Braswell would be the better long term player for SU. I think it is fair to say that Golden would have been JB's preferred choice at this moment. But, it wasn't a killer. Dasher made it very clear that it would be an uphill battle, and I am sure JB knew that.

But, despite many people on here who didn't think the coaching staff perceived the need at forward, the staff DID recognize the need, and have been proactive about filling the need. What some people don't seem to recognize, is that it takes time to find players, and evaluate them, then make contact, and try to build a relationship. As hard as it is to believe, not every kid is sitting out there just waiting to hear from Syracuse about an open spot.

Bazley did something that no other top 25 player has done. No coach, not one who had a top 25 player was out recruiting his replacement because they expected them to announce they were skipping college to go to the G-league (or at least till now!) this late in the process. So, sometimes things happen, and you adjust as best you can. This is the coaching staff assessing the situation and adjusting, Just like they did last year with Dolezaj. He isn't a wasted scholarship, and I have confidence that time will prove that, if Braswell makes it here, it also will not be a wasted scholarship. These are the things that getting stripped of scholarships does not allow you to do, build depth. And now that they are all back, these issues should start to disappear in the rear view mirror.

very well said and couldn't agree more. Hope we land him as he would be a quality get for many reasons.

Cuse!

More recently I'm kind of thinking a slightly taller B.J. Worst case a practice player and quasi-project. Best case - ? If forward rotation is Brissett / Dolezaj / Hughes and guard rotation is Howard / Carey / Washington - Buddy - Battle, this is a luxury that we can afford again with sanctions largely behind us.

Don't really get the either / or discussion with Golden as Braswell seems like a 3/4 skills-wise and Golden more of a 4 / 5. Still not comfortable with two centers with injury history and no real third option but if Braswell commits I can deal with this rotation.