Class of 2017 - SG Alex O'Connell (GA) Verballed to Duke | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Alex O'Connell (GA) Verballed to Duke

Didn't expect to see him commit before AW3. Oh well, on to the next one.

I was confident but lost a lot of it when Duke offered. He's a legacy. I still thought we had a great shot. It's too early for it to be a total shock for the program but as RF said, he would have filled a big need. I thought we get either him or Tucker, not necessarily both. I'm not thrilled Tucker is moving to Georgia but he knows us very well, so we should still be in the mix. According to Francis, we are really prioritizing Brandon Randolph.
Randolph becomes much easier to pull with Quade Green...

welp
Seems like a good kid and a great player. Probably needs a year or two to get stronger and ready to play. I understand where he is coming from. Best of luck to him at Duke. He should do well there.

That was fast. So much for that visit we were all looking forward to! Have to agree with some of the other posters in that he likely will have trouble seeing the court.
Could be we see MG 2.0 here. Another transfer like Gbinje?

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised Duke didn't drag him out a little. I mean he isn't even a top 50 kid is he. If he was ready to go and a legacy. I guess a bird in hand.

No brainer for the kid. Have to imagine he was born and raised strictly with Duke B-Ball being everything. Can easily see him carry on the hated white guy tradition that never ends there.

Damnit. Really liked his overall skillset. I really like him and will continue to like him.

This helps us with Green. Not end of the world news.

How's that? Different position, top marksman, would think AO world be attractive to a penetrating PG like QG.

nyucuse said:
How's that? Different position, top marksman, would think AO world be attractive to a penetrating PG like QG.

I'm not Jake, but I am guessing it means there is more of a chance for Quade's whole crew without O'Connell.

It's too bad (thought Orange would look good one Slim), but I get it for him...

This is why I think Oconnell jumped the gun so fast. It was first come between him and Samuels. Just my opinion though...