Class of 2017 - SG Brandon Randolph (PA) to Arizona | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Brandon Randolph (PA) to Arizona

Manning's conference record is 7-29 at Wake. They have not put a player in the NBA at Wake in like 7 years. I believe Teague is the last guy correct me if I'm wrong. Randolph will find Danny and the Miracles cool? Maybe the same way a 6 year old finds tape decks cool. Oh that's cool dad (eye roll) moving on. I'm not saying there is no chance he goes there but I feel pretty confident it won't be because of a college team the played a decade before his birth. I would think showing him tape of Malachi Richardson and saying, "Look at this kid. He came here for 1 year and is in the NBA now as a 1st round pick" would get him way more excited.
I agree, what we have to stack up against Wake is very solid. But, if the question is "Why would a kid of his caliber go to Wake?", don't you think the story of your coach almost single handedly carrying his team to a national championship is compelling to someone of any age? Don't you think that it adds credibility to the coach? I think 9 out of 10 kids without other ties to either university would choose SU over Wake, but I can understand why that one would choose Wake, also Chris Paul and Tim Duncan. Hopefully it isn't Randolph.

I agree, what we have to stack up against Wake is very solid. But, if the question is "Why would a kid of his caliber go to Wake?", don't you think the story of your coach almost single handedly carrying his team to a national championship is compelling to someone of any age? Don't you think that it adds credibility to the coach?

To be blunt, no. It has nothing to do with the experience the kid will have in college, the resources available to develop his game, or the likelihood that the program has the tools necessary to get him to the next level. And if a kid was jazzed about a guy who almost single handedly led his team to a championship being his coach, we have GMac.

To be blunt, no. It has nothing to do with the experience the kid will have in college, the resources available to develop his game, or the likelihood that the program has the tools necessary to get him to the next level. And if a kid was jazzed about a guy who almost single handedly led his team to a championship being his coach, we have GMac.
I am not compelled to recruit for Wake Forest, but I am sure they sell the recruits on Chris Paul, Tim Duncan, the ACC and Danny Manning. And encourage them to google him. And, as much as I love GMac, he was not Danny Manning. You never know what might inspire a kid to choose a school. They just might hit the right kid with the right pitch. The same things that we hope kids pay attention to on the football side, I am sure their fans are hoping kids pay attention to on the basketball side.

I am not compelled to recruit for Wake Forest, but I am sure they sell the recruits on Chris Paul, Tim Duncan, the ACC and Danny Manning. And encourage them to google him. And, as much as I love GMac, he was not Danny Manning. You never know what might inspire a kid to choose a school. They just might hit the right kid with the right pitch. The same things that we hope kids pay attention to on the football side, I am sure their fans are hoping kids pay attention to on the basketball side.
I'm sure they don't have too Google Boeheim;)

I really respect your opinion orangefog but I think a lot of this is you looking at it through your own memory. I thought what Manning did was impressive and remember when he was a really good player in the BNA so I think you are thinking it's tough recruiting against this guy but I just don't think kids today who are 18 are thinking about that. I think he cares about getting into the league and the best opportunity to do that while also winning is what he is going to do. Or at least it is what most recruits will do.

Small private school far removed from its successful athletic tradition landing a four star recruit? Due in part, possibly, to a charismatic head coach?

Impossible, IMO.

I really respect your opinion orangefog but I think a lot of this is you looking at it through your own memory. I thought what Manning did was impressive and remember when he was a really good player in the BNA so I think you are thinking it's tough recruiting against this guy but I just don't think kids today who are 18 are thinking about that. I think he cares about getting into the league and the best opportunity to do that while also winning is what he is going to do. Or at least it is what most recruits will do.
No, I don't think that it is especially tough recruiting against Danny Manning. I am saying that maybe 1 out of 10 kids may learn about Danny Manning and then be more intrigued by him and maybe playing for him. I don't remember him in the NBA at all (the Clipper effect), but he was one of the best high school and college players of his time, and the run he had with Kansas was legendary. Someone asked why a kid would go there, I am just saying a kid MAY be intrigued by Manning's career.

"This school has produced the likes of Donovan McNabb, Larry Csonka, and Jim Brown."

"Who cares about Danny Manning?"
I am coming across as a card carrying member of the Danny Manning fan club. I am not. I do appreciate what he did at Kansas, but I don't think about him more than once or twice a day, I swear.

"This school has produced the likes of Donovan McNabb, Larry Csonka, and Jim Brown."

O13: Andrew White to Cuse!

Board: All the Likes!

O13: Brandon Randolph to Wake.

Board: Whoa, pump the brakes bro.

???

I'll never understand why some revel in opportunities to trash the fanbase, Doc.

Last edited:
I am coming across as a card carrying member of the Danny Manning fan club. I am not. I do appreciate what he did at Kansas, but I don't think about him more than once or twice a day, I swear.
This was all started by Orangeman13. Then once the punches started coming your way orangefog you notice he was no where to be found. I mean the guy is like Rick Pitino once the strippers start righting books.

Both really odd takes, Doc.

I'll never understand why some revel in opportunities to trash the fanbase.

I'm not trashing anyone, because I have the same feelings as everyone else. Swear.

But the same fanbase that's incredulous that a four star basketball recruit wouldn't wait around for a SU offer, or select a Wake Forest-caliber program over us, is the same fanbase that loses its mind when a for star football recruit pcks a factory over SU. And I've always found that funny.

Anyway that's my #hottake.

Gonna have to condradict O13 here, Syracuse's biggest threat here is Arizona. I wouldn't be surprised if we had commits from Green, Randolph and Brissett within the next 2 months

I hope you are right, but there must be something to this. 5 writers over there have chosen WF within 2 hours. I know they tend to be lemmings, but this is Wake, not UK or Duke...

remove the 2 4 7 spaces...

http://2 4 7 sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Brandon-Randolph-at-Westtown-School-163587/CurrentExpertPredictions

Small private school far removed from its successful athletic tradition landing a four star recruit? Due in part, possibly, to a charismatic head coach?

Impossible, IMO.
I see what you did there. Nice avatar, btw. ;)

This is the exact thing that drives me completely insane. People arguing on the football board about how prestigious our history is with guys that played before current recruits were alive. Then over on the bball board, a school with Tim Duncan and Chris Paul that recruits have watched play for their entire life don't mean anything whatsoever. Its so bizarre.

FrancoPizza said:
Well that sucks.

If so, SU doesn't seem to be making a hard press on anyone else of significance at that position.

This is the exact thing that drives me completely insane. People arguing on the football board about how prestigious our history is with guys that played before current recruits were alive. Then over on the bball board, a school with Tim Duncan and Chris Paul that recruits have watched play for their entire life don't mean anything whatsoever. Its so bizarre.

I don't think it is that bizarre. What is being talked about is how important it would be for a kid to be coached by a guy who was a great player a long time ago (at another program, btw). If a player wants to follow in Danny Manning's footsteps, he's more likely to go to Kansas than WFU. I guess the equivalent would be if Syracuse Football hired Doug Flutie as HC. Would that draw in recruits? I suspect not. Could be wrong though.