Class of 2024 - SG Jalil Bethea (PA) Offered | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 SG Jalil Bethea (PA) Offered

If we play guard-centric, up-tempo basketball and put Judah and JJ in the league, we will have no problem grabbing a stud guard from the portal.

Obviously we need to have a good season and this sudden development really sucks but we will be fine. Feels good to say that and actually believe it.

IMG_2668.jpeg

Nah this sucks. Will have to be aggressive in the portal to bridge to 2025.

Rooting for Jalil to decide on Ignite at this point as well as us beating the Canes. At least with Kansas they are offering more than just a stupidly large bag. Miami has bags and a team that looms to be worse this year and up for debate in 2024 even if Bethea is headed south.

And this is why recruiting is so crazy and why I feel for the coaches. They worked harder on this kid than anyone, believed in him early, talked to him everyday and got nothing. It’s part of the business, but it’s wild times now and this kid blowing up was the worst thing to happen. I was more concerned with G league than Miami and they legit pulled a rabbit out of the hat apparently or money out of the bank. Crazy crazy crazy

And this is why recruiting is so crazy and why I feel for the coaches. They worked harder on this kid than anyone, believed in him early, talked to him everyday and got nothing. It’s part of the business, but it’s wild times now and this kid blowing up was the worst thing to happen. I was more concerned with G league than Miami and they legit pulled a rabbit out of the hat apparently or money out of the bank. Crazy crazy crazy

Yeah it's wild. Honestly it seems that even winning isn't as big of a deal with some of these top 5-10 kids either. Miami could be a bubble team over both the next couple years... or worse..and it doesn't matter. Wild.

Well said. Everyone cares about family and fit until they see the bag.
As I was saying above in this thread.

Nobody should be down on the staff for this one. They worked their tails off. So we don't get the kid for a one year stint. We have Choppa and Freeman coming in and if we do what we think we are capable of this year we will have an even stronger profile for recruiting.

This is just a bump in the road and we probably could get a comparable player (as good as Bethea will be as a freshman) in the portal.

This will not break the momentum Red and the staff has built. Can't wait for the season to start.

As I was saying above in this thread.

Nobody should be down on the staff for this one. They worked their tails off. So we don't get the kid for a one year stint. We have Choppa and Freeman coming in and if we do what we think we are capable of this year we will have an even stronger profile for recruiting.

This is just a bump in the road and we probably could get a comparable player (as good as Bethea will be as a freshman) in the portal.

This will not break the momentum Red and the staff has built. Can't wait for the season to start.

Spot on. We all would have preferred he be orange and that won't change but there won't be a lack of talent in thr portal available

Please hear me as I write this, I’m not making an assertion or statement at all, just wondering…

It’s felt like over the years that the SU staff has been really confident about their position with a recruit, only to seemingly be off or misread the reality of that case.

Is that at all a possibility with Bethea, thinking they were in a better or different position with him then was actually reality?

Please hear me as I write this, I’m not making an assertion or statement at all, just wondering…

It’s felt like over the years that the SU staff has been really confident about their position with a recruit, only to seemingly be off or misread the reality of that case.

Is that at all a possibility with Bethea, thinking they were in a better or different position with him then was actually reality?
Dude…I put my ear RIGHT next to my monitor...I didn't hear a thing. Sorry bro.

I mean, every recruiting "expert" said we were in the lead a few weeks ago. Money talks, this is the new NCAA.

That was a problem under JB, but I don’t think it is much of a problem now.

Nobody thought he was going to Miami recently. That goes for analysts and a certain former popular poster here.

This may sound like sour grapes, but Jalil might not have been that great of a fit for us. He is an incredible talent, and I would have loved to have him, but from what we've heard he was sold on coming here to be a point guard. He averaged less than 2 assists per game in EYBL this year and didnt really look like a pg. I know it worked out with Judah (although there were some early struggles) in terms of a combo guard becoming more of a point but thats not always the case and we've spent a decent amount of the last 10 years complaining about us trying to pigeonhole shooting/combo guards into the point guard position and seeing lackluster results. If we go out to the portal after the season and get a true point that can score a bit to replace Judah, it could end up being a net positive for us.
good lord...I mean...I knew this was coming, just still seems crazy to me

In today's age of roster building, I try not to get too worked up about recruiting anymore. If Judah and JJ perform how we know they can, we'll surely have plenty of interest in getting great players to replace them. Not to mention some of the talent we already have on the roster.

Still, I feel for Red on this one. Not even getting an official visit has to hurt. Unfortunately, this just reeks of Klutch/Rich Paul's doing and I don't get the sense Cuse is a preferred destination for that agency. I think it's super important that Red or a new recruiting position establishes the necessary relationships with these top agencies because NIL has opened the door for them to legally steer kids to the $$$ while in College. Agencies and shoe companies were always driving a lot of these kid's path, with evidence of this from the FBI report from a few years back. Now they can do it openly. Have to adapt to this reality or our ability to bring in top talent could really suffer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom