Class of 2024 - SG Jalil Bethea (PA) Offered | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 SG Jalil Bethea (PA) Offered

weird, 247 didnt show him in syracuse's "Top Recruits" bottom section
247 is weird because they didn’t exist back then. From what I remember, Rivals and Scout had him solidly in the top 10 and ESPN in the mid teens.

So were Fab Melo, Waiters, Tyler Ennis, McCullough ... Benny Williams was top 25 per Rivals.
Those guys were all in the mid teens to twenties. I think that will be our sweet spot. If we get a roster full of top 50 guys with a few top 20 guys sprinkled in, we should be near the top 4 in the league every year and make the tournament with expectations of sweet 16 every year.

Please hear me as I write this, I’m not making an assertion or statement at all, just wondering…

It’s felt like over the years that the SU staff has been really confident about their position with a recruit, only to seemingly be off or misread the reality of that case.

Is that at all a possibility with Bethea, thinking they were in a better or different position with him then was actually reality?
Like previous recruits, they didn't misread. They got the rug pulled out from underneath them when they least expected it because of the standing they had. Kids lie and they lie a lot during the recruiting process. Nothing is official until the LOI is signed which is why I don't get excited when someone says they're 1000% committed. Taking an official is when people are flipped or make a decision. With "NIL" (it's in quotes for a reason) around, they're being introduced to boosters and asked what's their number.

We will absolutely be fine everyone. Portal will be our bff after this upcoming season

If we are going to be conservative with NIL, can’t rely too much on portal. Transfers cost more than HS kids. We’re going to need a good mix of both.

Plus, next year is last year of COVID kids. We’ll see how good the talent pool will be in the portal going forward without the COVID kids.

If we are going to be conservative with NIL, can’t rely too much on portal. Transfers cost more than HS kids. We’re going to need a good mix of both.

Plus, next year is last year of COVID kids. We’ll see how good the talent pool will be in the portal going forward without the COVID kids.
Who said we were conservative with NIL? Getting outbid doesn't make you conservative. A lot happened in this recruitment. First, his agent and the ass't coach at Miami have a good relationship. Second, Miami is a better place for a young guy than Syracuse is. Third, Miami has been really hitting it in the Philly market.

Last edited:
Who said we were conservative with NIL? Getting outbid doesn't make you conservative. A lot happened in this recruitment. First, his agent and the ass't coach at Miami have a good relationship. Second, Miami is a better place for a young guy than Syracuse is. Third, Miami has been really hitting it in the Philly market.
Yup. DJ Irving is the assistant from Philly. It will be an uphill battle against them in that market. We should fare better in DC and New York.

i've been over on football board for 6 months, who was primary recruiter on this kid?

Those guys were all in the mid teens to twenties. I think that will be our sweet spot. If we get a roster full of top 50 guys with a few top 20 guys sprinkled in, we should be near the top 4 in the league every year and make the tournament with expectations of sweet 16 every year.
I completely agree with this. I would take a roster full of guys who stick around for 2 years (maybe 3) and who we can afford. Take Mintz for example... having him back for a second year is like getting a top 10 recruit and he knows the system (although next year that's obviously changing - although he knows the coaches, has familiarity with the program, etc.). We will compete with anyone with a roster full of top 50 guys, with the right coaching. Hopefully Red can handle the latter.

When it comes to a PG, unless the kid is a top 30ish type player we're probably better off getting a veteran from the portal.

You’re a COVID kid

The roller coaster ride on catching up from Page 30 to current made my stomach turn. From allegedly leading as of 2 weeks ago to getting shut out of our OV before decision is quite the ride. Ouch.

Love hoops but glad I've mostly steered away from the recruiting scene since Q. Green. Way to unpredictable these days despite all of the inside information being floated around nationally and on this board.

Until the NLI is signed you really don't have anything in recruiting anymore. Sad but true.

Onward and upward. Go Cuse!

I tend to agree. The university just isn’t willing to do what is necessary to land top ten kids. I don’t blame them, it’s dirty business.
It’s not a dirty business anymore. Now, it’s legal.

We have not landed a top ten recruit in twenty years. Carmelo was the last one.
Rutgers(!!!) could land TWO top 10 players in the 2024 recruiting class alone. The world is upside down. File under: Depressing news of the day.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom