Class of 2024 - SG Jalil Bethea (PA) Offered | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 SG Jalil Bethea (PA) Offered

Who said we were conservative with NIL? Getting outbid doesn't make you conservative. A lot happened in this recruitment. First, his agent and the ass't coach at Miami have a good relationship. Second, Miami is a better place for a young guy than Syracuse is. Third, Miami has been really hitting it in the Philly market.

Getting outbid means you either don’t have the money or you don’t think a kid is worth the money.

I understand the relationship part and how AAU teams will get paid to funnel their kids to certain schools but the staff essentially wasted 2 years to try to get a kid only to be like he’s not worth the amount of money he’s about to get paid.

Getting outbid means you either don’t have the money or you don’t think a kid is worth the money.

I understand the relationship part and how AAU teams will get paid to funnel their kids to certain schools but the staff essentially wasted 2 years to try to get a kid only to be like he’s not worth the amount of money he’s about to get paid.
There is a price at which it doesn’t make sense, everyone has a Maximum worth to groups and they’re not always the same.

How old are you?

This isn’t close to one our worst recruitment surprises if you followed things here 10 and 20 years ago.

Your view and a few others does not reflect our current situation.

Well, as it turns out, we weren't outbid. That either we or Bethea know of, anyway. We didn't get a chance to give our last NIL bid. Bethea's dad wanted Miami. His mom wanted Syracuse. The connection between the other people was just too strong. I'm sure they made a great deal available to him. I am not positive that it was going to beat our highest deal. We will never know because we didn't get a chance to give it.

Sometimes it pays off later in the transfer portal like with jj starling and chance westry.

Well, as it turns out, we weren't outbid. That either we or Bethea know of, anyway. We didn't get a chance to give our last NIL bid. Bethea's dad wanted Miami. His mom wanted Syracuse. The connection between the other people was just too strong. I'm sure they made a great deal available to him. I am not positive that it was going to beat our highest deal. We will never know because we didn't get a chance to give it.
Appreciate the info, Dash. However, this kinda hurts even more. Although I will say, glad to at least hear we probably weren't beat out on NIL. I do wonder why the timetable moved up. Why the rush?

We need two players to leave next year just to have room for our two recruits already in the fold.
Yeah, will be interesting.

It’s been said Cuse would have Bethea run point. But, assuming Judah is gone….we still could have Starling, Westry, and Copeland that can slide to that role.

I think the days of us being caught with 3 guards on the roster and one ballhandler who has to play 38 mpg are long gone.

Thomas Bryant round 2?

We don’t need to find diamonds in the rough or any Kadary’s. We just brought over Starling, Chance and Cuffe with a class of Moore and Freeman lol we’re f’in rolling. Some of you are nuts.
I will reserve using the term "rolling" until we make the NCAA Tournament under Red Autry. And maybe win a game or two.

If we go 18-10 this year and earn a 10 seed, is that "rolling"? I'll probably take it, but it's far from rolling.

I will reserve using the term "rolling" until we make the NCAA Tournament under Red Autry. And maybe win a game or two.

If we go 18-10 this year and earn a 10 seed, is that "rolling"? I'll probably take it, but it's far from rolling.
If we go 18-10 we will be in big trouble because we would’ve missed 4 or so games

We'll be fine. Personally i think that transfers are better as you are bringing in a player that has proven themselves against much greater competition. They most likely will not transfer out, they are more mature physically and mentally.
HS kids regardless of rankings are a crap shoot.

We'll be fine. Personally i think that transfers are better as you are bringing in a player that has proven themselves against much greater competition. They most likely will not transfer out, they are more mature physically and mentally.
HS kids regardless of rankings are a crap shoot.
Most of the time that’s probably true. Not for Top 10 guys. But I agree - our program can withstand this.

Yeah, will be interesting.

It’s been said Cuse would have Bethea run point. But, assuming Judah is gone….we still could have Starling, Westry, and Copeland that can slide to that role.

I think the days of us being caught with 3 guards on the roster and one ballhandler who has to play 38 mpg are long gone.
Starling will likely be gone too, imo. I agree we’d probably still have Westry and Q and they both will hopefully be ready to play PG and have big upside. But I imagine we’ll also hit the portal.

Starling will likely be gone too, imo. I agree we’d probably still have Westry and Q and they both will hopefully be ready to play PG and have big upside. But I imagine we’ll also hit the portal.
Yeah, good point….if Starling progresses as expected and has a good year, he could be gone - and that would actually be a good thing because it means he had a good year.

Agreed on portal if we lose Mintz and Starling - though it’s nice to be portaling for depth or upgrades as opposed to being able to actually field a team with enough players(as it felt like in the past sometimes)

Only want to say that Jalil Bethea was not a sure thing coming to play at Syracuse. There was a lot of optimism and belief by the Syracuse coaching staff. Guess that there is still a chance but the X traffic points elsewhere. If he does come then great and if he does not come to Syracuse to play, then oh well. Have to believe that the Syracuse staff as well as next year recruits probably promised him their next born children and that was not enough. Supposedly, he wanted to play for a university in a family environment. Syracuse fit that requirement but did not meet the intangibles that Bethea and his family required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom