Class of 2024 - SG Jalil Bethea (PA) Offered | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 SG Jalil Bethea (PA) Offered

If I was gonna be in college for a year and make a buttload of money before I go off and become a lottery pick I could do a lot worse than go to Miami.

He’s also rejecting Kansas as well, which will never not be funny to me

While it does not feel good that a player of a caliber of Jalil Bethea has chosen not to play at Syracuse, it is not the same feeling as when Quade Green led Syracuse down the path and then changing to play at University of Kentucky after a last minute visit to that university.

With respect to Bethea, he has the right to select any school to play for with any obligation to any other school. I wish him as well as any other player well in playing at their schools of choice. There can not be any bad feelings toward him because he is definitely getting what he has been looking for.

At some point, a highly ranked high school recruit will select Syracuse to play for in college.

I have noticed a change in direction over the past few years with respect to players that once turned down Syracuse have been renewing interest in playing at Syracuse. For Cole Swider, it was a good decision. Hopefully, the opportunities for JJ Starling, Chance Westry, Kyle Cuffe, Jr, Donnie Freeman and Choppa Moore will be just as good.

Again, congratulations to the coaching staff on their recruiting efforts, hard work and successes this past summer. Although I enjoy the Pateron recruiting podcasts I disagree with the podcaster on the way he places dispersion on the lead recruiter for Bethea by pointing to their track record. It is easy to cast stones at someone else when the person throwing the stone has never been a recruiter at this level. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I
While it does not feel good that a player of a caliber of Jalil Bethea has chosen not to play at Syracuse, it is not the same feeling as when Quade Green led Syracuse down the path and then changing to play at University of Kentucky after a last minute visit to that university.

With respect to Bethea, he has the right to select any school to play for with any obligation to any other school. I wish him as well as any other player well in playing at their schools of choice. There can not be any bad feelings toward him because he is definitely getting what he has been looking for.

At some point, a highly ranked high school recruit will select Syracuse to play for in college.

I have noticed a change in direction over the past few years with respect to players that once turned down Syracuse have been renewing interest in playing at Syracuse. For Cole Swider, it was a good decision. Hopefully, the opportunities for JJ Starling, Chance Westry, Kyle Cuffe, Jr, Donnie Freeman and Choppa Moore will be just as good.

Again, congratulations to the coaching staff on their recruiting efforts, hard work and successes this past summer. Although I enjoy the Pateron recruiting podcasts I disagree with the podcaster on the way he places dispersion on the lead recruiter for Bethea by pointing to their track record. It is easy to cast stones at someone else when the person throwing the stone has never been a recruiter at this level. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Bethea to Miami doesn't sting at all unlike other recruits in the past who we were highly invested in. For me, that is growth and realization that no matter how much work our recruiters put in and all the glowing comments from the recruit, excitement should be muted until the NLI is signed. The kid was ours not too long ago when he was ranked in the 20 to 30 range. When he made a huge leap into the top 5 and KLUTCH Sports got involved, I knew our chances were not good. KLUTCH is about the top blue blood schools, hot city and access (Miami), or G League Development teams (Overtime Elite/Ignite). We are at the start of rebuilding our program and reputation, and I believe that Coach A will soon be able to put us in the mix for players of Bethea's caliber.

I

Bethea to Miami doesn't sting at all unlike other recruits in the past who we were highly invested in. For me, that is growth and realization that no matter how much work our recruiters put in and all the glowing comments from the recruit, excitement should be muted until the NLI is signed. The kid was ours not too long ago when he was ranked in the 20 to 30 range. When he made a huge leap into the top 5 and KLUTCH Sports got involved, I knew our chances were not good. KLUTCH is about the top blue blood schools, hot city and access (Miami), or G League Development teams (Overtime Elite/Ignite). We are at the start of rebuilding our program and reputation, and I believe that Coach A will soon be able to put us in the mix for players of Bethea's caliber.
Don't forget the AAU/Team Final connection w/ the Miami assistant. I think that was as big a factor as anything.

I mean, I agree that in the landscape of NCAABB Miami is a backwater...and their coach aint all that.

but in the landscape of young, successful athletes..."taking one's talents to South Beach" is pretty much as good as it gets

not sure why anyone would want to underestimate the allure that living in Miami might have for a young guy.
The allure has little to do with basketball though. However they did have Rick Barry and who could forget Constantin Popa?;)

Yeah, this.

I mean, yes, The Ewe's hoops pedigree is meh, at best.
But they've been decent of late, and that's a big thing.

Also, to your point:
Lawrence KS and Syracuse NY aren't exactly the same as South Beach.

Plus - $ub$tantial other rea$on$ to go there.

Yep. Ca$h and Miami's "perks", Kan$a$ ca$h/Champion$hips or Cu$e and 30K crowds.

miami has been pretty good lately...so its not little, imo
They’re about to go back into the rear view mirror where they belong.

Last edited:
are you being sarcastic?

Miami is a prime destination for a male basketball player, regardless of anything going on inside the lines.
One would think they’d have actually been successful over the years then?

Last year was their first team I can ever remember doing anything significant.

miami has been pretty good lately...so its not little, imo
Disagree. Before the last two years, Larranaga was starting to feel the hot seat heat for the three seasons prior. How quickly people forget. Here’s his overall and conference records from 2017-2021, all ending with no postseason appearance.
2018–19 Jim Larranaga 14–18 5–13 T–11th
2019–20 Jim Larranaga 15–16 7–13 T–10th
2020–21 Jim Larranaga 10–17 4–15 13th

Last edited:
I mean, I agree that in the landscape of NCAABB Miami is a backwater...and their coach aint all that.

but in the landscape of young, successful athletes..."taking one's talents to South Beach" is pretty much as good as it gets

not sure why anyone would want to underestimate the allure that living in Miami might have for a young guy.
Living in Miami as someone who is young means nothing if you have no money. It is expensive to do anything down there. Luckily for Bethea, the check was cut so expenses and going out won't be a problem.

Disagree. Before the past two years, Larranaga was starting to feel the hot seat heat for the three seasons prior. How quickly people forget. Here’s his overall and conference records from 2017-2021, all ending with no postseason appearance.
2018–19 Jim Larranaga 14–18 5–13 T–11th
2019–20 Jim Larranaga 15–16 7–13 T–10th
2020–21 Jim Larranaga 10–17 4–15 13th
The whole world has a "what have you done for me lately" demeanor. Sad. People talk right now like Miami is a premier basketball program and Syracuse is trash just because of the last two years.

Who Is That Jeremy Renner GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Living in Miami as someone who is young means nothing if you have no money. It is expensive to do anything down there. Luckily for Bethea, the check was cut so expenses and going out won't be a problem.
There’s also the small fish in a big pond thing. Down there, he’s not the star he’d be in a place like Syracuse.

People don’t give a hoot about Miami Hurricanes basketball.

Though perhaps he doesn’t actually care about that and it’s really about the staff and connections. Or maybe he wants to be just another guy in a major city that’s focused on other things.

Last edited:
True. But how many have they developed to be NBA players?
Not at all recent, but John Salmons was a Philly guy who went to Miami and then the NBA.

Though I sit more in the “pros are recruited, not developed” camp in most situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom