Class of 2025 - SG Kiyan Anthony (NY) Offered | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 SG Kiyan Anthony (NY) Offered

How Red handles the Center situation once the season ends will be very telling. Personally I think he's going to do what needs to be done, as he wants Syracuse to be a serious program again.
Who would they bring in. Also, you can’t just run kids off. He had the chance to do that when he became coach.

Red's life will be much easier if Hima and McLeod have degrees in May. They both can't be on the roster and an ACC-level center needs to be portal priority number one unless JJ leaves with Judah.
Freeman.

Who would they bring in. Also, you can’t just run kids off. He had the chance to do that when he became coach.
I have no clue as I sit here today, December 18, who will be available in the portal in the Spring. But if a very good center comes into the portal, I hope Red makes space in the center room. Also, Maliq should definitely continue to get small-ball center minutes, and maybe Freeman does too although he's very skinny right now, but I'd like our traditional center to be better than McLeod and Hima.

Saw GMAC at the airport at 4am today. Was wondering where he was going.
For those who don’t know the City of Palms Classic is one of the best high school basketball tournaments out there with over 40 players participating this year who are already committed to play D-1 basketball!

Kiyan’s team plays again at least two more times and I am home for the holidays and am hoping to make it to at least one of them to catch Kiyan live! If I do I’ll report back with my impressions!

Last edited:
For those who don’t know the City of Palms Classic is one of the best high school basketball tournaments out there with over 40 players participating this year who are already committed to play D-1 basketball!

Kiyan’s team places again at least two more times and I am home for the holidays so and am hoping to make it to at least one of them to catch Kiyan live! If I do I’ll report back with my impressions!
Where are the games?

The things is you probably can play Maliq and Freeman together. And then just pick the match up. It will be helpful to have both of them for a small ball center lineup.
So you’re saying a starting 5 of-
Maliq, Freeman, Cope/Bell, JJ, Chance
I can dig that.
Back to topic, I wish Kiyan would commit!

So you’re saying a starting 5 of-
Maliq, Freeman, Cope/Bell, JJ, Chance
I can dig that.
Back to topic, I wish Kiyan would commit!
This the Mrs.?
1703071220961.png

The tournament is held in Fort Myers, Florida. If you're looking for winter vacation with a dose of basketball sunny Southwest Florida is not a bad choice!
I am in Palm Coast, Florida and I work in Jacksonville. I go to Ft. Myers for work sometimes. I've seen nothing of Ft. Myers other than my hotel and our quarry.

Kiyan’s team plays again at least two more times and I am home for the holidays and am hoping to make it to at least one of them to catch Kiyan live! If I do I’ll report back with my impressions!
Wear that block S!

You can 100% run off kids but I don’t think Red would be the type to.

The ND coach just said in a press conference yesterday that he will help his kids transfer out (probably the least talented P5 roster)

First half in the books for Kiyan and Long Island Lutheran. Going to half they are up 24-16, they were up 22-8 with 4 minutes left in the second quarter before Basco went on a 8-2 run to close the gap to 8.

Kiyan had an unremarkable first half with 3 point on 1-4 from the field and 1-2 from deep with one pretty assist in transition. He did not start and was the second man off the bench. He definitely was forcing things early and when he finally made his first shot he gave a small fist pump and seemed a little more in control after that.

He handled the ball a lot for his team when on the court and looks comfortable running the offense and breaking down his defender. At one point he got 7-1 sophomore Keiner Asprilla switched out on to him on the perimeter and he immediately attacked the rim where his shot was erased by the big.

Long Island only has 9 guys on the roster and I think it’s fair to say every single one of them will play somewhere for college. They are a stingy defense and have won most of the 50/50 balls thus far.

The most impactful player so far has been 6-11 FSU commit Alier Maluk. He is a fantastic athlete who has a nose for the ball and crashes the boards hard on both ends. He hasn’t gotten on the scoreboard but still has his fingerprints all over the game.

First half in the books for Kiyan and Long Island Lutheran. Going to half they are up 24-16, they were up 22-8 with 4 minutes left in the second quarter before Basco went on a 8-2 run to close the gap to 8.

Kiyan had an unremarkable first half with 3 point on 1-4 from the field and 1-2 from deep with one pretty assist in transition. He did not start and was the second man off the bench. He definitely was forcing things early and when he finally made his first shot he gave a small fist pump and seemed a little more in control after that.

He handled the ball a lot for his team when on the court and looks comfortable running the offense and breaking down his defender. At one point he got 7-1 sophomore Keiner Asprilla switched out on to him on the perimeter and he immediately attacked the rim where his shot was erased by the big.

Long Island only has 9 guys on the roster and I think it’s fair to say every single one of them will play somewhere for college. They are a stingy defense and have won most of the 50/50 balls thus far.

The most impactful player so far has been 6-11 FSU commit Alier Maluk. He is a fantastic athlete who has a nose for the ball and crashes the boards hard on both ends. He hasn’t gotten on the scoreboard but still has his fingerprints all over the game.
Finally free from family obligations and back to recap the rest of the game. Unfortunately it just wasn't Kiyan's night as he finished 1-6 from the field and 1-4 behind the arc finishing the game with the three points he had at half. He did grab a couple boards and had another nice dime (could've had a couple more if teammate could finish a little better through contact) and finished the night playing only 12 minutes. I was really watching how he looked on defense with the offense struggling and he stayed engaged on the court, got through screens smoothly, and had a couple of nice possessions where he defending in the post and did a nice job denying the entry pass each time. He had one possession switched out on to Bosco's star and was very engaged and was doing a nice job staying in front of him before picking up a ticky tack foul. Overall I would say he wasn't really a negative or a positive on the defensive end, but you can see the foundations of a good defender if he continues to work at that end of the court.

Bosco made a late push to make the game interesting before falling to Lutheran 58-55. Bosco got no production from their bench and their star player, Rutgers commit Dylan Harper, had a rough game and was visibly frustrated. He finished the game with 24 points on 7-25 shooting and 0-7 from deep with five boards and four steals. I would sum up his entire offensive game as "drive and be bigger that his defender". He constantly drove into two, three, and sometimes even four defenders with no real plan to score, he used this strategy to get to the line 13 times making 10 of them. His shot from deep was off all night and the shot selection left me puzzled at times. Defensively his strength is again that he overpowers smaller players, he basically ripped the ball out of a player's hands for one of his steals before taking it coast to coast for one of his few clean looks at the hoop. Of course you can't judge a player off one bad game, but I feel he could be in for an inconsistent freshman year as defenders get a scouting report on him and crowd driving lanes with larger players than he's currently seeing.

Here is the full Box Score for anyone interested. His team plays again Friday at 9PM and I'm hoping to make it back again to see him play again and hopefully have a better game.

Final note, Melo was in the building. He showed up early second half with no fanfare and was sitting courtside about 8 rows in front of us. He had his cap pulled low and certainly seemed to be keeping a lower profile. As the game drew to a close the fans started moving in his direction and he took a couple pictures with some kids before making a swift exit to the locker room.

Finally free from family obligations and back to recap the rest of the game. Unfortunately it just wasn't Kiyan's night as he finished 1-6 from the field and 1-4 behind the arc finishing the game with the three points he had at half. He did grab a couple boards and had another nice dime (could've had a couple more if teammate could finish a little better through contact) and finished the night playing only 12 minutes. I was really watching how he looked on defense with the offense struggling and he stayed engaged on the court, got through screens smoothly, and had a couple of nice possessions where he defending in the post and did a nice job denying the entry pass each time. He had one possession switched out on to Bosco's star and was very engaged and was doing a nice job staying in front of him before picking up a ticky tack foul. Overall I would say he wasn't really a negative or a positive on the defensive end, but you can see the foundations of a good defender if he continues to work at that end of the court.

Bosco made a late push to make the game interesting before falling to Lutheran 58-55. Bosco got no production from their bench and their star player, Rutgers commit Dylan Harper, had a rough game and was visibly frustrated. He finished the game with 24 points on 7-25 shooting and 0-7 from deep with five boards and four steals. I would sum up his entire offensive game as "drive and be bigger that his defender". He constantly drove into two, three, and sometimes even four defenders with no real plan to score, he used this strategy to get to the line 13 times making 10 of them. His shot from deep was off all night and the shot selection left me puzzled at times. Defensively his strength is again that he overpowers smaller players, he basically ripped the ball out of a player's hands for one of his steals before taking it coast to coast for one of his few clean looks at the hoop. Of course you can't judge a player off one bad game, but I feel he could be in for an inconsistent freshman year as defenders get a scouting report on him and crowd driving lanes with larger players than he's currently seeing.

Here is the full Box Score for anyone interested. His team plays again Friday at 9PM and I'm hoping to make it back again to see him play again and hopefully have a better game.

Final note, Melo was in the building. He showed up early second half with no fanfare and was sitting courtside about 8 rows in front of us. He had his cap pulled low and certainly seemed to be keeping a lower profile. As the game drew to a close the fans started moving in his direction and he took a couple pictures with some kids before making a swift exit to the locker room.
Thank you for the recap.

I’m hoping to go tonight to watch the games where Conor Flagg is in one and a later game when Donnie Freeman plays against several of his Team Takeover teammate in the late game.

His shot is getting better and better.
I’ve said this before on this thread but you can see on video how much this kid has progressed and hard he has clearly worked on his game. He has gone from Melo’s kid who might be able to shoot to a really well rounded, impressive player. Plus he’s motivated despite coming from means. He would be a terrific get regardless of his last name.