Class of 2020 - SG/SF Alan Griffin (NY / Illinois) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 SG/SF Alan Griffin (NY / Illinois) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did this go from Girard being handed the keys at pg to everyone hating coach, because Buddy was by far the most productive 2g on the roster? First off, do not put words in my mouth...you are acting like a UNC fan. Secondly, Goodine was not awful... he never even played enough for anyone to make that kind of assessment. 1-3 mins a game is not by any means a way to evaluate player production. If you think that, then you are uneducated. 3rd, since you bring up Buddy, he was not by far the most productive 2g on the roster, that would be Mr. Elijah Hughes, who was an undersized sf and whose natural position is sg, which is exactly where he will be playing in the NBA. Buddy, as was Girard, were handed over the keys to spots they did not deserve. That's a fact, and that is why we were so bad this year. Stats on his defense reflect that...he was at the bottom of d1 and acc in all defensive categories. Buddy is a nice role player, but he's 1 dimensional and will never play in the NBA.

That’s rich, coming from the self proclaimed fan girl, #1 Goodine cheerleader. Stating opinions are facts, and calling people uneducated.

I hope this doesn’t cost us Benny Williams. Watching some of our old games, it was shocking how much talent was on the bench. Three bigs who could play, and bringing Southerland and Grant off the bench. Teams will not have that luxury anymore. No patience.

Few thoughts:
  • For those that cannot remember his father, Adrian Griffin, was a helluva player at Seton Hall (and had a lengthy pro/NBA career). Real good pedigree. We also now have three players whose fathers were players: Buddy, Alan, JG3.
  • This is cosmic Big East karma for us missing out on Khalil Whitney and having Taurean Thompson fake his own death while in our program.
  • Add Tape ... keep Braswell, and we have top 15 talent.
Great get. We don't have Top 15 talent in my opinion.

I hope this doesn’t cost us Benny Williams. Watching some of our old games, it was shocking how much talent was on the bench. Three bigs who could play, and bringing Southerland and Grant off the bench. Teams will not have that luxury anymore. No patience.

Guys don’t want to wait their turn anymore.

Not sure about top 15 talent, but we could be ranked next year if we get tape. Maybe not preseason, but I believe we will have most of the pieces, minus a true pg, to get us there. Girard is serviceable, as he handles the ball well and can drive to the basket...he needs to work on distribution, defense and not taking bad shots. Buddy needs to work on passing, lateral quickness, and defense. Guerrier needs to finish better, start hitting outside shots and learning to pass. Those 3 need to improve the most, and with Tape and Griffin, we could be a top 25 team and contender.

Braswell doesn't make or break us, but he showed potential with his shooting and athleticism...those are the players you want to keep who turn into the James Southerlands's, Josh Paces, Kueth Duany's and CJ Fair's...they are glue guys by their senior years.
Good post. Pretty much lines up with every thought I have about the potential of next years teams.

The teams that are elite do. If you are a top tier program (like we were not long ago) winning solves everything. When you are a middle of the pack ACC team, if the kid feels he can play more elsewhere his first year then yes I see why they choose elsewhere. It’s all about winning. If you are elite plenty of quality players will funnel into the program and it all works itself out.

Except Grad transfers all transfers under the current rules have to sit a year unless granted a waiver by the NCAA.
This could be the year the NCAA waives that rule and let all transfers play. They moved their decision deadline to June rather than this spring.

Let's say they keep the one year sit transfer rule, many players (Griffin included) should be granted hardship if they are transferring to a school that is closer to home due to COVID-19.

But the NCAA will NCAA, so we're back to you never know (either way).

This could be the year the NCAA waives that rule and let all transfers play. They moved their decision deadline to June rather than this spring.

Let's say they keep the one year sit transfer rule, many players (Griffin included) should be granted hardship if they are transferring to a school that is closer to home due to COVID-19.

But the NCAA will NCAA, so we're back to you never know (either way).

He'll get a hardship waiver. We're the closest program to Toronto.

Few thoughts:
  • For those that cannot remember his father, Adrian Griffin, was a helluva player at Seton Hall (and had a lengthy pro/NBA career). Real good pedigree. We also now have three players whose fathers were players: Buddy, Alan, JG3.
  • This is cosmic Big East karma for us missing out on Khalil Whitney and having Taurean Thompson fake his own death while in our program.
  • Add Tape ... keep Braswell, and we have top 15 talent.

LOL!! Taurean apparently forgot to stop faking being dead at Seton Hall.

But on the plus side, he’s got the inside track for the starring role in the new “Weekend at Bernie Mac’s” movie coming out. :p

I wonder if Alan is close with Trill Williams. They graduated from Stepinac HS together & I believe Trill played hoops. Also, Alan’s sister Aubrey was a former McD AA & a key reserve as a Frosh at UConn this past year.

In 2 years, their father, former Seton Hall/NBA player & current Raptors asst. Adrian Sr., could potentially have children starting at Duke, Syracuse, & UConn Women’s hoops.

I know orange19 (you crack me up btw) or whatever your handle is lol, back to Griffin, and I am ecstatic about this get...He brings a lot to the table which we are losing with Hughes. This is huge!!!
sad walking away.gif

To your point about 'back to Griffin', since he committed - FREEFORALL! :D

Except Grad transfers all transfers under the current rules have to sit a year unless granted a waiver by the NCAA.

As arbitrary as they can be, if Griffin states that with all the uncertainty in the world right now he felt he needed to be closer to home, would the NCAA really deny a waiver request? Particularly with the blanket decision pending and a much more lenient approach of late?

Status
Not open for further replies.