Class of 2020 - SG/SF Alan Griffin (NY / Illinois) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 SG/SF Alan Griffin (NY / Illinois) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Griffin's really going to help offensively. But IINM there's 10-12 minutes for Bras at SF. It's a good opportunity for him coming off an injury year to build confidence and contribute.
Not all all with three center pushing Marek more at forward and Quincy game ready to explode

Buddy needs to work on lateral quickness, and defense.
you know that quickness is mostly god given ability right? Whatever improvements he’s made with workouts he’s probably very close to the ceiling of what he can bring defensively. This isn’t a dion waiter’s situation where he just has to get into game shape and lose the spare tire. Now if he can convince his old man that it’s okay to rest him a few minutes here and there, now that would be a news story.

If we bring in Tape' I think Edwards shirts. That leaves two centers, although I don't think MD will have to slide over much (a good thing). But QG is not a 3 unless his range miraculously improves. I still think he and MD will share the 4.
I'm planting the flag - Edwards is NOT redshirting next season.

Assuming we even have a season.

Illini fan here obviously, just came here to say you guys are gonna love Alan. I was bummed when I heard he was leaving... was maybe my favorite player on the team last year (and he came off the bench, so that’s really saying something).

-Great (and clutch) 3 point shooter (wouldn’t have won at Wisconsin without him; he was HUGE in the last 5 minutes... and he regularly delivered points in key situations)

-he can also take it to the hole surprisingly well (I say surprising, cause he doesn’t do it often), and he even had a few monster alley oops this past season... he doesn’t really do much from midrange though

-has a knack for getting offensive rebounds like no one I’ve seen in an Illini uniform in 20 years of being a fan. We had so many scoring droughts end with Alan getting an offensive rebound...

-brings ENERGY (very passionate player... it’s the reason he got suspended this season when he kicked a purdue player in frustration. Not a bad kid, just lost his cool... but in general this passion is a strength)

-He also LOVES to get under other players’ skin, which is fun to watch (although it gets him in trouble sometimes, like at Purdue)

Basically, a great player who brings a lot to any team... you guys will love him. I was really looking forward to watching his final 2 years at Illinois, but it wasn’t meant to be. Good luck to Alan and cuse going forward!

Last edited:
We could potentially win 20-21 games if we land Tape. Top 15 is nonsense. Hughes would need to return for us to have top 25 hopes.
Hope springs eternal in the offseason. Many took Hughes for granted. We looked like a neutered dog when he was injured. Griff is a nice pickup but I still feel like Seth towns was the sexier preference.

you know that quickness is mostly god given ability right? Whatever improvements he’s made with workouts he’s probably very close to the ceiling of what he can bring defensively. This isn’t a dion waiter’s situation where he just has to get into game shape and lose the spare tire. Now if he can convince his old man that it’s okay to rest him a few minutes here and there, now that would be a news story.
My guess is that having a backup two-guard option (Griffin, sliding over from SF) that shoots better than 30% overall and 12.5% from 3-pt range will make JB waaaaay more likely to get Buddy some more rest. And if either Braswell or Woody can slide into the SF position during those minutes and still give us some scoring/shooting... we just might have something we haven't had in a while...

Heartwarming to see that Allen Griffin was able to bring his son home to play for the Cuse! They should be allowed to be close to each other during these trying times. Hopefully the NCAA will grant a waiver so that he can immediately play for this Dad and with his step brothers Buddy and Autry Jr. ;)

My guess is that having a backup two-guard option (Griffin, sliding over from SF) that shoots better than 30% overall and 12.5% from 3-pt range will make JB waaaaay more likely to get Buddy some more rest. And if either Braswell or Woody can slide into the SF position during those minutes and still give us some scoring/shooting... we just might have something we haven't had in a while...
yah .. a bench.

I'm planting the flag - Edwards is NOT redshirting next season.

Assuming we even have a season.

Its very possible he doesn't, though I hope he does. I have little doubt it will be good for him, but we know the staff won't force him.

And just as a nonsequitur, I think sophomore Guerrier is going to dominate down low with Girard, Boeheim, and Griffin spreading the floor. He's got to improve defensively to earn the minutes, but if he does he's going to put up big offensive numbers.

its hard to take the 1pt guard and the 1 shooting guard and the 1 three we have out when you have no real options..

watch that 2003 game again. when you take out gerry you put in a better 1 or slide him to the 2 or put in a 2 that can do other things. JB is more than willing to sub but he doesnt want way worse when he does it..

We could have slid Hughes to the 2 more but most of the time we didnt have 2 forwards since the centers were already in foul trouble. We can take JG out but then the 1 becomes a place holder at best. Goodine was the only upside answer and he was hurt for most of the spring.

This kid is the better 2 than we had last yr and we need to find a way to get a better 1 option. We have 4 forwards now and 3 guard options now.

Girard
Buddy
QG
Marek
Sid

JBA
Griff
Woody
Richmond
Edwards
Braswell
Tapé?

I'm suddenly a lot more bullish for next year. I think JB is going to Ben a lot more willing to play JG and BB less with a capable shooter able to back them up.

With another outside shooter to replace EH, and a little more consistent outside shooting from Girard, Buddy should be able to be rested more.

Illini fan here obviously, just came here to say you guys are gonna love Alan. I was bummed when I heard he was leaving... was maybe my favorite player on the team last year (and he came off the bench, so that’s really saying something).

-Great (and clutch) 3 point shooter (wouldn’t have won at Wisconsin without him; he was HUGE in the last 5 minutes... and he regularly delivered points in key situations)

-he can also take it to the hole surprisingly well (I say surprising, cause he doesn’t do it often), and he even had a few monster alley oops this past season... he doesn’t really do much from midrange though

-has a knack for getting offensive rebounds like no one I’ve seen in an Illini uniform in 20 years of being a fan. We had so many scoring droughts end with Alan getting an offensive rebound...

-brings ENERGY (very passionate player... it’s the reason he got suspended this season when he kicked a purdue player in frustration. Not a bad kid, just lost his cool... but in general this passion is a strength)

-He also LOVES to get under other players’ skin, which is fun to watch (although it gets him in trouble sometimes, like at Purdue)

Basically, a great player who brings a lot to any team... you guys will love him. I was really looking forward to watching his final 2 years at Illinois, but it wasn’t meant to be. Good luck to Alan and cuse going forward!
Thanks!

Why did he play what looks like somewhat limited minutes?

I ask this while acknowledging that as a Syracuse fan we're used to seeing our good players all play like 35+ a game.

Girard
Buddy
QG
Marek
Sid

JBA
Griff
Woody
Richmond
Edwards
Braswell
Tapé?

I'm suddenly a lot more bullish for next year. I think JB is going to Ben a lot more willing to play JG and BB less with a capable shooter able to back them up.

Still think Griff isn’t coming here to come off the bench. We’ll see, and as Dion can tell you, minutes matter more than starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.