Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 167 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing you'll see a lot of Lydon at the 5 again.

I don't think we'll see a lot of him there. I do like the idea of a small ball lineup with him at the 5 but if Chukwu understands the concepts of the zone and Daquan has improved like expected it'll be hard to take minutes away from them. Especially with TT in the fold now too. Regardless we are going to have a ton of options to go with and can choose the best lineups to play depending on the teams we face and matching up with their personel. This could be a luxury we haven't had since 2012

RF2044 said:
Okay, here are a few things I've heard tonight: [*]It appears that there are two minor things holding things up a bit: [*]AW hasn't gotten 100% assurances of his position and role, which includes if he will start or not if he comes here. He was told what his role would be at MSU, and he rejected it. This fits 100% with what Orangeman13 said about MSU, and why he didn't want to go there. [*]The Olympics are slowing down communication a bit. Not a major issue, not an oversight on JB's part, just making things a bit more difficult, since JB is occupied for the duration of the Olympics. That accounts for the delay. [*]AW has apparently told the staff that he fully intends to come to SU, his family just wants a bit more clarification from the coaching staff about what his role will be. They're comfortable patiently waiting for JB to become available again because coming here is their top choice. The "radio silence" is from JB being gone, not AW going "dark" and incommunicado. At this point, I'm pretty comfortable believing the information that Orangeman13 has shared. It all checks out / aligns--with some of the finer details intentionally left out to protect his "source."

JB wasn't the coach trying to get in touch with him.

HoustonCuse said:
Taking all this at face value - which I do: all I can say is, this better work because I think this type of maneuvering is not going to play very well on the recruiting circuit. A guy like Lydon losing out on a starting position after being a critical contributor to a Final Four because we brought in an 11th hour fifth-year ? Boy any team recruiting against us for a player could go for miles with that. If it is Battle that doesn't start - the recruiting impacts could be even worse. We are gunning for some serious A-list talent in 17 and those guys, I have a strong feeling, they ain't gonna play around if they think this could happen to them.

Its ok, cite: NBA draft pick & SU 6th man Dion Waiters.

creatorsgame said:
Can you verify his point #1 re: starting/role based on what you have heard, Bees?

I've heard nothing about that but I do know that was my guess a while back. It'll get worked out. We have 6 starters. Like O13 said, someone's got to be a team guy.

Whites ability to make the NBA would be significantly increased if he can become more of a 2 vs 3.
Same as Battle playing the point.

Starting in the grand scheme of him improving his draft status isn't all that important

kcsu said:
Whites ability to make the NBA would be significantly increased if he can become more of a 2 vs 3.

Starting in the grand scheme of him improving his draft status isn't all that important

But that is more about showing the offensive skills and lateral quickness than where he starts defensively in the zone.

JB isn't going to play anyone at a position that isn't optimal for the team, nor to enable them to "showcase" for the NBA.

Battle is at best the 3rd best lead guard on the squad. White is at best the 2nd best shooting guard.

Those players won't play extensive minutes at those positions for that reason. Wishful thinking.

man, i just dont think this is a good chemistry addition. something is just OFF>

I've heard nothing about that but I do know that was my guess a while back. It'll get worked out. We have 6 starters. Like O13 said, someone's got to be a team guy.

I was thinking White would get token minutes at the 2. Maybe start at the 2 with Battle at the 1. And then Gillon would come in at the 1, Battle shifts to the 2, and White shifts to the 3, Lydon plays the 4. Roberson starts at the 4 but comes out when Gillon comes in. A rebounding lineup would be Roberson at the 4 and Lydon at the 5. Whatever happens, this is the kind of problems we should like to have. Coleman starts. Chukwu plays the most minutes at the 5. Of course, do not roast me. This is all speculation. Whatever happens this season I already like this team a whole lot more than the beginning of the 2015-16 season.

I have zero concerns about that, especially after reading how well liked White was at Kansas / Nebraska by his teammates and coaches.

I feel the same way. He will be a good teammate. He wants to succeed ultimately and that requires a team effort.

Let me say this. Someone is going to have to be a team player so AW comes here and the word is someone is willing not to start. And my understanding is that Battle starts and Lydon comes off the bench playing significant minutes.

This team understands a chance at a national title is on the line.

I had thrown out that I thought that Lydon would play a similar role as last year coming off the bench if White comes. Some agreed and some thought I was crazy because of the impact on our front court offense, which also makes a lot of sense. Be interesting to see if this is one of the two times each day this broken clock was right (meaning me, not you)

I have zero concerns about that, especially after reading how well liked White was at Kansas / Nebraska by his teammates and coaches.

One of AW's concerns has been how his transfer in would affect team chemistry (both here or at MSU). My guess is that this has already been addressed and, more importantly, wont be an issue.

If figuring out who's role is what is really the issue, I don't see how Lydon not starting solves anything.

JB is going to be itching to get him in the game the first time someone in the game fumbles a pass.

Anyway you look at it someone's going to get less time and it's not Lydon.

If figuring out who's role is what is really the issue, I don't see how Lydon not starting solves anything.

JB is going to be itching to get him in the game the first time someone in the game fumbles a pass.

Anyway you look at it someone's going to get less time and it's not Lydon.

Lydon will most likely lead the team in minutes played, followed by AW and Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom