Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fly Rodder said:
I'm not underrating him. I think Lydon is a fantastic player and will be huge for this team. I just don't think Boeheim changes one of his things - rewarding upperclassman. I could be wrong - I'm not in his head.

Help think of a time he started a senior over a better player? There's lots of evidence he'll go with a freshman who he may or may not have given the "guaranteed starting spot" to - only to get yanked a few min in.

Not sure Waiters counts. I think that was more about getting Dion's attention than rewarding Scoop.

I'm pretty confident that will be the ultimate outcome. Gillon is really good, and a very good shooter. He's going to open some eyes.
If we land AW RF, who do you think wouldn't start between AW, TL, TR? I'm thinking AW might come off the bench and concerned that is a holdup in his decision. Pure speculation on my part.

BTW everyone has annointed Battle as the second coming and maybe he will be, but he could easily be the token starter this year. How so?

1. Well he seems to be someone who may have been promised a starting role.
2. He has no track record at the Division 1 level, so while we expect great things from him it remains to be seen whether he'll be prepared to deliver immediately.
3. We are all of a sudden pretty deep at multiple positions if AW commits.

Smart money is on him starting, producing and playing big minutes, just saying that it could go differently.

If we land AW RF, who do you think wouldn't start between AW, TL, TR? I'm thinking AW might come off the bench and concerned that is a holdup in his decision. Pure speculation on my part.

Obviously, this would be speculative on my part, as well. But if we land White, I'd expect him to come here to start. I like him as the natural 3 this roster currently lacks. The other two would duke it out for the starting 4 role. Obviously, Lydon is a better offensive player, but Roberson's rebounding is very important, as well. Down the stretch last season during our final four run, he might have been the team's MIP--not the MVP / best player, but the most important, with his capability to haul in double figure rebounds.

Lydon is playing ~35--book it. Whether that's as a starter, the super scoring bench sub, or gobbling up minutes at the center position, he's going to play ~35. I actually agree with Sgt / Fly Rodder above that he is a good candidate to come off the bench if White comes here. Our top recent teams have had strong scoring pop off of the bench, and Lydon fits the bill. I don't know that Roberson would provide the same production as a reserve. But make no mistake: whether TL starts or not, he's one of the top 2 or 3 players on this team, is going to play a ton of minutes, and is going to FINISH games.

It is a good problem to have a roster where we have 7-8 players who could legitimately start. Let them compete hard in practice, and let things sort themselves out.

Last edited:
I thought this thread was for posters to complain why Andrew White is taking so long to make a decision?
You know, I don't think one person in this thread has actually said he's taking too long.

Getting back to AW3, I agree with JimJar. This has been one of the most exciting June / July's for Orange basketball probably ever. I love all this drama. August 1st deadline for graduate registration is fastly approaching. I hope we hear some positive news from AW3. If he's is as good as everyone thinks he will get plenty of PT and exposure to NBA scouts. With only 24 days left I doubt this thread will turn into the TT fiasco. Although I do take some of the responsiblity for the TT thread, I am determined to stay on topic in this thread.

Yeah, was actually just thinking about this the other day. Traditionally, the board is usually extremely slow and non-eventful during the summer months. In fact in past summers I wouldn't even bother checking the board every day. So first we had TT keeping us occupied until the big announcement on Friday and now we have this fun AW3 thread going (and apparently looking fairly promising based on some of the feedback on here). And while tying this in with the overall board in general, we would be remiss if we didn't include the gigantic AD news yesterday. And of course in June we had 2 players drafted, including yet another 1st rounder for the 5th straight year. Good times!

I'm pretty confident that will be the ultimate outcome. Gillon is really good, and a very good shooter. He's going to open some eyes.

I'm pretty confident that Battle is going to start. And if we are able to land White, I am fairly confident that he will start, too. No offense to Gillon, who should be good, but White is a 16 ppg scorer in a superior league.

Lydon, Roberson & Coleman is going to be the starting front line. I don't think anyone that has followed Syracuse basketball should assume anything differently.

In any event, it is great to have depth and hopefully we have this "problem" because it's a good one to have.

image.gif

I don't follow the recruiting/transfer situation as closely as some, but I can't recall your being so optimistic about a new player. As a result, this could be the position I'm most excited about going into the season. I might even make it a point to see a couple practices and get a look at how Gillon's incorporated into the offense.

It's not insane. You need to put it in context of this particular team. Lydon will not start at guard - obviously. Not at center either - especially with a 5th year, local, McD AA on the team.

That leaves forward. Hard to see JB sitting a senior TR. One spot left. Looks between, hopefully, AW3 or Lydon. Lydon would be playing out of position vs AW3 who would be a 5th year senior.

Also, from an offensive team perspective, JB will probably want to minimize the time that 7'2"PC and TR are on the floor together.
Its hard to imagine but TR may be the guy left out of the starting lineup. If he doesn't develop at least a 10 foot jumper he probably should be on the bench. As well as he played at times last year he also had some games where he disappeared for long lengths of time. Depends on how good White really is. If Wes Johnson or Ryan Blackwell were coming in as 5th year seniors they would have put TRob on the bench...imo.

I'm pretty confident that Battle is going to start. And if we are able to land White, I am fairly confident that he will start, too. No offense to Gillon, who should be good, but White is a 16 ppg scorer in a superior league.

Lydon, Roberson & Coleman is going to be the starting front line. I don't think anyone that has followed Syracuse basketball should assume anything differently.

In any event, it is great to have depth and hopefully we have this "problem" because it's a good one to have.

White isn't a guard. That's where you are off.

I'm certain that White / Battle are going to start as well -- as the 3 and 2. Lydon and Roberson probably will not be the starting tandem at forward if White comes here.

Its hard to imagine but TR may be the guy left out of the starting lineup. If he doesn't develop at least a 10 foot jumper he probably should be on the bench. As well as he played at times last year he also had some games where he disappeared for long lengths of time. Depends on how good White really is. If Wes Johnson or Ryan Blackwell were coming in as 5th year seniors they would have put TRob on the bench...imo.
No. Not the way JB coaches. He always keeps the same line-up. Same sixth man. Same rotation schedule. Same sacred cow (last year it was Cooney - this year Lydon). If TR disappears, he'll have a quick hook; same for Coleman.

White isn't a guard. That's where you are off.

I'm certain that White / Battle are going to start as well -- as the 3 and 2. Lydon and Roberson probably will not be the starting tandem at forward if White comes here.

In the past JB has started certain players. When they up they get yanked on the next possession. It's a really great motivator to get our kids to play defense correctly.

If Wes Johnson or Ryan Blackwell were coming in as 5th year seniors they would have put TRob on the bench...imo.
I think this would be the last time that an upperclassman lost his starting job. I don't know any details, but IMO he was told Wes was starting at the 3 and Andy was starting at the 2. Harris left the program instead of sitting the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom