Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 63 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point, we didn't need him to play guard. Still, if he would've been a weapon up there, JB would've done that.

Southerland didnt play guard because he couldn't dribble - he's not a guard. He was also not nearly quick enough to stop dribble penetration at the top of the zone. I don't know if White possesses that quickness, but if he doesn't, expect to see him on the wing. JB doesn't play around with that ish.

Playing good 2-3 zone defense will determine who plays. If Battle / AW3 get the job done that's what JB will play. There's been a push to get the tallest players at top of the zone. If AW3 can play the 2 well he will.

True... I think the whole 2 vs 3 debate comes down to whether AW3 can play the top of the zone. If he can, his length and shooting up top will make us incredible. If not, then yeah you have to slide everything up front a bit and really he just adds some good depth and shooting.

Great minds think alike.

Playing good 2-3 zone defense will determine who plays. If Battle / AW3 get the job done that's what JB will play. There's been a push to get the tallest players at top of the zone. If AW3 can play the 2 well he will.

In this scenario I agree that Battle plays the point with White playing the 2. Gillon and Howard come off the bench. Would be so much length/athleticism, as well as, 2 very good shooters from outside the arc.

One thing is for sure, this team will be insanely flexible and deep if White comes here.

Hopefully this is the year we morph from strictly 2-3 zone to some variation of press depending on time and score (token/full court) falling back to the zone. You'd think JB would have seen the success we had last year and look to implement that moving forward, especially due to "pure conjecture" the feeling I get that it fits Hop's style.

We will also have the ability to put an elite defensive lineup and elite offensive lineup out there.

Defense:
Howard-Battle-Lydon-Roberson-Chukwu

Offense:
Gillon-Battle-White-Lydon-Coleman

I don't foresee Moyer and Thompson getting much run this year but they are both talented guys who on any non-stacked team would see big minutes and clearly can step up in an "in case of emergency" situation. Especially if we utilize them for spot minutes to press, given their length and athleticism.

iommi said:
It's not a "story"-- it's on msg bd.

Gotcha.

Seems to me, though, it deserves more than that.

But that's just me.

Maybe this interesting debate of 2 vs 3 for AW reflects the reason for the delay in his commitment? He does see himself as a 2 in NBA and wants to showcase himself as one in his final year. JB on the other hand probably told him he sees him as a 3 in his system, but he'd get a chance at the 2 also, and if he could handle it, he'd get minutes there too. As I recall, in his comments about playing situation after the visit he was complimentary but reserved. So despite all other factors seemingly being a perfect fit and his reported strong lean to us, it sounds like he'd still consider someone who promised him a starting 2. Another visit would probably confirm that. He has 22 more days (I know, Dave told me) ... just doing due diligence. In the end will still wind up here I think.

hmm that doesn't mention another visit...
Yup, Pearl... that's true, at least not explicitly but McAllister does say that other schools are working hard to get him to visit so it's implied that one or more may be in the works. The fact that Louisville is mentioned among the schools would seem to dilute the pertinence of the story since the man in white said they are not intending to add anyone to their roster for 16-17. Nonetheless, this despicable development is somewhat of a buzzkill to the wonderful euphoria whisping around the board over the past week or so.

Maybe this interesting debate of 2 vs 3 for AW reflects the reason for the delay in his commitment? He does see himself as a 2 in NBA and wants to showcase himself as one in his final year. JB on the other hand probably told him he sees him as a 3 in his system, but he'd get a chance at the 2 also, and if he could handle it, he'd get minutes there too. As I recall, in his comments about playing situation after the visit he was complimentary but reserved. So despite all other factors seemingly being a perfect fit and his reported strong lean to us, it sounds like he'd still consider someone who promised him a starting 2. Another visit would probably confirm that. He has 22 more days (I know, Dave told me) ... just doing due diligence. In the end will still wind up here I think.
It seems, given his reasons for leaving Nebraska, that this move is 99% "next level" based.

He wants exposure - check for us
He wants NCAAT experience - check for us
He wants to show off his skills - check for us BUT he's not making an NBA roster as a 6'7 swing man unless he shoots 45% from three and can defend. If I was White, I'd want a promise that I get a chance to claim the SG spot, especially since we have 3 guys who want to play PG and seemingly no one for the 2.

Yup, Pearl... that's true, at least not explicitly but M does say that other schools are working hard to get him to visit so it's implied that one or more may be in the works. The fact that Louisville is mentioned among the schools would seem to dilute the pertinence of the story since the man in white said they are not intending to add anyone to their roster for 16-17. Nonetheless, this despicable development is somewhat of a buzzkill to the wonderful euphoria whisping around the board over the past week or so.

Buzzkill? I'm still feeling high right now. The Orange are AW3's best option. It's not Miami.

It seems, given his reasons for leaving Nebraska, that this move is 99% "next level" based.

He wants exposure - check for us
He wants NCAAT experience - check for us
He wants to show off his skills - check for us BUT he's not making an NBA roster as a 6'7 swing man unless he shoots 45% from three and can defend. If I was White, I'd want a promise that I get a chance to claim the SG spot, especially since we have 3 guys who want to play PG and seemingly no one for the 2.
Clearly JB did promise him that chance, but how would he know mindsets of the 3 guards? He probably doesn't mind competition but knows it won't be a gimme. Unless someone promises more than just a chance and other considerations are met, those other checks should be enough.

On paper it doesn't look like Lydon will play the 5, but after watching the Gonzaga and UVA games again Lydon was sensational.
He was sensational given his size and how he was not recruited for the position. No one thinks that he's the second coming of Etan Thomas, Fab Melo, or even Rak. Sabonis scored very well against him, despite constant double teams. On offense, yeah, he's probably our best center, but unless Chukwu is completely unready, I think Chukwu will likely be the better defensive option.

I can't wait to see DC allowed to outlet the ball down court. In HS, the kid's outlets were Waltonesque.

OK, this I agree with. Not as optimistic about Coleman's skills allowing him to do much in the half-court, but he's an excellent passer with good vision. If he gets minutes alongside guards who actually know what to do on a fast break and our unfortunate transition moratorium is lifted, it'd be great to finally see what Coleman can do with a defensive rebound. We could get a few free buckets this year.

Clearly JB did promise him that chance, but how would he know mindsets of the 3 guards? He probably doesn't mind competition but knows it won't be a gimme. Unless someone promises more than just a chance and other considerations are met, those other checks should be enough.
It's not clear to me at all that JB promised him anything to do with the guards. We don't need a 4th guard as much as we need a scoring/shooter sf.

I think JB's pitch would be much more along the lines of Mal left early for the NBA and his spot/role is his. That's a powerful pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom