Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that is a major consideration. If he comes to Syracuse and he plays well, he will get orders of magnitude more exposure that at Nebraska, VCU, or Cinci. 30 mpg is not required for that. We've had bench players go in the lottery - and in years where we don't get to Final Fours.

I don't think that is a major consideration. If he comes to Syracuse and he plays well, he will get orders of magnitude more exposure that at Nebraska, VCU, or Cinci. 30 mpg is not required for that. We've had bench players go in the lottery - and in years where we don't get to Final Fours.

I agree but he played 30/game at Neb and that wasnt enough to get him drafted, so has to be in the back of his mind. Also if you read that article i posted above, it quotes some asst coach that uk and miami have also expressed interest in him. I suspect thats why he hasnt made a decision yet. Ie hes talking to one of those schools. I know i wear orange colored glasses but i would be fairly surprised if he doesnt come to SU

From the article:

Syracuse, Kentucky, VCU, Miami and Louisville have all expressed interested in White, according to a Team Loaded assistant. His opportunity with the Orange may be his best bet in terms of both playing meaningful minutes, playing under the brightest lights, improving his NBA stock and playing for a contender.

I agree but he played 30/game at Neb and that wasnt enough to get him drafted, so has to be in the back of his mind. Also if you read that article i posted above, it quotes some asst coach that uk and miami have also expressed interest in him. I suspect thats why he hasnt made a decision yet. Ie hes talking to one of those schools. I know i wear orange colored glasses but i would be fairly surprised if he doesnt come to SU

From the article:

Syracuse, Kentucky, VCU, Miami and Louisville have all expressed interested in White, according to a Team Loaded assistant. His opportunity with the Orange may be his best bet in terms of both playing meaningful minutes, playing under the brightest lights, improving his NBA stock and playing for a contender.
I have my fingers crossed as well, but if he thinks he is going to stand out at Kentucky, then he's got a few loose screws, and if it's exposure he wants, he's not going to get it at VCU. The other schools on that list, do make some sense though. Anyway, keep those Orange glasses on!!!

I have my fingers crossed as well, but if he thinks he is going to stand out at Kentucky, then he's got a few loose screws, and if it's exposure he wants, he's not going to get it at VCU. The other schools on that list, do make some sense though. Anyway, keep those Orange glasses on!!!
Miami worries me, not uk, especially if he like warm weather. Ku and neb arent exactly northern schools

And i think ul has been ruled out. So if i had to take a wild guess its SU, miami or VCU. With SU obviously being the best choice ! ;-)

That being said, Mali would have been better in his sophomore year. And AW3's numbers are against B12 competition. Not shabby but not to the level of the ACC.
Nebraska's in the Big Ten now. Otherwise, good stuff.

I just don't have the desire to break down the opportunities at the other schools. I know that at SU, he fills any gaps that we have in the roster, and makes SU a legit title contender next year. It is difficult to put many new pieces together and have them gel. But, this is White and Gillin's last shot. If they can't come in and do what it takes to not only fit in, but to help lead, along with Roberson and Coleman, then the NBA wasn't really an option anyway. I think they are both up to the task, and that is why I am excited at the prospect of adding them. They should be hungry. I can't wait for this season.

Just agreeing to come to Syracuse will generate a lot buzz around his name. It already has.

There are other types of glasses? No way.

I just don't have the desire to break down the opportunities at the other schools. I know that at SU, he fills any gaps that we have in the roster, and makes SU a legit title contender next year. It is difficult to put many new pieces together and have them gel. But, this is White and Gillin's last shot. If they can't come in and do what it takes to not only fit in, but to help lead, along with Roberson and Coleman, then the NBA wasn't really an option anyway. I think they are both up to the task, and that is why I am excited at the prospect of adding them. They should be hungry. I can't wait for this season.
The makeup of next years team, in terms of talent, experience (ie mixture of upper and underclassmen) would look a lot like villanova last year, except SU next year would have a lot more size! Lol

Miami info from Palm Beach Post

Larranaga will welcome a top-10 recruiting class, the highest-rated group in school history. McDonald’s All-American forward Dewan Huell and guard Bruce Brown likely will play key roles right away. Center Rodney Miller may be relied on for backup minutes, but UM can afford to be more patient with Australian guard Dejan Vasiljevic. Additionally, UM has one open scholarship and could use it on a ready-to-play graduate transfer.

Point guard: Newton (6-foot-2, 180 pounds) can get into the lane, distribute the ball and score, but can he raise his teammates’ games if he’s having an off night? Can he lead them as Rodriguez did? Regardless, he’ll play major minutes, and Miami will need him – there’s no true point guard backing him up.

Shooting guard: Rail-thin Rashad Muhammad (6-6, 160), who is eligible this year after transferring, was a two-time leading scorer for San Jose State and will need to make up for some of McClellan’s production. James Palmer (6-5, 202) will have to hold off incoming freshmen combo guards Brown (6-4, 200), a rugged defender, and Vasiljevic (6-2, 195), a standout player in international tournaments.

Small forward: Reed (6-6, 205) will be in the starting lineup somewhere, and could handle the ball if Newton’s on the bench. Anthony Lawrence Jr. (6-7, 210) could be Miami’s Swiss-army knife, able to play and guard 1-through-4. Larranaga will have flexibility at the 2 and 3.

Power forward: Murphy (6-8, 218) started here last year, but without Jekiri (7-0, 250) patrolling the middle, his role may change. The scouting report on Huell (6-9, 220) is that he’s a high-energy rebounder and shot blocker who can drive, has a good feel for post play and can finish at the rim. NBA scouts will be watching him. Larranaga could play both at the same time, but that lineup wouldn’t work against every opponent.

Center: The weight room will be the summer home of sophomore Ebuka Izundu (6-10, 210), who needs to add considerable size and strength in order to contribute regularly. Miller, who is listed at 6-11 and various weights up to 250, is a more traditional big man. ESPN’s scouting report criticized him for his lack of conditioning and “motor.” However, he’s a four-star recruit from a top prep program (Oak Hill Academy in Virginia).

Getting White would make those early games against your Colgates and Cirnells that much more important. Usually JB is tweeking things and teaching but has a pretty good idea who will play where and how much. We could have 3 freshman and 3 transfers who could all compete for a good role on a very talented team. There would be a lot of chemistry experiments and zone 101 in those games.

Lol Fixed

Last edited:
That being said, Mali would have been better in his sophomore year.
There's no way of knowing that. Richardson would've had to have improved a ton to surpass White. Andrew White had a PER of 24.2 last year, Richardson 13.8.

Just to clarify, I was saying Mali would be better in his soph year than his frosh year; not better than AW3 was as a junior.

As far as a comparison to AW3, my guess is that they been pretty close.

Hope AW3 comes here to make the comparison easier to make.

Just to clarify, I was saying Mali would be better in his soph year than his frosh year; not better than AW3 was as a junior.

Gotcha.

To me, and im sure there were more factors than this, the thing that got Mal drafted and AW not was epitomized by that stretch where we came back and took lead for good against uva. In that short stretch, everytime Brogden came out aggressively to take away 3 from Mal, Mal drove by him and scored or got fouled. So then when Brogden decided to adjust and slump off him, Mal drained the 3. I think he drained a similar 3 against Hall in that stretch. That short stretch had nba written all over it . I havent seen AW3 do that, altho havnt seen much of him. Imo if AW3 can master those types of abilities in in-game situations, hes got a great shot at being drafted next yr like Mal was

Last edited:
To me, and im sure there were more factors than this, the thing that got Mal drafted and AW not was epitomized by that stretch where we came back and took lead for good against uva. In that short stretch, everytime Brogden came out aggressively to take away 3 from Mal, Mal drove by him and scored or got fouled. So then when Brogden decided to adjust and slump off him, Mal drained the 3. I think he drained a similar 3 against Hall in that stretch. That short stretch had nba written all over it . I havent seen AW3 do that, altho havnt seen much of him. Imo if AW3 can master those types of abilities in in-game situations, hes got a great shot at being drafted next yr like Mal was

Completely agree. Mali showed a quick first step and the ability to put the ball on the floor and explode past an elite college defender. That's where he punched his ticket into the first round.

Everyone knew he had size and could shoot. There are a ton of guys that can do that. His ability to consistently drive to the rim (or get fouled) was a really pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, it also meant we only got to see it for one year in a Cuse uniform.

Getting White would make those early games against your Colgates and Cirnells that much more important. Usually JB is tweeking things and teaching but has a pretty good idea who will play where and how much. We could have 3 freshman and 3 transfers who could all compete for a good role on a very talented team. There would be a lot of chemistry experiments and zone 101 in those games.

Lol Fixed
Interesting to us the fansYES but also to the opposition coaches to see how all of these pieces fit together.White Lydon and maybe White could well be our 3 point offense but the team will win or lose by intensity in the 2 point basket scoring and of course rebounding.

The momentum appears to be heading in the wrong direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom