Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if SU is behind and they need to make a run we might see it more than people think.
Our 5 best athletes are: Gillon, Battle, White3?, Robeson and Lydon. It would be fun to play these five against teams without a dominating center. I could see Lydon coming off the bench again, playing the 3,4,&5. Would also enjoy seeing an NBA size lineup with Chuk and Howard replacing Gillon and White.

AW3 is not a + defender.

I get it - he's tall and long. Who doesn't love that on the top of the zone?
But he's not considered a great, or even good, defender.

I'd swap Frankie in for AW3 in that D lineup, and unless AW3 shows some serious improvement on the D side, you can bet that JB will do the same.

JB has tried other long guys at the 2, and it didn't work out on D:
Mookie, Southy, BJ.
Just becuase you are tall and can shoot 3's, doesn't mean you can D up at the 2 guard position in our zone.
It sure doesn't hurt being tall and a 3 shooter. He should be able to play up on the zone. He is quick enough based video and his height only helps as has been noted on numerous occasions when the Orange has had height there. Long arms and height can do wonders in the zone. I think there is proof coming this season by our frontourt. There could be a quality argument that our front court is all we will need this year. It will need to be proved inspiring as well. If the 3s are limited then we will need consistent 2sand stops on defense.

Our 5 best athletes are: Gillon, Battle, White3?, Robeson and Lydon. It would be fun to play these five against teams without a dominating center. I could see Lydon coming off the bench again, playing the 3,4,&5. Would also enjoy seeing an NBA size lineup with Chuk and Howard replacing Gillon and White.

I'm pretty convinced Roberson's legs are bionic the way he jumps around. He may be the most athletic this season.

I think Howard is will be a pretty dominant athlete also

Will you please stop whining, you'll know soon enough one way or the other.
Would you stop overreacting? It's a freaking message board and I'm on topic.

White averaged 6 rebounds a game in 30 minutes last year. That's better than Mal. He will play defense, or he won't play. It's as simple as that. I'm sure he knows the story.

AW3 is not a + defender.

I get it - he's tall and long. Who doesn't love that on the top of the zone?
But he's not considered a great, or even good, defender.

I'd swap Frankie in for AW3 in that D lineup, and unless AW3 shows some serious improvement on the D side, you can bet that JB will do the same.

JB has tried other long guys at the 2, and it didn't work out on D:
Mookie, Southy, BJ.
Just becuase you are tall and can shoot 3's, doesn't mean you can D up at the 2 guard position in our zone.

A) Howard was not a + defender last year, either. In fact, I would argue he was a - defender most of the season.

B) Gbinije has the same measurables as White does in terms of height and length. Not saying they're the same players, but long guys at the top of the zone has worked before, too.

A) Howard was not a + defender last year, either. In fact, I would argue he was a - defender most of the season.

B) Gbinije has the same measurables as White does in terms of height and length. Not saying they're the same players, but long guys at the top of the zone has worked before, too.
Howard was not a +defender last year. He was lost a lot of the time.

My question with White is: does he have the lateral quickness? I really think he's better suited to play the wing defensively considering his build but I'd love him to prove me wrong. He certainly has not earned a great rep as a defender. His two negatives are his defense and his passing ability.

I tried to cut and paste pages 49-194 from the TT thread here, I sense a lot of the same whining/hand wringing, and it would save so many fingerprints on some of your iPads. Plus I thought it would cause this to end up with the same outcome, kind of an osmosis thing.

iommi said:
My question with White is: does he have the lateral quickness? I really think he's better suited to play the wing defensively considering his build but I'd love him to prove me wrong. He certainly has not earned a great rep as a defender. His two negatives are his defense and his passing ability.

If we get White, I don't care who we start. You tell every guy that we are going to each play less minutes, but we are going 100% on defense. And with White, you tell him he will have scouts at every game and if 15 minutes can get Mali drafted, a full season of all out effort will get him to the league.

Agreed.
But - Howard did get better later in the season, and earned PT in big games.

G is 1000x better on D than a guy like AW3.
He was always good, and became very good w/ his years of experience playing our zone.

Since you brought up the G and AW3 comparison - AW3 is just like G, only with:
slightly better 3 point shooting
better rebounding (note: he was playing on a team of Smurfs, so by default he was their 'best' rebounder)
zero passing (like 1/2 of an assist/game - talk about your black holes.)
much worse D
worse ballhandling
zero playmaking (see: assist stat)
much less game experience (minimal run 2 years at KU, a redshirt year, 1 year of starting)

Listen - I really hope we get the guy.
But, he's not G - he's Southy, at best. And we'd take that in a heartbeat right now.

Agreed.

He was always good, and became very good w/ his years of experience playing our zone.

better rebounding (note: he was playing on a team of Smurfs, so by default he was their 'best' rebounder)
much worse D
worse ballhandling
much less game experience (minimal run 2 years at KU, a redshirt year, 1 year of starting)

But, he's not G - he's Southy, at best. And we'd take that in a heartbeat right now.
I think hes going to be a more consistent form of Mal from last year. Mal didnt exactly light it up on D most games...

Agreed.

much worse D
worse ballhandling

We only need him to shoot the ball well. All that other stuff is gravy.

If we get White, I don't care who we start. You tell every guy that we are going to each play less minutes, but we are going 100% on defense. And with White, you tell him he will have scouts at every game and if 15 minutes can get Mali drafted, a full season of all out effort will get him to the league.
JB hasnt had a lot of trouble getting his teams from recent years buying in on D, especially the upperclassmen. JBs zone D , imo, is the biggest reason for the '13 and '16 FFs...

Your posts are significant as any of mine.

My iPhone didn't correct Mohawk Valley. Spelled it "Mowhawk Valley," as if I were cutting grass. How is that for insignificance and embarrassment? :mad:

I tried to cut and paste pages 49-194 from the TT thread here, I sense a lot of the same whining/hand wringing, and it would save so many fingerprints on some of your iPads. Plus I thought it would cause this to end up with the same outcome, kind of an osmosis thing.

This would not be Syracuse basketball if we did not have drama in July. Are you kidding me! We have drama in July! Unbelievable.

How dare you stifle our creativity. Each thread is unique as a snowflake. :cool:

FYI - Mali averaged 4x as many assists, 2x the steals.

And fewer pts and rebounds

He wasn't THE ONLY GUY on the team who could do those things last year, like AW3 was for a crappy Huskers team.

One of them got drafted in the NBA 1st round.
One is coming back for his 5th year of college.

200.gif

He wasn't THE ONLY GUY on the team who could do those things last year, like AW3 was for a crappy Huskers team.

One of them got drafted in the NBA 1st round.
One is coming back for his 5th year of college.

200.gif
Hence why i compared AW3 next year to Mal last year. Thinking they can be similar, which leads back to my original post comparing them that way

Not the easiest call but , next year, if i could, i would have taken Mal over AW3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom