Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 131 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now there's a situation I could use help with since I'm not a basketball genius - do we seriously have a REALISTIC AND SOLID chance to win the national title next year?

I don't claim to be a genius, but here is what I think. With AW3, I think we have a very solid chance to make it to the Sweet 16 game. However, as I've said before, at the highest level of competition, teams are about equal. So it's a 50/50 bet. So to win a NC it would be like throwing four coins and having them all come up heads. It's not impossible but it does involve a bit of luck. The important thing is putting your team in a position where you can throw the coins!

Now there's a situation I could use help with since I'm not a basketball genius - do we seriously have a REALISTIC AND SOLID chance to win the national title next year?
upload_2016-7-21_17-29-6.jpeg

I don't claim to be a genius, but here is what I think. With AW3, I think we have a very solid chance to make it to the Sweet 16 game. However, as I've said before, at the highest level of competition, teams are about equal. So it's a 50/50 bet. So to win a NC it would be like throwing four coins and having them all come up heads. It's not impossible but it does involve a bit of luck. The important thing is putting your team in a position where you can throw the coins!
If Chukwu is comparable to Senior AO or Soph Fab, our chances are as you describe. That seems to be a big piece for us on our latest very good teams.

If Chukwu is comparable to Senior AO or Soph Fab, our chances are as you describe. That seems to be a big piece for us on our latest very good teams.

I agree. You could argue the probabilities. But again, I think once you make it to the Sweet 16 game you are in the hunt. I'm not going to argue against 1 and 2 seeds not being better teams. My point is many times 1 and 2 team lose games in the tournament. There is an element of luck involved.

Anybody know what Nova's odds were last year preseason?

60 to 1 but I'm not 100% sure on that.

The goofy thing is no matter what Vegas says, before every game, in my mind the Orange are going to win 100% of their games. My brain automatically comes up with a scenario where the Orange win the game. I don't even have to think hard about it.

I'm not sure that I buy into this idea that we're suddenly odds on favorites but clearly he helps our chances substantially. Thing is, even if we were head and shoulders favorites, the odds of winning it all are still small. Our best teams tend to have things happen to them in the tournament.

On the plus side JB has seemed to be dominant in the tournament in recent years but just hasn't had the offense to get us over the top. White would help tremendously with that and with Chukwu in the middle, that's just a force multiplier for the zone. Of course we also have a young backcourt and/or inexperienced with the zone so there's reasons to be optimistic but also reasons for caution.

I'm not sure that I buy into this idea that we're suddenly odds on favorites but clearly he helps our chances substantially. Thing is, even if we were head and shoulders favorites, the odds of winning it all are still small. Our best teams tend to have things happen to them in the tournament.

On the plus side JB has seemed to be dominant in the tournament in recent years but just hasn't had the offense to get us over the top. White would help tremendously with that and with Chukwu in the middle, that's just a force multiplier for the zone. Of course we also have a young backcourt and/or inexperienced with the zone so there's reasons to be optimistic but also reasons for caution.

I agree with your sentiments. And I thought about this really hard. I'm not going to say my rationale because I don't want to jinx us.

Go Orange!

Orangeman13 said:
If I gave an "answer" to that I'd be lying. I report what the satellite picks up.

This makes sense to me. There were some NCAA concerns long long ago. Given those past inquiries it makes sense to me that we dot all our I's and cross all our T's. With these late commits (TT & AW3) that are happening in real time the delays to clear them with the office of compliance make sense to me. The forecast is when AW3 is cleared with the Association he will be ours. Formalities my friends. Props to Orangeman13 for the real time news. We wait for the paperwork....

This makes sense to me. There were some NCAA concerns long long ago. Given those past inquiries it makes sense to me that we dot all our i's and cross all our T's. With these late commits (TT & AW3) that are happening in real time the delays to clear them with the office of compliance make sense to me. The forecast is when AW3 is cleared with the Association he will be ours. Formalities my friends. Props to Orangeman13 for the real time news. We wait for the paperwork...
Agreed. I'm sure the staff didn't expect Diagne not to matriculate. Don't need another player to fall through the NCAA cracks.

Today is GMacs wedding anniversary if I'm not mistaken. AW will commit tomorrow. That has been a secret because it was supposed to be a surprise for the anniversary (by being a day late). However, I feel ok about revealing this because the surprise won't survive regardless since GMac is going to be dispatched to Carvel to get the ice cream cake anyway.

60 to 1 but I'm not 100% sure on that.

The goofy thing is no matter what Vegas says, before every game, in my mind the Orange are going to win 100% of their games. My brain automatically comes up with a scenario where the Orange win the game. I don't even have to think hard about it.

It was 40:1 when my bet was made about a week ago.

I can only comment that THREE satellites have informed the meteorologist that we will definitely have a WHITE Christmas.
This is confirmed.
But only if there is tropospheric frontogenetical forcing and an equatorial stratospheric oscillation! :cool:

How would you feel if you went to a job interview and the minute you got home you got a call saying you did not get the job. It would make you feel like you were never really considered and would be very insulted.

MSU was that person getting interviewed. Give it a little time before MSU officially knows they are not getting AW3's services ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom