Class of 2017 - SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler

Agree. If his shooting range (to 3) is decent ... he just brings too much to the table at both ends of the floor to last more than a year in college.
Shooting is the key. Everybody is going to want their shooting guards to be knockdown shooters. I think that is why he and his family wanted him to be able to display his PG skills. He is a decent shooter, but from what I can tell, not the current model for an NBA SG.

Agree. If his shooting range (to 3) is decent ... he just brings too much to the table at both ends of the floor to last more than a year in college.

Here's a quick breakdown of how things might shake out after the season:

Seniors who's eligibility expires after this year [4]:
Coleman
Roberson
White
Gillon

Prospective early entrants [2]:
Lydon
Battle

Likely returnees [4]:
Howard
Thompson
Moyer
Chukwu

So, of our 10 players on this roster, as many as six of them could be gone next year. And that doesn't include the fact that one of our 11 available scholarships is going unfilled this year by only having 10 players. That would also include about 90% of our points, rebounds, minutes, blocks, etc. and just about all of our big game experience, save for Howard / Chukwu.

Now, maybe Battle or Lydon surprise us and come back for a year--could happen, but probably not on both counts. Accounting for that possibility, then the formula changes somewhat. But otherwise, we've got 2 -- maybe 3 guys who start from those four, and lots of potential PT / starting roles for incoming recruits.

We need to land a top flight PG--that could be Quade Green or maybe Coleman / Washington
We absolutely need to land a top flight 2 -- with O'Connell out and Diallo unlikely, we need to land a Thompson or somebody to potentially start
We probably need to land a top flight 3 -- as Moyer might be better equipped to play 4 -- Jordan Tucker would fit perfectly here

I think we have less of an urgent need at the power positions, but obviously would love to land a Richards if we can.

Wouldn't remotely surprise me to see us bring in a PG, a SG, a SF, another swing player, a big, and a four year developmental type from the high school ranks, along with a 5th year transfer.

But we probably will need to add 6 incoming players, just to get back to having 10 on the roster.

Shooting is the key. Everybody is going to want their shooting guards to be knockdown shooters. I think that is why he and his family wanted him to be able to display his PG skills. He is a decent shooter, but from what I can tell, not the current model for an NBA SG.

Mali shot 35% from three point range and just 36% overall, but was considered a knockdown shooter.

Battle absolutely is the current model for an NBA SG--a versatile scorer with size / athleticism who can put it on the floor and create as well as hit shots. He just needs to prove that he can connect from deep at a reasonable rate, which hopefully he'll be able to do. He won't be asked to shoulder the load in that regard--as Lydon / White / Gillon have all shot very well from three at the collegiate level, which will enable Battle to be more of a complimentary shooting threat instead of a guy we're relying upon to produce from three.

Here's a quick breakdown of how things might shake out after the season:

Seniors who's eligibility expires after this year [4]:
Coleman
Roberson
White
Gillon

Prospective early entrants [2]:
Lydon
Battle

Likely returnees [4]:
Howard
Thompson
Moyer
Chukwu

So, of our 10 players on this roster, as many as six of them could be gone next year. And that doesn't include the fact that one of our 11 available scholarships is going unfilled this year by only having 10 players. That would also include about 90% of our points, rebounds, minutes, blocks, etc. and just about all of our big game experience, save for Howard / Chukwu.

Now, maybe Battle or Lydon surprise us and come back for a year--could happen, but probably not on both counts. Accounting for that possibility, then the formula changes somewhat. But otherwise, we've got 2 -- maybe 3 guys who start from those four, and lots of potential PT / starting roles for incoming recruits.

We need to land a top flight PG--that could be Quade Green or maybe Coleman / Washington
We absolutely need to land a top flight 2 -- with O'Connell out and Diallo unlikely, we need to land a Thompson or somebody to potentially start
We probably need to land a top flight 3 -- as Moyer might be better equipped to play 4 -- Jordan Tucker would fit perfectly here

I think we have less of an urgent need at the power positions, but obviously would love to land a Richards if we can.

Wouldn't remotely surprise me to see us bring in a PG, a SG, a SF, another swing player, a big, and a four year developmental type from the high school ranks, along with a 5th year transfer.

But we probably will need to add 6 incoming players, just to get back to having 10 on the roster.
How many scholarships do we have for next year? Are we back up to 13? This is the year to swing for the fences at all positions. I agree with you, our bigs seem pretty solid for next year with Moyer a 4, Thompson a 4/5 and Chukwu a 5. But adding Richards and/or Bamba would be huge. Let's get Quade and let the rest fall into place.

Mali shot 35% from three point range and just 36% overall, but was considered a knockdown shooter.

Battle absolutely is the current model for an NBA SG--a versatile scorer with size / athleticism who can put it on the floor and create as well as hit shots. He just needs to prove that he can connect from deep at a reasonable rate, which hopefully he'll be able to do. He won't be asked to shoulder the load in that regard--as Lydon / White / Gillon have all shot very well from three at the collegiate level, which will enable Battle to be more of a complimentary shooting threat instead of a guy we're relying upon to produce from three.
I think Mali was all about the stroke. It is effortless. He could catch and shoot, shoot off the bounce, step back...the stroke was smooth and effortless always. I know the percentages, but the kid is a shooter. I can't wait to see Battle and see more of his stroke.

We need to land a top flight PG--that could be Quade Green or maybe Coleman / Washington.

According to Zach Braziler in the NY Post, Washington says he will stay in the city for college. Whitehead is telling him how great it is and that the top city players need to stay in the city. The article says he is listening...

According to Zach Braziler in the NY Post, Washington says he will stay in the city for college. Whitehead is telling him how great it is and that the top city players need to stay in the city. The article says he is listening...
He was at our elite camp last weekend (unless I'm mistaken), so have to assume he's in play. :noidea:

Back to only commenting on bball recruiting because that football depth chart terrified me.

Go Orange Tucker!!

Don't believe he made it, but he was originally supposed to be there
Just to fully clarify, he missed this as his family is in the process moving down to Georgia (yes, there's a Charlie Daniels Band reference in here somehow), but aside from the Dukeiness of this guy, I think missing Elite Camp was due to the big move...down to Georgia.

My goodness that last conversion was pretty. I mean, "board hottie" pretty.
post-50829-not-another-teen-movie-lacey-c-2VN3.gif

It's just as hard to be a non-shooting pg in the NBA as it is a SG.

Just to fully clarify, he missed this as his family is in the process moving down to Georgia (yes, there's a Charlie Daniels Band reference in here somehow), but aside from the Dukeiness of this guy, I think missing Elite Camp was due to the big move...down to Georgia.

I know this is a Tucker thread but the comment I was responding to was actually about Washington not making the elite camp

Hey, guys. First time poster. I think it'll be interesting to see what happens after Tucker's visit to Duke. From what I've heard, much like Orangeman13, Tucker does want Duke. But I'm not sure whether it is a two way street. Will be interesting to see what happens given Samuels' verbal to Nova.
Hello, Orangeman13.

Now that Duke has O'Connell it would be great if that put Tucker with us. If we could somehow grab him with Rudolph that would be amazing. Imagine the perimeter shooting we would have at the 2 and 3.

Now that Duke has O'Connell it would be great if that put Tucker with us. If we could somehow grab him with Rudolph that would be amazing. Imagine the perimeter shooting we would have at the 2 and 3.

Green. Randolph, and Tucker would be just about best case scenario, given our team's potential needs for next year's roster.

Would also love to see them grab Washington, since we might have as many as 7 open scholarships. I have a feeling that he could be our version of Eric Bledsoe to Green's John Wall.

I think Tucker and Randolf would at least both have a chance to play the 2 and the 3 in SU's system which would mean getting both would provide us with a lot of flexibility to go with their shooting ability.

Last edited:
Would be great to grab all these freshman next year but I have a feeling that the class will be filled out with one or two 5th year seniors like this class and/or a developmental freshman who would be OK with redshirting or not really playing his freshman season.

Would be great to grab all these freshman next year but I have a feeling that the class will be filled out with one or two 5th year seniors like this class and/or a developmental freshman who would be OK with redshirting or not really playing his freshman season.

I wouldn't have an issue with either of those two latter things. We're going to be bringing in 6-7 new faces, so there will be room for fifth year transfers and a redshirt prospect.

But the rest of the class needs to be ready to hit the ground running--especially at the wings. It is entirely possible that we'll be starting true frosh at 2 and 3 next year [unless we get a fifth year transfer to man either / both spot].