Class of 2021 - SG Terrence Clarke (MA/Brewster) to Kentucky | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 SG Terrence Clarke (MA/Brewster) to Kentucky

Can also look at the lack of NBA success of Cuse draftees over the last decade and think maybe he can win games at this level but he's not getting guys ready for the league which maybe is preferred by these kids and why we aren't getting any/many of them lately.

Maybe it has to do with other schools paying the kids and we aren’t.

Maybe it has to do with other schools paying the kids and we aren’t.
Cool excuse but you're kidding yourself if you don't think Duke and Kentucky are where the top kids want to be. Probably get paid regardless and thise are still the choices.

Cool excuse but you're kidding yourself if you don't think Duke and Kentucky are where the top kids want to be. Probably get paid regardless and thise are still the choices.

Tell that to Billy Gillespie.

Kids used to want to go to UMass and Memphis.

Part of it is school and part of it is the hype and culture around the program. Nobody thought it was "cool" to go play for Billy Gillespie. Going to UK and playing for Cal with Drake hanging around the program and all the NBA guys coming back and the program's swag makes Kentucky a cool place to go play.

Duke was viewed as lame and corny by guys until Kyrie and Coach K leveraging team USA changed that. Now perception around them has changed and they can appeal to a different type of kid than they did 10 years ago.

I think they definitely give impermissible benefits to recruits but that doesn't explain it all. Basically nobody is clean but kids still have to want to play for you though and choose to join your program over others that are offering the same benefits.

Part of it is school and part of it is the hype and culture around the program. Nobody thought it was "cool" to go play for Billy Gillespie. Going to UK and playing for Cal with Drake hanging around the program and all the NBA guys coming back and the program's swag makes Kentucky a cool place to go play.

Duke was viewed as lame and corny by guys until Kyrie and Coach K leveraging team USA changed that. Now perception around them has changed and they can appeal to a different type of kid than they did 10 years ago.

I think they definitely give impermissible benefits to recruits but that doesn't explain it all. Basically nobody is clean but kids still have to want to play for you though and choose to join your program over others that are offering the same benefits.

Well Zion was still going to Clemson until he wasn't... Even the experts said that...

Tubby Smith had the same issues Gillespie had post Pitino...

And if Cal goes to UCLA instead of UK, they are the school with the advantage.

You're talking about things a decade ago that are completely irrelevant though you may want to think about not using Memphis is an example when talking about the past. Calapari figured out how to attract the superstars and create an assembly line of the best playing with the best while maximizing exposure and then Coach K appears to have taken that up another notch that no one knew even existed. Pretty sure we never heard Calipari talk crap about one of his players leaving, he may have talked crap about them trying to stay around for a 2nd year if anything.

Well Zion was still going to Clemson until he wasn't... Even the experts said that...

Tubby Smith had the same issues Gillespie had post Pitino...

And if Cal goes to UCLA instead of UK, they are the school with the advantage.

This post backs up my point. It's more to do with the coach and the culture they build around their program that spills down to the recruiting level and how kids perceive your program. They'll have no shortage of people willing to pay them to go to their school so it comes down to who they want to go play for.

The Zion situation kinda backs up my point. Clemson was trying to pay Zion and told him they would follow Dabo's playbook so it would go undetected (kinda funny how that didn't get more attention) and Zion ultimately chose Duke instead.

And Tubby wasn't really exciting to play for either so guys picked to go elsewhere. He didn't recruit well any place he went.

But you said these kids don't want to play for a 70 something year old coach that plays zone (Coach K).

BTW, Arizona and Kansas and Louisville were paying kids. We lost a few top kids to AZ and KU, right?

You're talking about things a decade ago that are completely irrelevant though you may want to think about not using Memphis is an example when talking about the past. Calapari figured out how to attract the superstars and create an assembly line of the best playing with the best while maximizing exposure and then Coach K appears to have taken that up another notch that no one knew even existed. Pretty sure we never heard Calipari talk crap about one of his players leaving, he may have talked crap about them trying to stay around for a 2nd year if anything.

It's still crazy to me that people will try to argue that Boeheim trashing his players in the media like that doesn't have a negative impact on recruiting.

This post backs up my point. It's more to do with the coach and the culture they build around their program that spills down to the recruiting level and how kids perceive your program. They'll have no shortage of people willing to pay them to go to their school so it comes down to who they want to go play for.

The Zion situation kinda backs up my point. Clemson was trying to pay Zion and told him they would follow Dabo's playbook so it would go undetected (kinda funny how that didn't get more attention) and Zion ultimately chose Duke instead.

And Tubby wasn't really exciting to play for either so guys picked to go elsewhere. He didn't recruit well any place he went.

That was exactly what I was trying to say. It's coaches, not programs that drive the bus. K could quit today and I wouldn't be surprised if Duke turns into UCLA...

Also I'm not sure why people get so sensitive when it's discussed that certain schools pay and people look the other way... People are naive. Anyway people can have at the pi$$ing match.

But you said these kids don't want to play for a 70 something year old coach that plays zone (Coach K).

BTW, Arizona and Kansas and Louisville were paying kids. We lost a few top kids to AZ and KU, right?

And you don't think that we were involved in that before? We've taken 2 of the hardest hits the NCAA has given out but everyone thinks they just unfairly come after us. We may have gotten out of that and that may coincide with now being a midpack ACC team.

It's still crazy to me that people will try to argue that Boeheim trashing his players in the media like that doesn't have a negative impact on recruiting.

That and he looks/seems miserable almost 100% of the time he's on tv. I would obviously think he's more affable in person with recruits but from afar he certainly wouldn't seem too fun to play for, not that Coach K is some smiley happy guy but Duke sells itself.

And you don't think that we were involved in that before? We've taken 2 of the hardest hits the NCAA has given out but everyone thinks they just unfairly come after us. We may have gotten out of that and that may coincide with now being a midpack ACC team.

No, I don't think we are paying kids.

No, I don't think we are paying kids.

Clearly not enough, if we are. ;)

(j/k. I can't imagine we're doing any shenanigans after the 2nd NCAA proctological exam - given that they found exactly nada in that regard before)

Memphis + Calipari + FedEx = top recruits

Memphis + Calipari + FedEx = top recruits

Calipari + Oxygen = top recruits. My most hated coach but the guy knows how to play the game better than anyone.

Calipari + Oxygen = top recruits. My most hated coach but the guy knows how to play the game better than anyone.
You understand that he’s cheated on another level, every step of the way since UMass, right?

You understand that he’s cheated on another level, every step of the way since UMass, right?

Dumb question. We are all quite aware. I also am aware that he has not gotten a single penalty at a school where he was currently employed and continues to dominate recruiting. I'd gladly take him here yesterday. No one cares about the behind the scenes stuff as long as you are enjoying Ws.

I'd gladly take him here yesterday. No one cares about the behind the scenes stuff as long as you are enjoying Ws.

Because you’re ok with cheating. Rick Pitino can’t get a job.

When you get put on probation, have to vacate wins, your coach gets suspended, lose recruiting trips, and lose money, people start caring about the behind the scenes stuff.

Because you’re ok with cheating. Rick Pitino can’t get a job.

When you get put on probation, have to vacate wins, your coach gets suspended, lose recruiting trips, and lose money, people start caring about the behind the scenes stuff.

I'm ok with it with an expectation that it is going on anywhere. Should probably ask USC fans if they preferred the Pete Carroll days to their current situation. I'd much prefer to be Kentucky or Duke currently than be irrelevant as we are now. But I'm sure you wouldn't because being able to make message board jokes about the elite teams dropping bags is definitely more enjoyable than being ranked in the top 10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom