Shafer Dismissed per SI | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer Dismissed per SI

Gotta think Doug Marrone has already been contacted.

Why would Ruhle be putting out feelers at SU, when so many other bigger names will be coming after him?
What bigger name schools do you think will go after Rhule? RU if Flood gets fired?

Millhouse said:
frost offense kiffin offense morehead offense sanford (WHO?) offense warner offense moglia's background predates the invention of football so who knows

The only things I like about Moglia are that he's a for sure CEO type HC, knows and has ties to fund$, and thinks way out of the box about how to recruit/practice.

I'm saying we go with Sanford. I believe he has Boise State ties.
I think he and Frost are two of the most likely candidates to get the job.

Almost sure Mark Coyle is going to hire someone with a reputation as an offensive guru. Almost sure that this person is going to be young and full of energy.

The problem is, the coaches that fill this bill are almost all from the Midwest or Far West.

The challenge will be getting a staff put together that can recruit the traditional areas SU recruits well right from the start. The new coach needs to have a plan for recruiting the Northeast, the Mid Atlantic area and the Georgia/Florida areas without it taking years to build ties to the high school coaches in these areas.

IMHO, the candidate with the best plan to do this is probably going to get the job.

who is the 13 year old in charge of this twitter account??

son, you dont start a search behind his back.

once the decision has been made, you announce it and move forward.

there are a LOT of jobs open, we needed to get our hat in the ring as soon as possible.

this is how you do it.

1st correct decision by Coyle.

now keep them coming.

actually hes made 3 correct decsions already.

1. firing SS
2. doing it now
3. making it public

i like the way we are trending...
In total agreement!

Here's hoping Shafer goes out with a big win over BC the same way that GRob went out with a big win of Notre Dame. Guy deserves to go out on a positive note.
I said the same thing in the thread about whether the players would play hard this week if coach was fired beforehand.

1st correct decision by Coyle? He made some good hires to surround himself and naming Hopkins the next basketball coach. Sooooo this in line with his correct decision he has made since being hired...

There has been so much to like about Scott Shafer. I loved the stories of his time working in inner cities and on reservations. It revealed him to be a thoughtful, curious, empathetic person. He truly cares deeply about his players, staff, program, school and community. He seemed to have a great mix of both substance and sizzle. From a personality standpoint he's exactly the kind of guy you want leading your favorite team.

But college football is, first and foremost, a business. A huge business. And none of what I mentioned above matters if a coach doesn't win. Honestly, I'm not sure that's entirely healthy. I worry about the priorities of the P5 schools and their fans who funnel hundreds of millions of dollars into facilities to pamper boosters and attract 18 year olds to play a game. I worry about administrators and coaches who pay lip service to "student athletes" and "building the character of young men" but then race to the next higher-paying job with callous disregard of those very same people who they begged to come play for them.

But whether I like that or not, it certainly is reality.

It's a disappointing day. I really wish things worked out with Shafer. But it hasn't, and although there are lots of events beyond his control that adversely impacted his team's performance, there were also lots of things within his control that just weren't done well enough. It happens.

I have no doubt Shafer will end up in a DC job at a P5 school in short order. He's a very good coach and he'll have well-paying options. The disruption for his family sucks, but that is the life he has chosen, and 7 years in one place is a good run in his line of work.

So I'll say thanks to Scott Shafer. You may not have had the success you, or we, wanted, but it certainly wasn't due to a lack of effort, or a lack of caring. It just didn't work out.

I hope the team is able to send him off with a win on Saturday. And I look forward to the next chapter of SU football. I hope better times are ahead.

Been a fan since the first interview on OAA.

Was key part of saving this program and he should be honored and respected for that.

This is as much a good time for Coyle to get his own guy as anything else and the record the last two years doesn't really allow for a counter.

This team will be good to very good next year, depending on the health of the QB, there is a lot of young talented athletes that need to be coached up and a change allows for a clean break and a new approach.

Coyle isn't going to get crazy resources here, but if they give him a mid P-5 budget this program should be fine.

Here's hoping Shafer goes out with a big win over BC the same way that GRob went out with a big win of Notre Dame. Guy deserves to go out on a positive note.

I said earlier this week that he goes out with guns blazing and we win by 21. These kids will want to do it for him. F what AJ Long said.

who is the 13 year old in charge of this twitter account??

son, you dont start a search behind his back.

once the decision has been made, you announce it and move forward.

there are a LOT of jobs open, we needed to get our hat in the ring as soon as possible.

this is how you do it.

1st correct decision by Coyle.

now keep them coming.

actually hes made 3 correct decsions already.

1. firing SS
2. doing it now
3. making it public

i like the way we are trending...
Bingo. You allow SS the respect of getting love as his last game as HC.

If I am getting bad news I want it straight and fast as possible. Letting him twist in the wind when the decision has been made is wrong.

So, my cousin is stationed at Drum...he text me a little while ago saying there were rumors that Ed Orgeron was seen in town recently.

Now I know he has ties here...but that would be waaaay too early for this right? Unless the decision had already been made and Shafer knew...then maybe they would be looking at alternatives this early? Besides it would have been made public that Ed was in town I am sure.

I'm filing this is waaay too early to be true.

I wonder if the staff still has press responsibilities this week

Pretty much every hire Coyle has made since coming to Syracuse has had ties to Boise. I don't think anything changes here. Coyle is taking the approach that if he is going to go down on this job he is going down with his guys and his team. I fully expect Sanford or someone else with ties to Boise to get this job. We will see though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom