Shafer Dismissed per SI | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer Dismissed per SI

Scott Shafer is the 4th highest trend in USA on twitter.

You're right - figured he would have made closer to $1.5m like Kirby.
I was actually shocked when I saw the number, but I believe he is still getting paid from USC (could be wrong)

Biggest mistake on Coyles part. They should of gave him one more year to play his team. The seniors on this team are babies who never liked the coaching change to begin with. He has proven he brought in talent look at Fredericks, Clark and Dungey. Anyone who comes in is going to get Shafes team. You have two years of recruiting classes that believe in him and are talented. Anyone who says any different can jump off a bridge. You had seniors who had a giant chip on their shoulder and could of cared less. Coyle had his own agenda from the beginning. If he wanted to really give him a chance he would of waited until HCSS got to play his team. Not happy at all with this decision.

You know what really sucks? I'm on vacation this week and now with this news I'll be stuck on this damn board all week looking for the latest news regarding this whole situation! That's how my vacations go - either a kid is sick and has to stay home from school or something dramatic happens at SU. dammit.

I remember reading this not too long ago:

Syracuse

Breakdown: Scott Shafer bragging about the Orange's 3-0 record seems like ages ago, as there's a good chance that the Orange finish 3-9 for the second straight year. Shafer has done a good job infusing some young talent into the program, as freshman quarterback Eric Dungey and freshman tailback Jordan Fredericks are tantalizing talents. New athletic director Mark Coyle needs to determine if Shafer is the right long-term answer. The Orange will be heavy underdogs the next four weeks—at Florida State, at Louisville, Clemson and at N.C. State. They close with Boston College at home, and it would be a surprise if the Orange weren't 3-8 headed into that game. Syracuse will have to go outside the box. One name to keep an eye on is Oregon offensive coordinator Scott Frost, who Coyle liked a lot when hiring Bryan Harsin at Boise in 2013. Running an up-tempo offense in the Carrier Dome would make sense and give the Orange an identity it has lacked since the Donovan McNabb era. Frost has been selective about jobs, but now that Nebraska is filled he may be more amendable to moving. Still, Syracuse has little recruiting base and poor resources compared to its league peers and little recent history of success.

Names: Scott Frost, Teryl Austin, Mario Cristobal, Bo Pelini, Joe Moorhead, Dave Warner, Ryan Day, Joe Moglia, Chris Ash, Ed Warinner and D.J. Durkin.

Anyways, I'd love to get a guy like Frost in here.

Scott Shafer is the 4th highest trend in USA on twitter.

And front page news on ESPN right now. Even Rutgers board has a thread on Shafer's firing. :)

I'm very excited about this move for I am tired of losing and a change was needed.

I would like to thank Scott Shafer for his years of service at the Cuse but P5 college football is super big business and when the CEO can't cut it, changes are made.

There has been so much to like about Scott Shafer. I loved the stories of his time working in inner cities and on reservations. It revealed him to be a thoughtful, curious, empathetic person. He truly cares deeply about his players, staff, program, school and community. He seemed to have a great mix of both substance and sizzle. From a personality standpoint he's exactly the kind of guy you want leading your favorite team.

But college football is, first and foremost, a business. A huge business. And none of what I mentioned above matters if a coach doesn't win. Honestly, I'm not sure that's entirely healthy. I worry about the priorities of the P5 schools and their fans who funnel hundreds of millions of dollars into facilities to pamper boosters and attract 18 year olds to play a game. I worry about administrators and coaches who pay lip service to "student athletes" and "building the character of young men" but then race to the next higher-paying job with callous disregard of those very same people who they begged to come play for them.

But whether I like that or not, it certainly is reality.

It's a disappointing day. I really wish things worked out with Shafer. But it hasn't, and although there are lots of events beyond his control that adversely impacted his team's performance, there were also lots of things within his control that just weren't done well enough. It happens.

I have no doubt Shafer will end up in a DC job at a P5 school in short order. He's a very good coach and he'll have well-paying options. The disruption for his family sucks, but that is the life he has chosen, and 7 years in one place is a good run in his line of work.

So I'll say thanks to Scott Shafer. You may not have had the success you, or we, wanted, but it certainly wasn't due to a lack of effort, or a lack of caring. It just didn't work out.

I hope the team is able to send him off with a win on Saturday. And I look forward to the next chapter of SU football. I hope better times are ahead.
I think we can pretty much close the thread now.

Kiffin has left every school he has gone to in worse shape. No thanks.
th

Sad day but an inevitable one. I've already made all the arguments in favor of keeping Shafer and I still believe in them but the losses just kept piling up and it was like rooting for the Titanic to stay afloat. I could look up how many coaches have lost 17 of 21 games and retained their job but I don't think I have to. The situation was clearly unraveling with Shafer making weird decisions, having inadequate and contradictory explanations for those decisions and blowing up on the sideline while his players were getting ejected. I'm sure Coyle wanted his own man in one of the two major jobs and this was his chance to do that.

I continue to doubt that we'll get the "flash hire" some people were looking for. (Please stop with the Lane Kiffin talk.) Of the listed candidates, I'm most intrigued by Dave Warner: http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/dave_warner_282842.html
He's an alum and an offensive guy who has coached at a successful power 5 conference. And he's been with the Spartans, my second favorite college football team. He could be the coach to be named later in the Duffy Daugherty trade.

Whoever it is, I'm glad that all of us who have been arguing about this can now be united in support for the new coach. I'll continue to insist that we need to give him some time to succeed in a job that isn't easy: a private school in a lousy high school football state in an glamorous location trying to compete with southern schools in a loaded division of a power 5 conference. That's a bumpy ride for anyone and we cannot keep changing coaches like underwear and build anything here.

Biggest mistake on Coyles part. They should of gave him one more year to play his team. The seniors on this team are babies who never liked the coaching change to begin with. He has proven he brought in talent look at Fredericks, Clark and Dungey. Anyone who comes in is going to get Shafes team. You have two years of recruiting classes that believe in him and are talented. Anyone who says any different can jump off a bridge. You had seniors who had a giant chip on their shoulder and could of cared less. Coyle had his own agenda from the beginning. If he wanted to really give him a chance he would of waited until HCSS got to play his team. Not happy at all with this decision.

In year three? And how many of them are left?

Aren't those seniors part of the lockerroom that pushed for him?

Can't do that. Shafer was in his last contract year. He either needed to be extended after this season or fired in order for us to realistically tell recruits this year who there coach would be going forward. You can't recruit with a lame duck head coach.

Kind of like breaking up with that person who is really really nice, but just isn't the one for you.

Wish SS the best.

Patricia's isn't leaving Belichick till late January and very likely February. He isn't getting this job or a college job. He is likely on the road to an NFL HC job.

#hotsportztake. Why does Syracuse think they deserve better than 13-23.

That guy probably saw just the LSU/Clemson games and none of the other games.
he has a spreadsheet that overrates us bigtime.

Maybe it's just the haircut but it looks like he has aged a lot since he was named HC.

2015-11-23_10-49-03.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom