Shafer: "Tim's our offensive coordinator moving forward." | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer: "Tim's our offensive coordinator moving forward."

Millhouse said:
if mcdonald were fired at the end of the year and they could do a normal search for an offensive coordinator, tim lester would be pretty far down my list nothing i've seen this season changes that. maybe the injuries spoil everything for lester. oh well. we don't owe him anything. demoting mcf***it gave lester a great opportunity even with the injuries. i think of him like an interim. interims really need to impress to become permanent in my book all depends on whether you look at as - did he he do enough to win the job or did he do enough to lose it. i don't think it should be his until he loses, he needs to show me more because there are lots of guys out there (chip says "don't i know it!!")

I get that. It's more fun to pluck offensive geniuses from other staffs across the country than to roll with what you have.

The truth is that you don't owe Lester anything - but Shafer does owe him a chance to really install his system. It might be due to friendship or whatever - but you're suggesting he throw his friend overboard after getting the job midseason, running someone else's system, etc. Won't happen. And I'm glad that:

A.) Shafer had the sac to demote McDonald and
B.) has the professional and moral compass to give Lester a fair shot - even if Shafer has to go down with the ship after next season.

Cassillo sums up all my thoughts much better than i could.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2014/1...as-offensive-coordinator-2015-oc-orange-coach

What part of the last four games has inspired anyone (especially Shafer and the athletic department) that Lester is the guy who's going to help this group improve in 2015? Again: Not saying he can't do so with a healthy team and a full offseason to really devise his own unique play-calling scheme. But what's saying he CAN do these things based on what we've seen thus far?

Not what I wanted to hear. No knock on Lester, he was thrust into a very tough situation on the fly but I do not like his game calls if in fact, he's actually making the calls right now.

I did note Cool Kid was huddling with Long on almost every time out, break against NCSt which I found strange.
Lester isn't running HIS playbook. Let's give the guy a chance with actual starters and not a half injured team...and actually using his own playbook and not McD's.

I get that. It's more fun to pluck offensive geniuses from other staffs across the country than to roll with what you have.

The truth is that you don't owe Lester anything - but Shafer does owe him a chance to really install his system. It might be due to friendship or whatever - but you're suggesting he throw his friend overboard after getting the job midseason, running someone else's system, etc. Won't happen. And I'm glad that:

A.) Shafer had the sac to demote McDonald and
B.) has the professional and moral compass to give Lester a fair shot - even if Shafer has to go down with the ship after next season.
lester could go back to the job he had last year. that's the job he'll get anywhere else

if mcdonald were fired at the end of the year and they could do a normal search for an offensive coordinator, tim lester would be pretty far down my list

I doubt that a current OC from another P5 team would make a lateral move to come here.

So that leaves OC's from the little 5, FCS, and D2, or someone else with zero experience.

You don't mind sharing your list with the rest of us, do you?

This may have more to do with attempting to preserve this recruiting class than anything else. You don't want to tell offensive recruits they may be playing under a new OC and a new system. Also not sure who in this class were recruited principally by Lester.

I doubt that a current OC from another P5 team would make a lateral move to come here.

So that leaves OC's from the little 5, FCS, and D2, or someone else with zero experience.

You don't mind sharing your list with the rest of us, do you?
i think it's funny that Lester doesn't even make your list. i suspect that wasn't the point you were going for

we've had crappy coaches for a hundred years and we've been through this drill. anyone i suggest will be met with a "he won't come here" or "he's not northern" or "he's not ABCDEFG negative blood type"

there are lots of schools like elmhurst out there. some coach out there might know briles or meyers offense instead of cubit's or mazzone's

Whitey23 said:
Cassillo sums up all my thoughts much better than i could. http://www.nunesmagician.com/2014/1...as-offensive-coordinator-2015-oc-orange-coach What part of the last four games has inspired anyone (especially Shafer and the athletic department) that Lester is the guy who's going to help this group improve in 2015? Again: Not saying he can't do so with a healthy team and a full offseason to really devise his own unique play-calling scheme. But what's saying he CAN do these things based on what we've seen thus far?

Shafer.

Millhouse said:
lester could go back to the job he had last year. that's the job he'll get anywhere else

You don't know how good he could be. There's no way of knowing. You just see the jewelry in the window and want the shiny thing. And in a vacuum - would be fine.

But it's Shafer's staff, it's his guys that he trusts - if he wants to take a full season to see if Lester can do it - it's his job on the line.

You don't know how good he could be. There's no way of knowing. You just see the jewelry in the window and want the shiny thing. And in a vacuum - would be fine.

But it's Shafer's staff, it's his guys that he trusts - if he wants to take a full season to see if Lester can do it - it's his job on the line.

i'm just saying i expect shafer to fail. i think he'd be better off handing the keys to someone else. i want to like the guy but shafer's not good enough.

@dougherty_jesse
Shafer on Lester's future when asked about next season: "Tim's our offensive coordinator moving forward."

Does this mean McDonald stays? He seems to be okay with Lester as his replacement. Or at least that's what he says.

I'm not sure why Shafer needed to commit to Lester right now. Maybe it's a locker-room harmony thing that we'll never know about but it seems unnecessary. We've got three more games. Let's see how the offense does before deciding who'll call the plays next year. Again and again Shafer has shown himself as impulsive and rash. Not great qualities for a head man.

Does this mean McDonald stays? He seems to be okay with Lester as his replacement. Or at least that's what he says.

I'm not sure why Shafer needed to commit to Lester right now. Maybe it's a locker-room harmony thing that we'll never know about but it seems unnecessary. We've got three more games. Let's see how the offense does before deciding who'll call the plays next year. Again and again Shafer has shown himself as impulsive and rash. Not great qualities for a head man.
moving forward doesn't have to mean forever

you can say that and hire someone else in january

i wonder what kind of expectations are set for shafer by gross

i'm just saying i expect shafer to fail. i think he'd be better off handing the keys to someone else. i want to like the guy but shafer's not good enough.

Yep. That's a fine position.

I'm more on the hopeful side. Still 3 games left this season and a bunch next. Hope both Shafer and Lester turn it around.

There's the NCAA ruling and Gross's future playing a part too. Who knows what will happen.

moving forward doesn't have to mean forever

you can say that and hire someone else in january

i wonder what kind of expectations are set for shafer by gross

Read the Bailey article. He's pretty definitive about Lester as OC next year. At this point, I'm hoping Syverud and Marcoccia are building a case for the Trustees to ship Gross out. Can't have him making any more decisions about the football program.

Read the Bailey article. He's pretty definitive about Lester as OC next year. At this point, I'm hoping Syverud and Marcoccia are building a case for the Trustees to ship Gross out. Can't have him making any more decisions about the football program.
3 more losses might change his mind. he's already shown that he's not scared to pull the plug

if mcdonald were fired at the end of the year and they could do a normal search for an offensive coordinator, tim lester would be pretty far down my list

nothing i've seen this season changes that. maybe the injuries spoil everything for lester. oh well. we don't owe him anything. demoting mcf***it gave lester a great opportunity even with the injuries.

i think of him like an interim. interims really need to impress to become permanent in my book

all depends on whether you look at as - did he he do enough to win the job or did he do enough to lose it. i don't think it should be his until he loses, he needs to show me more because there are lots of guys out there (chip says "don't i know it!!")

If you could represent SU and do a normal search for an OC, who would be on your list starting at the top?

Millhouse is the most negative poster on the board. It gets old and I wish he would root for someone else. I have been an SU fan since 1971 s I have been through a lot of bad years. I think Shaf should at least get four years with his recruits. Changing coaches constantly just shows lack of character for a private university. Lets be honest, not big time coach will come to SU and even if they did it would be just a stepping stone. So the most we would get out of that would be three years before they moved to greener pastures.

If you could represent SU and do a normal search for an OC, who would be on your list starting at the top?
i'm on board with go's Philip Montgomery

matt lubick at oregon (i know, doubtful)

lincoln riley at ECU

i'm just googling good schemes with guys who might want a promotion

i don't know who's out there in FCS. i wouldn't make this list by myself if i represented SU

Millhouse is the most negative poster on the board. It gets old and I wish he would root for someone else. I have been an SU fan since 1971 s I have been through a lot of bad years. I think Shaf should at least get four years with his recruits. Changing coaches constantly just shows lack of character for a private university. Lets be honest, not big time coach will come to SU and even if they did it would be just a stepping stone. So the most we would get out of that would be three years before they moved to greener pastures.
we don't change coaches constantly