Shafer: "Tim's our offensive coordinator moving forward." | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer: "Tim's our offensive coordinator moving forward."

"Tim is our offensive coordinator. I will evaluate our program when our season concludes, hopefully after a bowl game, as we do every season. Our goal is always to have people in the roles that will allow them to best contribute to our program's success."

How hard is that to say?

Do these guys ever think about how to answer questions they have to know they will get?

And people wonder why Belichick says nothing in his pressers. He's smart.

You're right, the program is clearly going in the right direction. We should be grateful for 3-9.
Um Check the injuries..

You cannot play with 3rd stringers with this sched...

You're right, the program is clearly going in the right direction. We should be grateful for 3-9.

I believe that the program is going in the right direction. I also believe that the losses are more on injuries than coaching decisions or talent. I never said I or anyone should be grateful for 3-9. Where the hell did you get hat from? We are 3-9 already? Did Gerg ever go 3-9? Never said anything of the sort. I wasn't comparing Gerg to Shafer, you were. That is the definition of insanity.

3rd stringers didn't need a miracle to beat Nova,
Upsets happen it is CFB. We won the game thats all that matters. It was a miracle Maryland beat us with our total yards... But we lost the game.

Irrelevant. "We should be 2-7" well we could be 4-5 or even 5-4 but we are NOT.

I believe that the program is going in the right direction. I also believe that the losses are more on injuries than coaching decisions or talent. I never said I or anyone should be grateful for 3-9. Where the hell did you get hat from? We are 3-9 already? Did Gerg ever go 3-9? Never said anything of the sort. I wasn't comparing Gerg to Shafer, you were. That is the definition of insanity.

I was on the Shafer bandwagon. Now I'm off it. When Gerg went 3-9 at least he walked into South Bend and won. This is worse. Our best win is freaking CMU. This season is a joke. Even UConn somehow managed to beat UCF and Temple beat ECU. Both of those wins are 10x better than any of our three.

And I genuinely hope you're right and can throw this post in my face if we pick it up and rally for a win or two.

Scott Shafer was a great defensive coordinator. There's no shame in that.

None of this will conversation will matter if Gross gets canned after the results of the NCAA investigation come to light. If Syverud installs a new AD the whole football staff could get wiped out, and not for the better.

I was on the Shafer bandwagon. Now I'm off it. When Gerg went 3-9 at least he walked into South Bend and won. This is worse. Our best win is freaking CMU. This season is a joke. Even UConn somehow managed to beat UCF and Temple beat ECU. Both of those wins are 10x better than any of our three.

And I genuinely hope you're right and can throw this post in my face if we pick it up and rally for a win or two.

Scott Shafer was a great defensive coordinator. There's no shame in that.
Yet if we win out you will be back on board? Once you hop off your off in my book

Yet if we win out you will be back on board? Once you hop off your off in my book

Good thing none of our books are official.

But what has this team done over the last nine games to make you think they can outscore anyone?

NKR1978 said:
Good thing none of our books are official. But what has this team done over the last nine games to make you think they can outscore anyone?

Our defense has been very good. Scoring has been the problem - but at least we're not in the hole by 21 most games. It's more frustrating because we've been so damned close, but out scoring someone might only involve an offensive score and a pick 6.

Chip said:
Millhouse should start a thread about how good he is at navigating through a bag of popcorn with his hands when he has a dome dog in his mouth. (that was a metaphor, it's a family environment in that Dome).
Multitasking

Good thing none of our books are official.

But what has this team done over the last nine games to make you think they can outscore anyone?

Definition of a fair weather fan...When things are good, I'm on board. When things are bad I'm not on board.

Distance myself and complain about a losing team. Say "I knew it all along, I was behind them the whole time" when they win.

Just say no.

Lets just say the center for innovation is not some second division B10 program.
I thought the only way Shafer would bring in someone from the outside to serve as OC was if Cubit become available.

I am sad to see Coach Shafer staking his future on a guy with no D1 experience as a coordinator, whose preferred offense features 2 TE sets. I worry this is the worst possible thing that could have happened. Even keeping McDonald as OC would have been preferred to me.

I hope that if GM leaves, Shafer is prudent enough to replace him with someone with extensive experience as an OC, preferably someone who has experience beating more talented defenses by outscheming them.

That being said, hoping for the best and would love to eat some crow next season if the SU offense sets a bunch of records for scoring and total yards gained.

Last edited:
I thought the only way Shafer would bring in someone from the outside to serve as OC was if Cubit become available, which it appears will happen.

I am sad to see Coach Shafer staking his future on a guy with no D1 experience as a coordinator, whose preferred offense features 2 TE sets. I worry this is the worst possible thing that could have happened. Even keeping McDonald as OC would have been preferred to me.

I hope that if GM leaves, Shafer is prudent enough to replace him with someone with extensive experience as an OC, preferably someone who has experience beating more talented defenses by outscheming them.

That being said, hoping for the best and would love to eat some crow next season if the SU offense sets a bunch of records for scoring and total yards gained.

I think we have historically performed better when we have a power running team. With both Hackett and McDonald who wanted high flying offenses couldn't get away from the power running between the tackles. Without it we weren't successful.

I think the base personnel doesn't really make that much difference, especially when the tight ends that we are recruiting are good pass catchers with not traditional tight end bodies. Guys that will be plugged in at TE are Custis, Enoicy.

They can motion out to split wide or line up in traditional TE spots. I really like the idea of 12 personnel myself.

Definition of a fair weather fan...When things are good, I'm on board. When things are bad I'm not on board.

Distance myself and complain about a losing team. Say "I knew it all along, I was behind them the whole time" when they win.

Right. That's why I'm driving up to Syracuse this weekend for the Duke game, staying at the Sheraton and spending a decent amount of money that could be put to more responsible use. That's why I flew to Chicago for the Northwestern game in 08 at peak Gerg. That's why I'm already planning the trip back for LSU next year and to Baton Rouge in 2017.

Not believing in Shafer's ability to get things done doesn't mean I'm not on board with the program. And if I'm wrong, I'll admit I'm wrong and be glad for it. It won't be the first or last time in my life I've happily admitted to being wrong. Again, I genuinely hope you're right and hope that you get to call me out for being an idiot. Will you admit you're wrong when he falls flat on his face some more?

Right. That's why I'm driving up to Syracuse this weekend for the Duke game, staying at the Sheraton and spending a decent amount of money that could be put to more responsible use. That's why I flew to Chicago for the Northwestern game in 08 at peak Gerg. That's why I'm already planning the trip back for LSU next year and to Baton Rouge in 2017.

Not believing in Shafer's ability to get things done doesn't mean I'm not on board with the program. And if I'm wrong, I'll admit I'm wrong and be glad for it. It won't be the first or last time in my life I've happily admitted to being wrong. Again, I genuinely hope you're right and hope that you get to call me out for being an idiot. Will you admit you're wrong when he falls flat on his face some more?

Would never call you an idiot, just not a fan of being wishy washy about my team. I am and have been a fan of Shafer's, not saying everyone has to be. I think he means what he says and does it.

I am not always a fan of assistant coaches but HCSS has proven to be able to make the hard decisions to this point and I trust he knows what he is doing.

That being said, I am in awe of you flying into Chicago on 2008 peak Gerg to watch that team play.

Not that you need me to vouch for you, but based on your posting history, I have no doubt that you are true Orange fan through everything.

I think we have historically performed better when we have a power running team. With both Hackett and McDonald who wanted high flying offenses couldn't get away from the power running between the tackles. Without it we weren't successful.

I think the base personnel doesn't really make that much difference, especially when the tight ends that we are recruiting are good pass catchers with not traditional tight end bodies. Guys that will be plugged in at TE are Custis, Enoicy.

They can motion out to split wide or line up in traditional TE spots. I really like the idea of 12 personnel myself.
looking at our own history limits us way too much

it's like the opposite of that cliche about being doomed to repeat it. we need to focus less on SU history and focus more on current events outside SU

I repeat: he was given the job mid season. It was never an interim job. Everyone assumed that it was interim, I think.
But it doesn't matter whther it was 'interim' or not. Asst coaches are seldom anything other than year-to-year.

I thought the only way Shafer would bring in someone from the outside to serve as OC was if Cubit become available.

what other school in the country would hire lester to be OC?

looking at our own history limits us way too much

it's like the opposite of that cliche about being doomed to repeat it. we need to focus less on SU history and focus more on current events outside SU

I think to get a good OC who will put pressure on a defense and take risks, etc it will need to be a HC/OC type. I don't see Shafer turning it loose on offense being a defensive guy just not in their nature. Hire a new OC and they will be coaching with one hand tied behind their back, happens a lot with OC's who work for D guys, unless your Lincoln Riley.

You cant get rid of Shafe at this point but the future looks very very shaky but I give the guy credit for pushing his chips all in with his band. It's dumb business but admirable on the loyalty end, I want him to succeed because he really is a great guy, but I don't believe this will end well.

Not seeing the "it" factor on offense at all. It's actually quite disgraceful what he is putting out there right now. He should be embarrassed really as should the University for the product they are trying to sell. Get what you pay for I guess as do the fans

Last edited: