Sheehey connection | Syracusefan.com

Sheehey connection

There is a difference between "no hard feelings" and wanting playing time. he felt he was stuck on the bench, so why not transfer to another D1 school that is also within driving distance of home?

There is a difference between "no hard feelings" and wanting playing time. he felt he was stuck on the bench, so why not transfer to another D1 school that is also within driving distance of home?
I remember him leaving and it was a slight disappointment but no animosity or anything. He wanted to play and was wise enough at a young age to realize that he was behind 3 pretty special players at SU.

I remember him leaving and it was a slight disappointment but no animosity or anything. He wanted to play and was wise enough at a young age to realize that he was behind 3 pretty special players at SU.
There was some speculation at the time that SU recruited him to get an in with his brother Tom and when Tom went to Virginia, SU lost interest in him. That is why some thought there were hard feelings involved.

There was some speculation at the time that SU recruited him to get an in with his brother Tom and when Tom went to Virginia, SU lost interest in him. That is why some thought there were hard feelings involved.
As I recall, Mike left for the bonnies and the Sheehey family wouldn't let jb in the house to recruit Tom.

As I recall, Mike left for the bonnies and the Sheehey family wouldn't let jb in the house to recruit Tom.

That was my recollection at the time (I was at the Rochester D&C, although not in sports), so I asked Donna if she got any sense of that angle in her interview. She said she knew Mike at St. Bonaventure and, apparently, bygones have been bygoned.-VBOF

That was my recollection at the time (I was at the Rochester D&C, although not in sports), so I asked Donna if she got any sense of that angle in her interview. She said she knew Mike at St. Bonaventure and, apparently, bygones have been bygoned.-VBOF
IIRC Mike's opinion -- and his dad's -- of his ability did not approach that held by his coach.