Should 44 be used as a recruiting tool... | Syracusefan.com

Should 44 be used as a recruiting tool...

BKCuse

Starter
I love to see us this aggressive!

It's great PR since every kid in Florida will be talking and thinking about the Cuse & the Swag Daddy offering 8th graders.

Plus when the kid becomes a 5 star, Dino will have had a full four years to explain that wearing 44 in the Dome, in his offense, can win Don Chaney Jr a Heisman.

I can't wait to see how good we are in 4 years under Dino.

I love to see us this aggressive!

It's great PR since every kid in Florida will be talking and thinking about the Cuse & the Swag Daddy offering 8th graders.

Plus when the kid becomes a 5 star, Dino will have had a full four years to explain that wearing 44 in the Dome, in his offense, can win Don Chaney Jr a Heisman.

I can't wait to see how good we are in 4 years under Dino.

I love our aggressiveness but for the love of god, can we drop the idea of giving 44 to one pampered, chosen, on a pedestal recruit??? Who came up with this idea? All the talk about team and family? Or is it team, family, and Mr. 44?

Ish88888 said:
I love our aggressiveness but for the love of god, can we drop the idea of giving 44 to one pampered, chosen, on a pedestal recruit??? Who came up with this idea? All the talk about team and family? Or is it team, family, and Mr. 44?

Who came up with the idea? The only coach to deliver a National Championship in football here?

I mean, I'm all for "times change, recruiting changes" and even for "let a kid earn it on campus" - but c'mon. The history of 44 is pretty clear: incoming freshman RB.

Who came up with the idea? The only coach to deliver a National Championship in football here?

I mean, I'm all for "times change, recruiting changes" and even for "let a kid earn it on campus" - but c'mon. The history of 44 is pretty clear: incoming freshman RB.
Actually the idea of using it as a recruiting tool and promising it to a recruit started in the '80's, if I recall. For most of it's history it was given to whoever the starter was.

A lacrosse coach? If it was a fb coach, if it was a good idea in the 60's, it sure isnt a good idea in this day and age. Its a cherished number, love all it stands for but keep it in the rafters , a small number on the unis. It's the history of cuse football. So we are going to pick and choose which temperamental, entitled 4 or 5 star recruit gets to rip it down from the rafters and roll the dice with? And what will his teammates immediate thought be of such a recruit? If a kid needs to be promised this sacred number to come to cuse, then I am not interested. Did the yankees ever promise a huge free agent stud #3??? No, they would never. 44 is or 3.

sufandu said:
Actually the idea of using it as a recruiting tool and promising it to a recruit started in the '80's, if I recall. For most of it's history it was given to whoever the starter was.

Hmmm. Have to look it up - thought it was given to "an upcoming player showing great promise"...

Ish88888 said:
A lacrosse coach? If it was a fb coach, if it was a good idea in the 60's, it sure isnt a good idea in this day and age. Its a cherished number, love all it stands for but keep it in the rafters , a small number on the unis. It's the history of cuse football. So we are going to pick and choose which temperamental, entitled 4 or 5 star recruit gets to rip it down from the rafters and roll the dice with? And what will his teammates immediate thought be of such a recruit? If a kid needs to be promised this sacred number to come to cuse, then I am not interested. Did the yankees ever promise a huge free agent stud #3??? No, they would never. 44 is or 3.

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't - but the best players to ever set foot on campus began their careers with it on.

They rolled the dice with every player who ever wore it.

Back in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's...the # was realizing it's greatness. Its out history, just bc you slap it on some pampered 4* recruit outta Florida doesn't mean...poof!!! They become ernie davis! Its a bad precedence to set. What kinda message does it send to the rest of the team. Back in the day when 44 was worn, none new what it would become in history. Giving a 2016 recruit this # is laughable and the worst idea and a recruiting gimmick.

Yup. When I think of Ernie Davis, all I think of is temperamental and entitled. :rolleyes:

Yup. When I think of Ernie Davis, all I think of is temperamental and entitled. :rolleyes:

Um, you are missing the whole point, even twisting it. My point is today's blue chippers are entitled, so do they deserve ernie's number on a whim?

Giving 44 to an incoming recruit is the worst idea in 20 years. The most desperate recruiting gimmick ever.

Ish88888 said:
I love our aggressiveness but for the love of god, can we drop the idea of giving 44 to one pampered, chosen, on a pedestal recruit??? Who came up with this idea?

Ben Schwartzwalder came up with the idea when he recruited our our only Heisman trophy winner Ernie Davis, that's why people keep going back to it and will continue to. This board will fight over 44 forever but tradition is what pushes the conversation. Perhaps tradition from a bygone era perhaps not.

CuseLegacy said:
Because this debate does not belong in an individual prospects thread...especially a 2020 offeree. Keep the discussion here please.

Agreed 100%, I tried to close it out.

I'm not a fan of retired numbers. The longer it stays retired, the less meaning it has to to the younger generation. Most of them already don't know of Brown, Davis and Little. Pretty soon it will be like Civil War history.

Keep the number alive.

I can remember when Mandel Robinson was being recruited and the no.44 was a very prominent decision on why choosing Syracuse as it was used then as a recruiting tool.

I'm not a fan of retired numbers. The longer it stays retired, the less meaning it has to to the younger generation. Most of them already don't know of Brown, Davis and Little. Pretty soon it will be like Civil War history.

Keep the number alive.
And the more you use it for guys that aren't transcendent talents, the more watered down the legend becomes.

It sounds like it would take a perfect recruit for Babers to consider offering it to a kid. The kid would have to be an incredible can't miss kid with very high character and someone that understands what wearing that number means.

bnoro said:
And the more you use it for guys that aren't transcendent talents, the more watered down the legend becomes.

I think this is where I disagree with both you and Babers, respectfully.

There's a difference between living up to a legend and honoring that legend by wearing the number.

The right kid with the right mix of character and unbelievable talent could wear it in honor of those guys and really tie this era to the proud history - even if the production on the field doesn't match Brown, Davis, and Little.

Side note: if Babers is able to do for us what he did for Bowling Green or Briles at Baylor, then we will start to have players with numbers that garner Heisman/All-American type consideration.

Keep the number alive.

Agree with this. Retire jerseys, same as the basketball team, for those players whose accomplishments warrant the honor [and there are several].

Keep #44 in play for recruiting, but only use it selectively.

Last edited:

Simple solution: don't offer it to those type of recruits.

And who knows--maybe the next 44 will build upon the legend instead of watering it down.

I can remember when Mandel Robinson was being recruited and the no.44 was a very prominent decision on why choosing Syracuse as it was used then as a recruiting tool.

Isn't that also the reason why he left SU and transferred to Wyoming?

Fans were expecting him to be the next Jim Brown, and when he didn't meet expectations they let him know it. :oops: