Should Syracuse and Georgetown end the regular season going forward? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Should Syracuse and Georgetown end the regular season going forward?

We need to move forward. I like playing Gtown as a non conf game but i wouldn't make it more than that.

Nostalgia...This would be a real throw back. We should see if we can get Mitchell & Ness to promote it.

Actually I like the idea a lot, at least as a counter for our lack of meaningless end of season ACC games the last few years.

How about a slightly different take on Col. Bleep's idea.

An early season MSG tournament featuring - SU, Villanova, Gtown and UConn. Problem is now that UConn is back in the Big East, not sure how you'd sell the three Big East teams on possibly playing two non-conference games against conference opponents.

Love the idea of the idea of closing the season with Georgetown for a couple of years. I suspect it would get old fast, especially in a year like this year where it would essentially be a glorified early NIT game.

I am fairly certain that under NCAA regulations, a regular season tournament is not permitted to have two teams from the same conference.

I don't see that. It would be like college football SEC-ACC season ending rivalry games.
Those games matter to each fanbase and they know they still have their conference football championship games potentially the following week.
It's just they know to start every season they are ending the regular season with a nonconference game.

Ending with Georgetown wouldn't impact our chances at the ACC championship we would just being playing a nonconference rivalry game to end the season and not have a bye weekend earlier during the conference play.
Why cant we just play them during "rivalry week". One of the best rivalries in college basketball. I realize it would be a nonconference game during the conference schedule but is it that big of a deal? Gotta imagine a double header of Duke vs NC, and Syracuse vs Gtown would be easy to sell.

Why cant we just play them during "rivalry week". One of the best rivalries in college basketball. I realize it would be a nonconference game during the conference schedule but is it that big of a deal? Gotta imagine a double header of Duke vs NC, and Syracuse vs Gtown would be easy to sell.
Rivalry week gimmick doesn’t really matter in college basketball.
I think playing them the last game every regular season would at least give this rivalry some juice. We know we will be playing in DC or the Dome every year.

This would help the two conferences scheduling wise.

Season ending rivalry games should be done like football.
Syracuse-Georgetown
Duke-North Carolina
NC State-Wake Forest
Virginia-Virginia Tech
Florida State-Miami
Clemson-Georgia Tech
Notre Dame-Boston College
Pittsburgh-Louisville

It’s not hard.
So every team would alternate being at home and on the road for the last game of the season.

With the SEC-Big XII challenge and people wanting to play a nonconference game late in the season.

This was brought up 2 years ago.

People have to stop with the nostalgia stuff. I loved being a kid but that's over. We have been in the Acc nearly a decade now. I still like playing Gtown but play them early.

Season ending rivalry games should be done like football.
Syracuse-Georgetown
Duke-North Carolina
NC State-Wake Forest
Virginia-Virginia Tech
Florida State-Miami
Clemson-Georgia Tech
Notre Dame-Boston College
Pittsburgh-Louisville

It’s not hard.
So every team would alternate being at home and on the road for the last game of the season.
Why would we be the only Acc school playing a non conf game? Your over thinking play gtown in December and be done with it.

They could have it on the Saturday night opposite the Big East and ACC tourney finals, since neither team has been in them in years...sorry couldn't resist
Wasn’t Georgetown in it last year?

Why would we be the only Acc school playing a non conf game? Your over thinking play gtown in December and be done with it.
I am only gojng to explain this one time.
The ACC has 15 teams.
The Big East has 11 teams.
One team is off every mid week and weekend as a result.

If the two teams wanted to play the last weekend of the season they schedule the game there. Question is do the teams want it.

I am only gojng to explain this one time.
The ACC has 15 teams.
The Big East has 11 teams.
One team is off every mid week and weekend as a result.

If the two teams wanted to play the last weekend of the season they schedule the game there. Question is do the teams want it.
No we are in the Acc now move on. If you want to do it for Boeheims last year and end with Gtown thats fine. If you want to end the season with Pitt or Bc do it. Move on folks we are an Acc school.

No we are in the Acc now move on. If you want to do it for Boeheims last year and end with Gtown thats fine. If you want to end the season with Pitt or Bc do it. Move on folks we are an Acc school.
This will always be how the rivalry ended for me, no matter how much they play these meaningless games:

Agree.

Not to mention Georgetown's players take the game far more seriously than ours do.

Agree.

Not to mention Georgetown's players take the game far more seriously than ours do.
What does that say about our team if we don’t take a game seriously? That’s a joke. I don’t believe this at all.

What does that say about our team if we don’t take a game seriously? That’s a joke. I don’t believe this at all.

They manage to play their best game of the season against us. We definitely don't play ours. Our program has been better yet they are beating us most years.

I love that idea. I miss the Town on a very cold early March showdown on CBS.

We lost a ton of rivalries moving to the ACC. Anything to preserve it would be great. I’d say play UConn over xmas too and schedule St. John’s ar the Garden too

Sure beats playing Clemson.

I love that idea. I miss the Town on a very cold early March showdown on CBS.

We lost a ton of rivalries moving to the ACC. Anything to preserve it would be great. I’d say play UConn over xmas too and schedule St. John’s ar the Garden too

Sure beats playing Clemson.
The problem is that the entire hierarchy of the BigEast has an axe to grind with Syracuse because they left the "family" and now make a lot more money. Their coaches coach like their jobs on the line and the officiating is often very one sided. Boeheim looks at it like we played those teams before the BE and when SU was in the BE and they are respected old rivals. They don't respect SU. they just want to do damage to SU anyway possible, like a spiteful ex.

I am fairly certain that under NCAA regulations, a regular season tournament is not permitted to have two teams from the same conference.
I don't think this technically would be a tournament.
There's no "winner."
It's just each team playing two games against non-conference opponents:

SU-Gtown
SU-UConn
Pitt-Gtown
Pitt-UConn

Would love 'Nova instead of Pitt.
But then you'd have SU and 3 current BE teams.
And that would mean the BE teams would play conference opponents... which would be an issue.

It's old school showdown basketball.
It would sell out MSG every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom