Signature Win | Syracusefan.com

Signature Win

storange

2023 Cali Award Rushing Touchdowns
Its Shafer's last chance for a signature win for 2014. He's had some nice wins but not the big one yet. Marrone broke the ice in my mind with the win over WVU on the road in his second year. I know Duke is 6-1 but I don't think of them as a power yet? Clemson is gettable, but we would have to eliminate the errors from MD and Louisville to have legit chance.

I would settle for Duke.
only if theyre ranked, but its still not like what STO is saying, which i totally get.

in the old bigeast, i was scared of no one, scratch that...i was scared of miami, but everyone else...a top 5 vpi or wv? no problem. maybe i was just worried.

or when it was the bmw and there were top 5 lville or cincy?...nobody scared me. lil worry was there for sure.

i always felt Syracuse could rise up and beat them, SS needs 1.

clemson would fit the bill. i be worried.

dook wouldnt. it would be like beating a top 5 nsewfu. at the end of the day...who cares???

Last edited:
only if theyre ranked, but its still not like what STO is saying, which i totally get.

in the old bigeast, i was scared of no one, scratch that...i was scared of miami, but everyone else...a top 5 vpi or wv? no problem. maybe i was just worried.

or when it was the bmw and there were top 5 lville or cincy?...nobody scared me. lil worry was there for sure.

i always felt Syracuse could rise up and beat them, SS needs 1.

clemson would fit the bill. i be worried.

dook wouldnt. it would be like beating a top 5 nsewfu. at the end of the day...who cares???

I get it about the signature thing. But that ain't happening this year. You may not care about Duke but I do. At this point, we have little chance of beating Clemson in Death Valley and a good chance of beating Duke at home.

If we beat Duke it will turn some heads and recruits will certainly take notice. I care a lot.

I get it about the signature thing. But that ain't happening this year. You may not care about Duke but I do. At this point, we have little chance of beating Clemson in Death Valley and a good chance of beating Duke at home.

If we beat Duke it will turn some heads and recruits will certainly take notice. I care a lot.
hey, beating dook would be freakin awesome.

it would mean that we likely have a real QB and that the Orange could run the table to a 7-5 record and a not-so-crappy, but not good either...bowl.

ill sign up for that right now.

but all it would be is a slash in the W column.

a very important one for sure, but not 1 where 3 years from now we are looking back waxing poetic about the great Ws of SS.

With absolutely no disrespect intended to anybody in this thread--I say this with peace and love, for all you Stern fans out there--but who cares about signature wins? The only thing that matters is actual wins, no matter how we come by them.

With an experienced Long and lots of offensive skilled talent returning next year, we can start chasing signature wins. I'm starting to believe that Long is a difference-maker, and with a kid like that at the helm, we're going to knock off a lot of teams down the road. But if our kids rally and somehow coax 3 wins out of the final 5 games and qualifies for a bowl, I'll be satisfied given how the first half of the season unfolded.

With absolutely no disrespect intended to anybody in this thread--I say this with peace and love, for all you Stern fans out there--but who cares about signature wins? The only thing that matters is actual wins, no matter how we come by them. Given how this season has unfolded, the goal for the remainder of this year should be all about qualifying for a bowl.

With an experienced Long and lots of offensive skilled talent returning next year, we can start chasing signature wins. I'm starting to believe that Long is a difference-maker, and with a kid like that at the helm, we're going to knock off a lot of teams down the road. But if our kids rally and somehow coax 3 wins out of the final 5 games, I'll be satisfied.

It's certainly not at the top of our goals list. Winning at least 3 out of 4 in November is goal #1, 2 and 3 at this point.

But that signature win is going to be nice someday. We just don't have that many chances in this league. It's really just FSU and Clemson. I wouldn't call Louisville a signature win, and they are 3rd in pecking order in the Atlantic. The entire Coastal could finish 4-4. All 7 of them. Not that beating VT and Miami wouldn't feel terrific. If only we could play them.

It doesn't matter that if Duke would beat Clemson or not. A lot of this is about perception, ACC fans may know that Duke is pretty good but Duke hasn't been that impressive. Good win over Ga Tech, but that's it. A bad loss to a very mediocre Miami, three cupcake wins. Unfortunately for them they dont get FSU or Clemson and a chance to show there stuff. Duke also plays in a small stadium that they struggle to sell out. ( sound familiar ) Clemson plays in daunted Death Valley and the its a name program. ( Perception !!!)

unless we win 3 more games no one will ever care we beat clemson because that will mean we lost a least 4 game to teams that we should be able to beat

I gotta be honest, even Marrone's wins to me didn't scream signature wins... WVU and UL were very good teams, but they weren't FSU or LSU or Clemson in Death Valley. I can't remember a time when that last happened, and couldn't imagine the interest it would generate to our team.

Its Shafer's last chance for a signature win for 2014. He's had some nice wins but not the big one yet. Marrone broke the ice in my mind with the win over WVU on the road in his second year. I know Duke is 6-1 but I don't think of them as a power yet? Clemson is gettable, but we would have to eliminate the errors from MD and Louisville to have legit chance.

Winning in Death Valley with a true frosh QB, a lot of other younger players playing a big part and a plethora of injuries... this would absolutely be a signature win and probably (imo) vault the AJ Long excitement into the stratosphere.

Winning in Death Valley with a true frosh QB, a lot of other younger players playing a big part and a plethora of injuries... this would absolutely be a signature win and probably (imo) vault the AJ Long excitement into the stratosphere.
If we pulled the upset and Long has a big day...absolutely.

I'll take a bowl over beating Clemson. After the QB and OC situation, that should be our only goal. Clemson would just be icing.

With absolutely no disrespect intended to anybody in this thread--I say this with peace and love, for all you Stern fans out there--but who cares about signature wins? The only thing that matters is actual wins, no matter how we come by them.

With an experienced Long and lots of offensive skilled talent returning next year, we can start chasing signature wins. I'm starting to believe that Long is a difference-maker, and with a kid like that at the helm, we're going to knock off a lot of teams down the road. But if our kids rally and somehow coax 3 wins out of the final 5 games and qualifies for a bowl, I'll be satisfied given how the first half of the season unfolded.
ringo.png

When is the last time y'all played in a venue like Death Valley? (Honestly curious, I'm not trying to set anything up with that question.)

When is the last time y'all played in a venue like Death Valley? (Honestly curious, I'm not trying to set anything up with that question.)
Go over the mountains and play West Virginny , see if that's a cake walk, ask Baylor about it.

The good news is that Syracuse has played and beaten much better teams than this Clemson team in SU's recent history.

;)
Screw that. I want to see what a loss to "lowly no-history" Syracuse program does to Clemson fans. Like a gremlin getting wet.
Wait...I thought it was us with the "no history"?;)

4 days ago in Winston-Salem.

I guess last year in Tallahassee, although I'm not sure we actually "played" in that game.

Most of the current players probably haven't. We went out to Mizzou a couple years ago for a night game, that place was pretty loud. And we won. Only a handful of contributors were playing in that game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom