Sloan to Graduate in May | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Sloan to Graduate in May

Good to hear that Ryan will be receiving his SU degree. Considering the grade bumping allegations in the wake of his signing with the Orange there was a lot of public speculation -- I'm not referring to this board -- that he couldn't handle college academics. Maybe it's not engineering or biochemistry but he's going to have an SU degree and that counts for something.

Either way I just don't see why the PS constantly thinks it's a good idea to try and make the program look bad, especially when you know (or they should) there is more to the story. The average Central New Yorker, or anyone else (recruits/recruits parents) reading this article will think we have a total assshole running the program. I am sure the staff is furious over this article, just like they have been about numerous other pieces they done the past year. Now I know the excuse. It's not my job to be a cheerleader for the program. Ok, fine I understand that, but do they really think continually doing stuff like this is going to gain them more access? It's not, and more access is what the average reader should want. I don't remember Rahme doing stuff like this, and that's why he got access, which made his stuff a must read. And say what you want about Mike M over at tos, but he gets the access he does because he doesn't write BS like this. He'll throw out a puff piece every now and again, but imo it's worth it. I know the staff isn't feeding stuff to the PS guys, but you know who they are feeding information...it's the guy who doesn't write 1 sided articles.
Agree totally, if they would write articles like the one Jekelish did with Trey's, Shy's, and Steve's parents people would get a WHOLE different perspective.

Either way I just don't see why the PS constantly thinks it's a good idea to try and make the program look bad, especially when you know (or they should) there is more to the story. The average Central New Yorker, or anyone else (recruits/recruits parents) reading this article will think we have a total assshole running the program. I am sure the staff is furious over this article, just like they have been about numerous other pieces they done the past year. Now I know the excuse. It's not my job to be a cheerleader for the program. Ok, fine I understand that, but do they really think continually doing stuff like this is going to gain them more access? It's not, and more access is what the average reader should want. I don't remember Rahme doing stuff like this, and that's why he got access, which made his stuff a must read. And say what you want about Mike M over at tos, but he gets the access he does because he doesn't write BS like this. He'll throw out a puff piece every now and again, but imo it's worth it. I know the staff isn't feeding stuff to the PS guys, but you know who they are feeding information...it's the guy who doesn't write 1 sided articles.
Agree 100% - I understand that its a hard balance to write positive articles on a team that won only 3 games last year but I notice that PS leans negative at any chance they can get.

Case in point, they hit on the fact that some athletes may not be able to take a class that conflicts with a practice schedule, but do they write about the kids that excel both academically and on the field? I have heard that Trudo has like a 3.0 GPA and he is a dual Economics & Political Science major. I studied Economics up thru Intermediate level and I know for a fact you cannot get thru that without at least a good understanding of Calculus. Plus the guy is one of our best O-lineman - sounds to me like one of the bright spots to write about, no?

Of course if you have ever read any of the comments readers write in response to the articles, you can see that the negativity is off the charts.

Gooorange said:
Agree 100% - I understand that its a hard balance to write positive articles on a team that won only 3 games last year but I notice that PS leans negative at any chance they can get. Case in point, they hit on the fact that some athletes may not be able to take a class that conflicts with a practice schedule, but do they write about the kids that excel both academically and on the field? I have heard that Trudo has like a 3.0 GPA and he is a dual Economics & Political Science major. I studied Economics up thru Intermediate level and I know for a fact you cannot get thru that without at least a good understanding of Calculus. Plus the guy is one of our best O-lineman - sounds to me like one of the bright spots to write about, no? Of course if you have ever read any of the comments readers write in response to the articles, you can see that the negativity is off the charts.

Follow the clicks.