So apparently Duke is allowed to throw elbows | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So apparently Duke is allowed to throw elbows

Jack White is one of my least favorite current college basketball players. Except when he plays against Syracuse, I like him then. Especially when he goes 0-11.

I think I see just traveling on Duke when Hurt fell across the lane after getting the rebound.

Am I wrong or do you think that you either have to call a foul on Hurt for elbows or the Florida State guy that was knocked down?

my point is that it is a "rule" that in my entire life I've never seen applied...I'm not implying it isn't an actual rule. It's just NEVER called. and it certainly wasn't appropriate in that situation where the FSU guy was in his own space. what's he supposed to do, run away from the Dukie?

Different sport but this reminds me of the socks penalties called vs. SU football in the 1998 game vs. Tennessee and $EC refs. Been watching CFB for 35 yrs and never seen that called before or after that day.

This foul call against Florida State seemed to be a make up call for the out of bounds play just prior. FSU defender standing out of bounds made contact with ball and Duke player. After official review, possession went to Florida State and should have been Duke ball.

my point is that it is a "rule" that in my entire life I've never seen applied...I'm not implying it isn't an actual rule. It's just NEVER called. and it certainly wasn't appropriate in that situation where the FSU guy was in his own space. what's he supposed to do, run away from the Dukie?
New rule. It's been called in us, this year, when we have been crowding a guy in a trap.
Carey also elbowed a guy, in the head, earlier in the game. It was incidental, but still.

When did that ever matter when the refs call one of our guys for doing the same thing?
Im not comparing our calls to Duke’s. The NCAA and the refs don’t do us any favors. Just look at the wins they took away from JB. Thats the biggest injustice ever from the NCAA.

The cylinder rule is a good rule. It stops defenders from crowding the ballhandler to the point that he can’t even turn to make a play without contacting the defender. Before the new-ish rules that severely penalize contact to the head, the alternative to the cylinder rule was just to elbow the heck out of the defender, who really has no business being in your face like that (crowding, itself, should be a foul). Basically, you tried to murder the guy so he wouldn’t crowd you again. Now that’s an ejection and probably a suspension, so the cylinder rule is a more civilized way to stop garbage defense from being rewarded.

All of that said, that cylinder call in the Duke game was atrocious. That’s not the correct application of the rule, obviously.
I agree, defense sucks. Nobody likes watching it. Let's get rid of charging while we're at it.

I agree, defense sucks. Nobody likes watching it. Let's get rid of charging while we're at it.

:confused:

You say you agree and then you say defense sucks. I like defense and didn't hint at the idea defense sucks.

So I'm confused. Are you confusing crowding the ballhandler with good defense?

New rule. It's been called in us, this year, when we have been crowding a guy in a trap.
Carey also elbowed a guy, in the head, earlier in the game. It was incidental, but still.
The most egregious pro-Carey (pro-Duke) call happened about 5 minutes in. Carey already had one foul , and he bumped an FSU player driving down the right alley. They blew the whistle, and called a walk on the FSU player. Viewing the replay, Bilas noted there was no walk, but might have been a foul. No might-have-been about it. Carey with 2 quick fouls probably affects that game greatly.

Despite all that, if Florida State had played with a bit more intelligence, they might have won.

:confused:

You say you agree and then you say defense sucks. I like defense and didn't hint at the idea defense sucks.

So I'm confused. Are you confusing crowding the ballhandler with good defense?
There's no such thing as good defense. Best defense is more buckets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom