So I deleted my thread about the jersey... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

So I deleted my thread about the jersey...

What is the real story behind Gross getting all these years to build such an incompetent operation? Was Cantor so indifferent towards it that he got to create his own world in the AD Dept? This guy is a complete buffoon and it was clear the moment he said "I'd like to Welcome Greg Ro...".

Whenever people get all pissy about the uniform talk, retiring 44 and other things people perceive as minor, it just shows a complete lack of understanding of what makes Syracuse unique in the north east. I hope the BoT or whomever speaks to the next AD, that there is a fundamental level of understanding and history of what makes this university, and the AD Dept, tick.

Slightly off topic, but if you go to Joe Giansante's Twitter account (@JoeGiansante), you will see the Syracuse University Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director (whatever that is) re-tweeting Marcus Mariota Heisman tweets and speaking about the Super Bowl like he is a 14-year old child. Not to mention horrible grammar and punctuation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you're an upper-level management official from a major Division I athletic department - and you are the "Chief Communications Officer" of said organization - wouldn't it be your primary goal to create an image of competence and promote the great things that the University that signs your paycheck would want to promote?

I understand Twitter is 140 characters or less and a lot of times grammar isn't taken into account, but for a CCO it absolutely should be.

He's an Oregon guy.

Can't spell Bouie but I bet you he wouldn't screw up Prefontaine...

what kind of careless bullsh!t are they doing when they know no one's watching?

The kind of stuff that ends with having to self-impose a one-year post-season ban.

Seriously, the lack of attention to detail for little things like a uniform retirement are clearly symptomatic of a much larger problem in attending to things like player eligibility. This entire Athletic Department is a clusterf$#k.

The kind of stuff that ends with having to self-impose a one-year post-season ban.

Seriously, the lack of attention to detail for little things like a uniform retirement are clearly symptomatic of a much larger problem in attending to things like player eligibility. This entire Athletic Department is a clusterf$#k.
I used to constantly tell my employees: "If you can't do the little things right, no one will trust you to do big things." And I handed out business cards that said "For want of a nail... a kingdom was lost." And if people didn't get it, they became former employees

Okay, here is my rant on the subject (since everything I said yesterday got deleted with Jake's post).. Up until a few years ago, Rob Edson was the #2 person in the department. In addition to being one of the nicest people on the planet, he was responsible for practically everything in that department... and did everything flawlessly.

Rob of course, was forced out ... as DG brought in a bunch of his own people... all from the West Coast. In the course of a few years, Rob had been replaced by FOUR people: Renee Baumgartner, Herm Frazier, Terry Donovan and Joe Giansante --- each of whom individually is paid more than Rob was.

The Bouie jersey disaster would not have happened with Rob here. But it happened with some combo of his four replacements. Perhaps the difference is that Rob knew and truly cared about the school and its athletes ... and doing his best job for them.

He (and Lael) ran off way too many other good people too. It's a shame. I normally don't root for people to get fired, but this is an exception. They have had it coming for a long time.

I used to constantly tell my employees: "If you can't do the little things right, no one will trust you to do big things." And I handed out business cards that said "For want of a nail... a kingdom was lost." And if people didn't get it, they became former employees

And bad management at the top will always lead to apathetic, disengaged employees who will be prone to more mistakes.

Preview

And bad management at the top will always lead to apathetic, disengaged employees who will be prone to more mistakes.
Bill Orange has met a number of my former employees. He can tell you they all say I was the best boss they ever had. A demanding boss is appreciated by competent people.

Last edited:
I don't post much but I can't sit on the sideline on this one. I'm absolutely disgusted by the Athletic Department on this issue- not just because it happened, but because (as so many others have pointed out) the complete lack of accountability in the response. I can only speak for myself, but SU's tradition matters to me. And I say this as someone who never saw Roosevelt Bouie play. It's infuriating to see such a flippant response to these traditions- whether it's this issue, the ED statue, or the casual disregard for our school colors in the football uniforms (sorry to open a can of worms).

Ultimately, our program and traditions belong to the University students, alumni, fans, players, and coaches- and not an athletic department that seems to willfully neglect the past. Someone needs to be held accountable.

Back to lurking...

Bill Orange has met a number of my former employees. He can tell you they all say I was the best boss they ever had. A demanding boss is appreciated by competent people.

And my cousin is a psychiatrist and has met the rest...:D

Aaamen, Aaamen, Aaamen, Amen, Amen.

Duh-duh-duh-dun

And that should just about end it...

If they didn't know couldn't they have at least asked JB who Rosie, and Louis were? If people in the AD aren't familiar with the schools athletic history, they shouldn't be there. That should be a requirement for the job.

or matrimony.
r-diner-30th-anniversary-large570.jpg

I loved the way he handled the blown officiating calls in that interview. If a coach criticizes a ref after a game, he is subject to a fine. JB did not actually criticize anyone. He just reminded people of what they saw. Perfect.

Honest question: If JB was your employee, would you still love that he seems to be poking a stick into the lion's cage by reminding people of what they saw? Not that I blame him, the calls were terrible, especially given the time and circumstance.

Is it anything more than chance that we seemingly have not had a meaningful call go our way since JB's undressing at Duke? I don't know. But, I would imagine that public "reminders" from JB won't help the situation.

Honest question: If JB was your employee, would you still love that he seems to be poking a stick into the lion's cage by reminding people of what they saw? Not that I blame him, the calls were terrible, especially given the time and circumstance.

Is it anything more than chance that we seemingly have not had a meaningful call go our way since JB's undressing at Duke? I don't know. But, I would imagine that public "reminders" from JB won't help the situation.
I won't speak for cto, but if he were my employee, when I was walking past him after the presser, this would be me:
jennifer-lawrence-oh-yeah-thumbs-up.gif

I am just stunned...speechless... Good for you CR for walking. The dumb staffer is probably still wandering the Dome looking for you. Can you share a pic of the ball sometime? I don't think I ever heard the heisman story either.
here ya go Az, better late than never......
image.jpg

image.jpg

and since SU doesn't want it and I've had it long enough, time for another SU fan to enjoy the thing (I will only move it to an SU connected person/fan, and given what transpired not the university). For anyone interested $3900 gets it, 1959 Syracuse National Championship team signed football including the first African American Heisman trophy winner, our boy Ernie Davis.

here ya go Az, better late than never...View attachment 37315
View attachment 37316

and since SU doesn't want it and I've had it long enough, time for another SU fan to enjoy the thing (I will only move it to an SU connected person/fan, and given what transpired not the university). For anyone interested $3900 gets it, 1959 Syracuse National Championship team signed football including the first African American Heisman trophy winner, our boy Ernie Davis.
That is awesome CR! Although your price should be 4400 I think...

How can that be authentic without a Nike Swoosh?

That is an awesome bit of SU history. It is a shame that the Athletic Department doesn't want the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom