So I deleted my thread about the jersey... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

So I deleted my thread about the jersey...

Cuseregular said:
long story short. Call several times, no return call at first. Call again, someone finally calls back. They say to come up at an appointed time. I show up. No one has any idea at the office they told me to go to. They figure out someone for me to see, me sitting there with my shiny little football in it's cushy display box. The person they have me see is very far down the chain and nice as all get out but flat out slow and incompetent. She brings me in her office which literally has no room on her desk for the ball. She says well lets go into the main central shared office area where theres a big central desk with tons of students working at computers with their food and drink strewn about. Having asked to see the ball she handles it, lets say no delicately, and then places it on the central table on top of pile of who knows what where it rolls off the who knows what, knocking over a (thankfully closed) soda bottle, narrowly missing a not so closed cup of coffee. I maintaining my best fake smile pick it up and place it back in the display case asking where they plan to display it. She tells me where in the hallway of Manley in the glass display case. I check it out and its ricketly and essentially unsafe where nearly anyone with intent could get in there (which explains and in my head ofwhy someone probably had no problem stealing the heisman years back). I then go back into the main central office, see she's not there and me, my case and my ball then make a quick exit right leaving the place as soon as I could. No call about it and the ball continues to sit in my man cave basement SU shrine.
I am just stunned...speechless... Good for you CR for walking. The dumb staffer is probably still wandering the Dome looking for you. Can you share a pic of the ball sometime? I don't think I ever heard the heisman story either.

long story short. Call several times, no return call at first. Call again, someone finally calls back. They say to come up at an appointed time. I show up. No one has any idea at the office they told me to go to. They figure out someone for me to see, me sitting there with my shiny little football in it's cushy display box.

The person they have me see is very far down the chain and nice as all get out but flat out slow and incompetent. She brings me in her office which literally has no room on her desk for the ball. She says well lets go into the main central shared office area where theres a big central desk with tons of students working at computers with their food and drink strewn about.

Having asked to see the ball she handles it, lets say not delicately, and then places it on the central table on top of pile of who knows what where it rolls off the who knows what, knocking over a (thankfully closed) soda bottle, narrowly missing a not so closed cup of coffee.

I maintaining my best fake smile pick it up and place it back in the display case asking where they plan to display it. She tells me where in the hallway of Manley in the glass display case. I check it out and its ricketly and essentially unsafe where nearly anyone with intent could get in there (which explains and in my head of as to how and why someone probably had no problem stealing the heisman years back).

I then go back into the main central office, see she's not there and me, my case and my ball then make a quick exit stage right leaving the place as soon as I could. No call about it and the ball continues to sit in my man cave basement SU shrine since.

I remembered the general idea of that story from when you first told it - but I forgot all those details. Holy crap - just ridiculous.

What a treasure - and they just have no idea.

Holy cow, this whole thread reads like a Kafka novel: "Who's in charge here?"

"Nobody!"

Last edited:
I am just stunned...speechless... Good for you CR for walking. The dumb staffer is probably still wandering the Dome looking for you. Can you share a pic of the ball sometime? I don't think I ever heard the heisman story either.
they thought it was a fake and tried to let cuseregular down gently - they couldn't find an Erny Davis sig anywhere on it

Okay, here is my rant on the subject (since everything I said yesterday got deleted with Jake's post).. Up until a few years ago, Rob Edson was the #2 person in the department. In addition to being one of the nicest people on the planet, he was responsible for practically everything in that department... and did everything flawlessly.

Rob of course, was forced out ... as DG brought in a bunch of his own people... all from the West Coast. In the course of a few years, Rob had been replaced by FOUR people: Renee Baumgartner, Herm Frazier, Terry Donovan and Joe Giansante --- each of whom individually is paid more than Rob was.

The Bouie jersey disaster would not have happened with Rob here. But it happened with some combo of his four replacements. Perhaps the difference is that Rob knew and truly cared about the school and its athletes ... and doing his best job for them.

Wow. Talk about a drop the mic and walk away post!

Let me add this in re Club 4 4: They need to either put bathrooms in the place or allow people who are already inside and have to leave to relieve to be able to come back in without having to wait on line. What happened was we entered, got 2 overpriced bottles of Stella and then my friend Nancy had to go to the bathroom. She left and then had to wait on line to get back in. After 15 minutes, I went to the door and called BS on this, as I saw some of the people named in CTO's post above just waltz right in without having to wait. Needless to say, she got back in right then, but then SHE got booed by all the people waiting in line that she jumped ahead of.

Millhouse said:
they thought it was a fake and tried to let cuseregular down gently - they couldn't find an Erny Davis sig anywhere on it
Staffer probably thought the heisman was life size replica of Davis and he couldn't have held a ball that big

having experienced this I'm not all that surprised by this latest issue. As for the ball I'll take some pics tonight (they vanished when I got a new ipad) and will post them later (complete with Erny Davids sig).

Last edited:
The whole SUAD needs to a good cleaning. Giasante came off horribly in his "apologize" interview. Still not sure what exactly he does? And how does Gross' wife have a top level job inside the same department? It's been a clown show for years up there. Time to clean house.

long story short. Call several times, no return call at first. Call again, someone finally calls back. They say to come up at an appointed time. I show up. No one has any idea at the office they told me to go to. They figure out someone for me to see, me sitting there with my shiny little football in it's cushy display box.

The person they have me see is very far down the chain and nice as all get out but flat out slow and incompetent. She brings me in her office which literally has no room on her desk for the ball. She says well lets go into the main central shared office area where theres a big central desk with tons of students working at computers with their food and drink strewn about.

Having asked to see the ball she handles it, lets say not delicately, and then places it on the central table on top of pile of who knows what where it rolls off the who knows what, knocking over a (thankfully closed) soda bottle, narrowly missing a not so closed cup of coffee.

I maintaining my best fake smile pick it up and place it back in the display case asking where they plan to display it. She tells me where in the hallway of Manley in the glass display case. I check it out and its ricketly and essentially unsafe where nearly anyone with intent could get in there (which explains and in my head of as to how and why someone probably had no problem stealing the heisman years back).

I then go back into the main central office, see she's not there and me, my case and my ball then make a quick exit stage right leaving the place as soon as I could. No call about it and the ball continues to sit in my man cave basement SU shrine since.
wow. thats Fn ridiculous.

if they didnt want it, just say so. dont pass you off down the flunky food chain.

we are banned from the tourny this year from what we hear are a bunch of little shlit that adds up to a mountain.

the bouie, statue, this and likely countless other non-public examples are proof that gross, his chippie and his band of merry-men need to go ASAP. there is likely a mountain of this stuff too.

collateral bonus will be a new football coach...but thats for a different thread...

The whole episode demonstrates yet again, a high level of incompetence and a real disregard for the school's image to say nothing of what it says to Rosie about his value to the program.

Everyone makes mistakes that's forgivable. What isn't forgivable is to have made the mistake and then to have not cared enough to check the work to see that there had been a mistake.

What's more, even if you assume complete incompetence, I refuse to believe that they didn't unwrap the thing and see the mistake until they were ready to hand it to Rosie. Someone knew that they had screwed up most likely well before the game began. That should have allowed enough time to decide to simply forego the public presentation of the framed jerseys. No one has to be the wiser. Discreetly tell Rosie and Louie that a mistake was made in Rosie's jersey and so as not to cause embarassment to the University we are going to unveil the jerseys in the rafters, shake your hands, but send you the framed jerseys to your homes next week. No one among the general public had to know. Instead we publicly present him the jersey with the wrong name on it hoping no one will notice or thinking no one will care. In my view it's the last part that is the firing offense, not the initial mistake itself.

Last edited:
it's not like bouie (GODDammmmit now they're going to make me start spelling it bowie) played here and vanished forever

he used to work on the broadcast very recently!

"...it wasn't something that you'd think would need to be looked at beforehand," Giansante said (as he attempts to cover his own ass). This guy is head of communications? Even if he believes that - you don't say sh**t like that if for no other reason than it makes you look like an a-hole, incompetent, or both. So I'm not sure what makes this guy more incompetent - having the fiasco happen or the manner in which he responded to it.

It's a flippant response by someone that clearly doesn't understand the importance of accountability.

Or the importance of Syracuse tradition (which I find equally as bad for some one in that kind of a position).
and the lack of the big picture is disturbing too.

we get that they dont care about insulting a legend and spitting on tradition, thats clearly evident.

but the fact that they managed to do this so openly is what i find so appalling.

its not like Siena misspelled Steve McCoy's name MacCoy, in front of 5k on a tuesday at the Knick, with the only video being the grainy 1990s scoreboard shot.

this was done in front of 20k + on a saturday afternoon in HD, with ESPN coverage!!!

enough is enough.

lets go bowling with some heads.

It's a flippant response by someone that clearly doesn't understand the importance of accountability.
OK. I used the flippant word in the deleted thread. You stole it, lol!!! It was definitely a flippant response.

OK. I used the flippant word in the deleted thread. You stole it, lol!!! It was definitely a flippant response.
Bring back the deleted thread. It was awesome!

Wow. Talk about a drop the mic and walk away post!

Let me add this in re Club 4 4: They need to either put bathrooms in the place or allow people who are already inside and have to leave to relieve to be able to come back in without having to wait on line. What happened was we entered, got 2 overpriced bottles of Stella and then my friend Nancy had to go to the bathroom. She left and then had to wait on line to get back in. After 15 minutes, I went to the door and called BS on this, as I saw some of the people named in CTO's post above just waltz right in without having to wait. Needless to say, she got back in right then, but then SHE got booed by all the people waiting in line that she jumped ahead of.

Eh, first world problem.

Amazing to hear this so clearly from CTO. Helps us all to understand some of the department problems and politics. What a shame such a fine person was treated that way. I never knew Rob, but did know him through so many of your comments.
As CTO also states it has so much to do with the tradition. And in my original deleted thread post I pointed out that I felt embarrassed as an alumni and a long time basketball fan.
Once again Louie and Bouie were the team that really jelled my already formed love of SU basketball. I had graduated in 1976 and moved to NYC in 1979 and it was my first time away from Manley and going to games all of the time, and I have a particular fondness for the excitement they bought to basketball at that time. I almost feel personally insulted by this mistake.

Amazing to hear this so clearly from CTO. Helps us all to understand some of the department problems and politics. What a shame such a fine person was treated that way. I never knew Rob, but did know him through so many of your comments.
As CTO also states it has so much to do with the tradition. And in my original deleted thread post I pointed out that I felt embarrassed as an alumni and a long time basketball fan.
Once again Louie and Bouie were the team that really jelled my already formed love of SU basketball. I had graduated in 1976 and moved to NYC in 1979 and it was my first time away from Manley and going to games all of the time, and I have a particular fondness for the excitement they bought to basketball at that time. I almost feel personally insulted by this mistake.
thats it in a nutshell right there.

you should.

i do.

Very few up there now has any sense of SU history. Most everyone here would have immediately known it was misspelled. Up there...not so much. Half of them never heard of Rosie.
Wouldn't you think that would be reason enough to both fact-check and double-check?

As an admin, I have access to it. It is indeed "awesome." Maybe it should be "pay per view," with all proceeds going to ...(fill in the blank).

With all proceeds going to a new jersey and frame for Rosie? Sign me up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom