So, if Mike Hopkins phone rings does he answer or send to VM? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So, if Mike Hopkins phone rings does he answer or send to VM?

Right now, the syracuse situation is totally different than the one he left just a couple of years ago. At that time, Hop was taking the job from his mentor. At that time, he was replacing a legend. Now, he is coming in on a white horse to save his school. Coming back isn't out of the question. It is a different ball game. On the other hand, I'm not sure Wildhack wants him. I sure hope he doesn't want G-mac
So basically this going to play out like UNC after Guthridge.
They wanted Roy to come home.
He wouldn’t leave Collison/Heinrich and so UNC hired Matt Dougherty who bombed out so Roy came home.
In this case Hop would initially say no and GMac gets the job. Flames out and Hop decides to be the white knight and come home?

I really don’t see Hop ever coming back.

So basically this going to play out like UNC after Guthridge.
They wanted Roy to come home.
He wouldn’t leave Collison/Heinrich and so UNC hired Matt Dougherty who bombed out so Roy came home.
In this case Hop would initially say no and GMac gets the job. Flames out and Hop decides to be the white knight and come home?

I really don’t see Hop ever coming back.
maybe he won't. But it is the type of thing you don't see until it happens

If Hop isn't the first phone call ADJW makes then I'm not sure who is number 1. If JB goes out on a better note then you can go with Autry, Griffen or GMAC but the stench of this slide is on them also.

Belein is too old... Does Pitino have a show cause? (I just threw up in my mouth)

Hop can come back at some point. Again, it's the PAC 12 and Seattle, he's at the end of the earth.

But getting the dad, coffee, and Pearl Jam fix is fun.
Seattle is literally one of the best cities in the country. With direct flights to Hawaii. What more could he need?

Seattle is literally one of the best cities in the country. With direct flights to Hawaii. What more could he need?
If I’m coaching in a time zone and conference no one cares about, I’m only doing that in SoCal.

Hopkins is from the west coast .. there is a tangible difference between west coasters and east coasters .. the wiring is different .. and yes .. Seattle and so cal people share that wiring despite the differences in climate / weather between the places

I hate to put it this way but I think as long as his dad is alive, he's not coming back East. And the longer he's away, the more likely he's not coming back ever. We had our shot at him and didn't take it. Not the end of the world. Lots of coaches can have success here post-Boeheim (largely thanks to Boeheim).

It's about where he can win NCAA games and a title.
And winning titles relates to Syracuse how? Hell, we can't even win an ACC tournament game.

Last edited:
Seattle is awesome city.
Plus the guy is building his own program and legacy out there.
I’m biased from living in the south. I think all northern cities are grey and horrible, except NYC.

Oh, I get all that, but the PAC 12 is the worst P5 conference in both major revenue sports and I need some ammo to irrationally talk myself into him coming back.

I can see that. But to imply that Syracuse is in the same league as Seattle is really just dumb.
Living-wise, definitely not. Agreed there.

It’s a way better basketball program in a massively better conference though.

Guess it just depends what matters to him, assuming we even reach out apparently.

I'm with alsacs on this. Except I don't agree Dougherty bombed out. Those were his players Roy won with.

If I'm hop, the ONLY way I come back is if JB retires so far away he can't possibly be involved.

I’m biased from living in the south. I think all northern cities are grey and horrible, except NYC.

Oh, I get all that, but the PAC 12 is the worst P5 conference in both major revenue sports and I need some ammo to irrationally talk myself into him coming back.
And the south is sweaty, gross, and racist.

And if you were going to college, PAC 12 would be among your top choices for your swiping needs

And the south is sweaty, gross, and racist.

And if you were going to college, PAC 12 would be among your top choices for your swiping needs
Haha.. I’m not trying swipe around in your weird hippie cities of Oregon and Washington. I’m basing this purely off Portlandia.

Now, ASU or USC...all day.

I hate to put it this way but I think as long as his dad is alive, he's not coming back East. And the longer he's away, the more likely he's not coming back ever. We had our shot at him and didn't take it. Not the end of the world. Lots of coaches can have success here post-Boeheim (largely thanks to Boeheim).

Agreed 100%. Just did the free trial of The Athletic to read his article.

1. Incredible (it's worth the free trial. Just cancel when you're done reading. Free 7 day subscription).
2. He's not coming back here under his current circumstances.

What is the argument for GMac? Loved him as a player but I do not get this at all. I’d probably dry heave for an hour if he was named next HC.

I've been wondering this same thing. GMac called in every favor he had from AAU coaches and relationships in the coaching community to try and get the Siena job and Siena said no. So he isn't good enough for Siena but we should hand him the keys to one of the best programs in the country?

And winning titles relates to Syracuse how? Hell, we can't even win an ACC tournament game.

We've been to more final fours in our down time than the Washington's of the world would ever see. Since 2000 three school outside of spitting distance of I95 won titles (UL, MSU, KU).

At the point when he left, there was literally 0% chance Hop would come back here. The press and everyone involved (JB, Hop himself) in the decision painted a rosy picture but let's just say that wasn't exactly accurate. A lot of things would have to change on the hill to get him to come back to SU. I'm not going to say it's impossible, but I don't think it's likely.

Personally I don't think it will be a good idea for the next coach to be part of the Boeheim lineage. He's not going to let go even after he's removed, so it is going to be really hard for anyone who came up in coaching under him. I really think we're going to need someone who can come in and ignore him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom