So I'm in Charlottesville working... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So I'm in Charlottesville working...

Hi there. UVA alum here :). I'll let you be in charge of which schools have the worst MBAs (FWIW, UVA's MBA program was ranked #2 in the world by the Economist last year) but you're a bit out of your depth with the architecture. The center of the college as designed by our third friggin president in 1819. I've been to a bunch of colleges and university's and none of them have a cooler architectural history than UVA. Of course, I was stuck in the biology building which was easily the worst building on campus. You have to be kidding me with Roanoke's architecture. It's not even close. And how is not being a northern or southern school a negative?
UVa is on my list of colleges to see in the future. I have been to Harvard, Penn, Princeton, UMd, Bucknell and Haverford, but for me the USMA is the best. The grandeur of the buildings, the Hudson river, the historical significance of the place all collectively, for me, surpasses all of the others. I think with the TJ connection, UVa would be right up there for me as well.

UVa is on my list of colleges to see in the future. I have been to Harvard, Penn, Princeton, UMd, Bucknell and Haverford, but for me the USMA is the best. The grandeur of the buildings, the Hudson river, the historical significance of the place all collectively, for me, surpasses all of the others. I think with the TJ connection, UVa would be right up there for me as well.
The problem with visiting West Point today is the security. When I joined the USMA Advisory Council 25 years ago, a visitor could drive in and tour the campus. Since 9/11, security has (understandably) gotten progressively tighter. It is still a magnificent institution, but it's a lot harder to visit. I assume they still have visitor tours that begin at the visitor center. That may be the only way to see the campus today.

The problem with visiting West Point today is the security. When I joined the USMA Advisory Council 25 years ago, a visitor could drive in and tour the campus. Since 9/11, security has (understandably) gotten progressively tighter. It is still a magnificent institution, but it's a lot harder to visit. I assume they still have visitor tours that begin at the visitor center. That may be the only way to see the campus today.
My visit was different. My son was selected to be part of their summer leadership program, so when we dropped him off/picked him up we were on campus and actually got a tour.

You can walk in from the Thayer, but they'll check ID and ask a few questions at the gate.

Still an incredible campus (though I'm partial to the one in Hamilton).

I'm biased as an alum, but I believe that Cornell University's campus is much more impressive / beautiful / impressive architecturally than most [all?] of the campuses being discussed. Spectacular campus, spectacular view from the hill.

Hi there. UVA alum here :). I'll let you be in charge of which schools have the worst MBAs (FWIW, UVA's MBA program was ranked #2 in the world by the Economist last year) but you're a bit out of your depth with the architecture. The center of the college as designed by our third friggin president in 1819. I've been to a bunch of colleges and university's and none of them have a cooler architectural history than UVA. Of course, I was stuck in the biology building which was easily the worst building on campus. You have to be kidding me with Roanoke's architecture. It's not even close. And how is not being a northern or southern school a negative?

Cabell Hall is a gem too in that campus.

I am currently in the process of building my retirement home in the golf course community of Spring Creek, just 15 minutes outside of C'Ville My son and his wife live in C'Ville.

I think it is a great town with a nice young college vibe and simply fantastic food. Love it!

I thought most MBA programs flog you with HBS case studies. Of course, what do I know.

I am currently in the process of building my retirement home in the golf course community of Spring Creek, just 15 minutes outside of C'Ville My son and his wife live in C'Ville.

I think it is a great town with a nice young college vibe and simply fantastic food. Love it!
Was a member at spring creek a few years back when the clubhouse was only a trailer. One of my favorite courses I've ever played. I hear they've spruced the place up even more. Also not sure if mentioned, the sandwich shop/gas station in ivy is amazing. Miss that area. Congrats on the retirement home!

All other things aside what's wrong with the case study method?
It's very backward looking, does not do a good job developing analytical rigor, they are written with the goal of leading students to one correct answer (not a good model for real world in that sense) and it's famous for producing management consultants - I find most management consultants are very good at writing reports full of questionable advice, and tend to be fairly bad at actually running businesses. a management consultant is the dean of UVAs mba program. I'm just biased against that approach to business and think it leads inevitably to mediocrity for the businesses that rely too heavily upon them. Just try talking to a consultant for an hour about a project and see if you come out having even half a clue what they are saying - it's all buzz words, acronyms, and aligning strategy to match industry peers.

Case studies are great for some topics but relying on them as the primary teaching method sells the students short in my opinion. Leads to too much 'group think'. Others would disagree.

I just find most grads I've met from there to be annoyingly preppy, very arrogant, and not nearly as impressive as they believe themselves to be. I'm sure you are none of those things :) just generalizing as someone who has interviewed and hung out with many kids from top schools around the country. On the architecture - I just really don't like that style at all. It reminds me of upper middle class cul de sac suburban homes built in second tier cities in the 60's and 70's - just bigger. I get that its historic and impressive to some I just don't personally like it. I agree with RF Cornell is more impressive to me as are a bunch of other schools I've visited (for example Chicago may be in the ghetto but it's buildings are way better imo).

Anyway I'm coming off like a d-head here so I will let it go :). It's good to be proud of where you went to college. That's why many of us are on this board. Sorry to bash your school !

I know only 2 UVa MBA grads. One is a really nice guy, down to earth. The other is a douche (he went to 'Nova undergrad). So with my small sample. 50% doucheiness

sorry to throw a negative take in here. But to me UVA is an obnoxious preppy school filled with kids who couldn't get in to Duke, Emory, or any elite northern school. That would all be fine if they weren't so douchey. They are neither truly southern nor northern. The MBA program (something I know a bit about) is like a poor mans Harvard - they replicate the case study teaching method (which is incredibly outmoded) but do so badly, yet the grads still tend to be more arrogant than guys from significantly better programs. As for the white columns and brick - far lesser institutions do a better job with that style (Roanoke comes to mind) and there is just nothing original architecturally about it. I just cant get behind UVA as any place to get excited about. Least favorite ACC member other than NC State. Sorry :). Each to his own.
giphy.gif

In 2006 my father and I coached in the Governor's Bowl, a high school football all star game between NJ and NY players. We had the opportunity to stay on campus for three days for practice and then the game. The campus is beautiful and the history is incredibly interesting. As a history buff just walking around campus after practice was soooo cool.

However, the thing I remember the most was the dorm room doors. First of all since honor is a huge part of the academy no dorm doors had locks. Secondly, they weighed about a ton and would slam INCREDIBLY loud. As it turns out part of the discipline for the cadets is them having to be on time and allow themselves time to slowly close the doors. If cadets allow their dorm door to slam they are punished.

I'm biased as an alum, but I believe that Cornell University's campus is much more impressive / beautiful / impressive architecturally than most [all?] of the campuses being discussed. Spectacular campus, spectacular view from the hill.

As a fellow Cornell grad, I agree. I love that campus.

SoBeCuse you should check out South Street Barrel Aged Imperial Satan's Pony.

SoBeCuse you should check out South Street Barrel Aged Imperial Satan's Pony.

Dude I did! In a flight. I went to South Street, Three Notch'd, Champion, Blue Mountain, and Devil's Backbone a few times! It's solid for sure but I've been all about saisons, sours, and goses this summer, partly because it has been so hot and humid. I just left CVille but it was like 95 and a sauna for the whole month I was here.