So it begins: bye bye, Randy Edsall | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

So it begins: bye bye, Randy Edsall

dasher said:
A number of posters lobbied for Randy as well.

That is true too including me. I think I wanted Golden 2nd.

That is true too including me. I think I wanted Golden 2nd.
I wasn't singling anyone out. Just that I can't stand Randy and am glad he isn't our coach and hope he never will be,

Ridiculous move in my opinion.

He is not the most likeable guy, but he can coach.

You have to give an established coach time especially at a school like MD.

OrangePA said:
If we had a vacancy I would still take him.

Hope they sell pina coladas on that island you're on...

19b27101de670c565e7b1311c0f3ea9e.jpg
Sweet Cameltoe!

Ridiculous move in my opinion.

He is not the most likeable guy, but he can coach.

You have to give an established coach time especially at a school like MD.

He took a nine win team and made them a two win team his first year. He has zero wins against top 25 teams, and he gets to recruit DMV.

Maryland Terrapins (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2011–2013)
2011 Maryland 2–10 1–7 6th (Atlantic)
2012 Maryland 4–8 2–6 5th (Atlantic)
2013 Maryland 7–6 3–5 5th (Atlantic) L Military
Maryland Terrapins (Big Ten Conference) (2014–present)
2014 Maryland 7–6 4–4 3rd (East) L Foster Farms
2015 Maryland 2–3 0–1 (East)

He's into his fifth season. How much more time should he get?

Edsall sold his soul for a recruiter as an OC, where his hand was probably forced. Kids probably hate Edsall and like Locksley, they will play hard for him going in but they still won't win any games. They will gut it at the end of the year. Locksley was great when he had an NFL RB, Juice at QB and an NFL WR. Other than that he has been beyond terrible for a number of years as a coach. Another great recruiter that has been and is promoted over his head. Edsall is a complete dinosaur, guys like him will continue to struggle in today's game, kids don't or won't listen to these old dinosaurs, they don't respond like they use to 20 years ago. Certain coaches get away with it because they win and win big but once things start to flatten they will stop listening and turn on a dime with these dinosaurs

Look how goofy RRod is these days at Arizona, do you actually think he would have done that stuff 15 years ago at WVU. F No.

Well, looks like the reports he's been fired were wrong:

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN
Maryland statement: “Randy Edsall is our head football coach & he'll be on the sidelines Saturday against Ohio State”

View attachment 52446 23m
Pat FordeVerified account‏@YahooForde
Y Sports can confirm earlier report that Maryland intends to fire Randy Edsall as its football coach. Timing TBD.

If I was Campbell I'd politely decline. That AD is amateur-hour.

Is there a former head coaches "where are they now" list?

Edsall sold his soul for a recruiter as an OC, where his hand was probably forced. Kids probably hate Edsall and like Locksley, they will play hard for him going in but they still won't win any games. They will gut it at the end of the year. Locksley was great when he had an NFL RB, Juice at QB and an NFL WR. Other than that he has been beyond terrible for a number of years as a coach. Another great recruiter that has been and is promoted over his head. Edsall is a complete dinosaur, guys like him will continue to struggle in today's game, kids don't or won't listen to these old dinosaurs, they don't respond like they use to 20 years ago. Certain coaches get away with it because they win and win big but once things start to flatten they will stop listening and turn on a dime with these dinosaurs

Look how goofy RRod is these days at Arizona, do you actually think he would have done that stuff 15 years ago at WVU. F No.
rrod is one of those guys who had a big innovation that was easy to copy once other coaches stopped being stupid. now that everyone's copied that, what's left for him.

edsall is one of those guys who is just ok, won't kill you, but you're never going to do anything special. and what fun is that? better to go out on a limb and go for something special even if it means in the end you end up worse off on average. i don't care about 5.5 vs 6 wins, give me somebody with any chance to get 11 wins.

it's a lot harder to hire coaches now that so much of this stuff is solved.

if you're a factory, get a defensive guy, recruit/pay like hell, play prostyle, prepare your #1 defense in practice

everywhere else, go with an air raid spread, an urban meyer power spread, or go 180 against the grain (wisconsin stanford georgia tech)

what does someone like edsall give you? boring somewhat competent no identity jackass. he'll end up like bob davie at some nowhere school. i can see him being an irascible d!ckhead talking head too

rrod is one of those guys who had a big innovation that was easy to copy once other coaches stopped being stupid. now that everyone's copied that, what's left for him.

edsall is one of those guys who is just ok, won't kill you, but you're never going to do anything special. and what fun is that? better to go out on a limb and go for something special even if it means in the end you end up worse off on average. i don't care about 5.5 vs 6 wins, give me somebody with any chance to get 11 wins.

it's a lot harder to hire coaches now that so much of this stuff is solved.

if you're a factory, get a defensive guy, recruit/pay like hell, play prostyle, prepare your #1 defense in practice

everywhere else, go with an air raid spread, an urban meyer power spread, or go 180 against the grain (wisconsin stanford georgia tech)

what does someone like edsall give you? boring somewhat competent no identity jackass. he'll end up like bob davie at some nowhere school. i can see him being an irascible d!ckhead talking head too
I would support Edsall and Herbstreit punching each other in the face every week.

He took a nine win team and made them a two win team his first year. He has zero wins against top 25 teams, and he gets to recruit DMV.

Maryland Terrapins (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2011–2013)
2011 Maryland 2–10 1–7 6th (Atlantic)
2012 Maryland 4–8 2–6 5th (Atlantic)
2013 Maryland 7–6 3–5 5th (Atlantic) L Military
Maryland Terrapins (Big Ten Conference) (2014–present)
2014 Maryland 7–6 4–4 3rd (East) L Foster Farms
2015 Maryland 2–3 0–1 (East)

He's into his fifth season. How much more time should he get?

I didn't agree with the decision to fire the Fridge don't get me wrong.

And it's true that RE does not have a great record at MD.

But he has won seven games the last two years and his teams play hard.

I was very impressed with what he was able to do at UConn.

I just happen to feel that he is a quality coach even though he is not a particularly friendly or personable man.

And, I would not make a change at this point in the season if I were the MD AD.

Isn't Maryland recruiting well? Maryland hasn't been half bad up until the last 3-4 games.

I mean, Maryland beat South Florida 35-17, and I'm sure we'd all take a win like that over USF on Saturday.

Just odd how quickly things have gone sour for Edsall and Maryland. I think they're going to be surprised to find out it's a tough place to win, particularly in a tough conference.

Ralph Friedgen got the team in trouble by practicing over the NCAA practice time limit. I'm guessing that contributed to the decision for letting Ralph go. James Franklin was also sorta "the head coach in waiting" back when that used to be cool thing to do, I can only imagine the things that must have gone on that maybe the AD was not comfortable with. So in short, I don't really blame UMd for showing Ralph the door, it just did not work out well with their next hire; Randy Edsall.

I didn't agree with the decision to fire the Fridge don't get me wrong.

And it's true that RE does not have a great record at MD.

But he has won seven games the last two years and his teams play hard.

I was very impressed with what he was able to do at UConn.

I just happen to feel that he is a quality coach even though he is not a particularly friendly or personable man.

And, I would not make a change at this point in the season if I were the MD AD.

Seven win seasons and a spot in the military bowl is exactly why they forced out Ralph Friedgen. And it's year five under Edsall, and they have bad losses to Michigan, WVU, and Bowling Green. They're clearly not going anywhere, so what's the point in keeping him around?

Though I would have kept the news under my hat until after the game against the number one team in the country.

Though I would have kept the news under my hat until after the game against the number one team in the country.
I absolutely guarantee they WANTED to keep it under their hat until after the game. There's absolutely no conceivable reason to let the news get out 2 days before playing Ohio State. I'm positive he'll be fired; they were just hoping to keep it quiet until Sunday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom