So it begins: bye bye, Randy Edsall | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

So it begins: bye bye, Randy Edsall

Should the Giants have stuck with Ray Perkins or Jim Fassel? ;)

In Fassel's defense TC said he was going to fix the injury bug that plagued the Giants, so...

I live in a market where the local pro football franchise flips coaches like burgers. They can never ever get anything going that way (thankfully).

Should the Pats have stuck with Pete Carroll? I think coach's are fired too quickly too often. However, it's not a lifetime job. And fresh voices are often needed.

They clearly need a massive cheater up there to win, and Carroll's brand of getting over worked better in the college game .;)

Edsall to Syracuse? Don't insult Coyle like that.

Randy Edsall is a Syracuse guy. He married a Syracuse University woman - a great athlete in her own right.

He coached for the Orange for a number of years and helped transform the Program under Coach Mac.

He is a protégé of a another great Syracuse guy - Tom Coughlin.

He works hard, plays by the rules and his kids go to class. He took a young UConn program and got to the Fiesta Bowl. His teams play hard.

I would hire him an in heartbeat.

Should the Giants have stuck with Ray Perkins or Jim Fassel? ;)

Ray Perkins left for the Alabama job - he was not fired.

I think the Giants probably should have stuck with Fassel who I believe took them to a Super Bowl?

Replacing a coach who has won sometimes does allow the team to progress - See Gruden the Bucs.

But most of the time the change does not seem to work.

Ray Perkins left for the Alabama job - he was not fired.

I think the Giants probably should have stuck with Fassel.

Should the Eagles have stuck with Ray Rhodes?

OrangePA said:
Randy Edsall is a Syracuse guy. He married a Syracuse University woman - a great athlete in her own right. He coached for the Orange for a number of years and helped transform the Program under Coach Mac. He is a protégé of a another great Syracuse guy - Tom Coughlin. He works hard, plays by the rules and his kids go to class. He took a young UConn program and got to the Fiesta Bowl. His teams play hard. I would hire him an in heartbeat.

If you want to stay mediocre to bad - that's the move.

Randy Edsall is a Syracuse guy. He married a Syracuse University woman - a great athlete in her own right.

He coached for the Orange for a number of years and helped transform the Program under Coach Mac.

He works hard, plays by the rules and his kids go to class. He took a young UConn program and got to the Fiesta Bowl. His teams play hard.

And he threw a tantrum when P got hired over him.

He failed at Maryland. Team's performance year over year degraded, they are playing at Grob levels right now.

Should the Eagles have stuck with Ray Rhodes?

Maybe.

Andy Reid's best players other than McNabb were mostly RR players - especially on defense.

John Harbough and Juan Castillo were mainstay holdover coaches during that time period.

Brian Dawkins and other RR guys led the successful Andy Reid teams.

So, maybe RR should have been kept around.

You can pick apart the observation all you want. Hindsight is 20-20.

The point is that patience is a virtue that is oftentimes overlooked in the sports business.

He failed at Maryland. Team's performance year over year degraded, they are playing at Grob levels right now.

And he's a dinosaur, he can't recruit and syracuse won't pay 7 figures for a coordinator that can. Edsall ship has past, thank god.

Of all the coach's in America and you would hire him in a heart beat. He was a minor player in the Syracuse rebuild. And who cares who he married? He had a chance to come here and he didn't take it. Oh, and he ran the score up on us when he had the chance. F him. He wouldn't be playing a weak schedule like he did at UConn. Name a real good team he beat there. He beat a 7-5 South Carolina team and a 6-6 Iowa St team. Wow. He was a disaster at Maryland. They fired him mid season. What does that tell you? One thing i know for sure, Randy isn't taking Syracuse to the next level. No thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yes, he was very upset when P was chosen. I can understand how he felt. He was a Syracuse guy. He played for the Orange. He had been part of the Program for years. He was the recruiting coordinator under Mac. P had only been there three years. So, I understand how he felt.

I can't say that he "failed" at MD.

I think he was restructuring the program in many ways. He improved academic performance and created greater player disciplinary rules, etc. He tightened up the program.

And he won some games - 14 wins in the last two seasons in the midst of the change from the ACC to the Big Ten.

He ran into a fundamental problem - a commitment to spend millions ($100 + millions?) on a practice facility and a bunch of impatient and very wealthy alums.

And he's not warm and fuzzy. He's all business. He's no Coach Mac that's for sure. And, he's not Shafe either.

I am loyal to Syracuse men. He's one of them.

And he's a dinosaur, he can't recruit and syracuse won't pay 7 figures for a coordinator that can. Edsall ship has past, thank god.

I haven't check it out, but a friend from Indiana told me the other day that Randy was recruiting a pretty good class for 2016.

I realize that my feelings about Randy are in the minority on this board. But many of my opinions about Syracuse Football are in the minority.

That's what makes the discussion interesting.

I haven't check it out, but a friend from Indiana told me the other day that Randy was recruiting a pretty good class for 2016.

I realize that my feelings about Randy are in the minority on this board. But many of my opinions about Syracuse Football are in the minority.

Locksley does the recruiting for randy and is paid handsomely to do it, issue is locksley can't coach

Yes, he was very upset when P was chosen. I can understand how he felt. He was a Syracuse guy. He played for the Orange. He had been part of the Program for years. He was the recruiting coordinator under Mac. P had only been there three years. So, I understand how he felt.

I can't say that he "failed" at MD.

I think he was restructuring the program in many ways. He improved academic performance and created greater player disciplinary rules, etc. He tightened up the program.

And he won some games - 14 wins in the last two seasons in the midst of the change from the ACC to the Big Ten.

He ran into a fundamental problem - a commitment to spend millions ($100 + millions?) on a practice facility and a bunch of impatient and very wealthy alums.

And he's not warm and fuzzy. He's all business. He's no Coach Mac that's for sure. And, he's not Shafe either.

I am loyal to Syracuse men. He's one of them.

He's an arsehole d bag who happens to be a Syracuse alumni. If he can't win at Maryland he certainly won't win here

Of all the coach's in America and you would hire him in a heart beat. He was a minor player in the Syracuse rebuild. And who cares who he married? He had a chance to come here and he didn't take it. Oh, and he ran the score up on us when he had the chance. F him. He wouldn't be playing a weak schedule like he did at UConn. Name a real good team he beat there. He beat a 7-5 South Carolina team and a 6-6 Iowa St team. Wow. He was a disaster at Maryland. They fired him mid season. What does that tell you? One thing i know for sure, Randy isn't taking Syracuse to the next level. No thanks.
[/QUOTE]

nailed it, I as a fan want no part of this guy

So?

He works hard, plays by the rules and his kids go to class.
But they don't win enough football games.

He took a young UConn program and got to the Fiesta Bowl.
And then he left them in an unprofessional and douchey manner.

His teams play hard.
When they start judging football teams by how hard they play, as opposed to wins and losses, then I will be interested in him.

To do what?

You are on a serious island with this one. Not only are you in the minority but you're about as far from civilization as you can possibly be.

Of all the coach's in America and you would hire him in a heart beat. He was a minor player in the Syracuse rebuild. And who cares who he married? He had a chance to come here and he didn't take it. Oh, and he ran the score up on us when he had the chance. F him. He wouldn't be playing a weak schedule like he did at UConn. Name a real good team he beat there. He beat a 7-5 South Carolina team and a 6-6 Iowa St team. Wow. He was a disaster at Maryland. They fired him mid season. What does that tell you? One thing i know for sure, Randy isn't taking Syracuse to the next level. No thanks.
I get that people don't like him but saying he didn't beat anyone at UConn is ridiculous. They went from 1aa to a BCS bowl in like 10 years and he's 6-3 against us. A lot of the former players that played when he was here in the 80s and the people that still work here from that time still think very highly of him. Will he get the job if it opens? Most likely he won't even be a candidate, but don't be surprised if his name gets thrown around. He recruited a lot of great players here back in the day and was a part, with a lot of other people why we were so good. Say what you want about the guy but he still has a lot of respect for this place and that's based off what he said last year when they beat us. It's hard to trash one of our own like some do on this board.

Last edited:

as an assistant or coordinator

You are on a serious island with this one. Not only are you in the minority but you're about as far from civilization as you can possibly be.
edsal has a serious recruiting class. i would hire him as an assistant or coordinator. he would be a tremendous asset to us. as for far from civilization, i live on the same planet as orange pa. its a good place, with thoughtful consideration, a lot of oxygen and plant life, and good natured discussions and intelligent disagreements.

edsal has a serious recruiting class. i would hire him as an assistant or coordinator. he would be a tremendous asset to us. as for far from civilization, i live on the same planet as orange pa. its a good place, with thoughtful consideration, a lot of oxygen and plant life, and good natured discussions and intelligent disagreements.
that island still lives in the 1980's like the soldier that was still fighting on the islands long after ww2 was over. Randy wasn't a coordinator here or with Coughlin. No thanks.

If he did come to SU, he wouldn't be like Coach Mac, but I'm sure you would win more games per year than your average for the past decade. But no one here would be happy about that "progress".

I think Randy would do better in a place with lower expectations and less media than MD. Personally, I think he would terrific in a place like Buffalo, or UMass or BC.

If he did come to SU, he wouldn't be like Coach Mac, but I'm sure you would win more games per year than your average for the past decade. But no one here would be happy about that "progress".

I think Randy would do better in a place with lower expectations and less media than MD. Personally, I think he would terrific in a place like Buffalo, or UMass or BC.
BC already has a coach. Would you want him back right now?

Cheriehoop said:
Hey be honest, you saw the 70's, you just don't remember them. :)
no syracuse in my neck of the woods then!

BC already has a coach. Would you want him back right now?

No. I liked Edsell but I think he would max out at 9 wins and a top 30 ranking and win 6 or 7 most years.

Diaco is an unknown but I think his ceiling is higher. I expect to beat USF this week and be in solid bowl contention with a team of dominated by sophomores. I think we will be in contention for an AAC championship in a year or two. That's a top 15 team.

He can definitely recruit, get the players focused and playing hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom