So much fun | Syracusefan.com

So much fun

Not that this needs to be rehashed, but I think it should be put out there as the disappointing seasons pile up. Seeds for the last 5 years in the NCAA tournament:

2015 - Didn't make the tournament (self-imposed ban, but we weren't making it anyway)
2016 - 10 seed
2017 - Missed tournament
2018 - 11 seed play-in game
2019 - 10 seed

That's 5 straight pathetic regular seasons. Year after year everything remains the same.

Not that this needs to be rehashed, but I think it should be put out there as the disappointing seasons pile up. Seeds for the last 5 years in the NCAA tournament:

2015 - Didn't make the tournament (self-imposed ban, but we weren't making it anyway)
2016 - 10 seed
2017 - Missed tournament
2019 - 10 seed

That's 5 straight pathetic regular seasons. Year after year everything remains the same.
We weren’t a 10 seed last year.

that year in and year out, our best case scenario is barely making the tournament and losing first round/in the play-in game.

I guess I’d argue that the key is getting there with a chance to make a run but there’s no debating it’s been a disappointing run. But do they fire/force retirement for the guy with 1000+ wins? That’s a tough spot.

I guess I’d argue that the key is getting there with a chance to make a run but there’s no debating it’s been a disappointing run. But do they fire/force retirement for the guy with 1000+ wins? That’s a tough spot.

Probably not, and I've been a Boeheim defender. I'd assume he's here for at least 2 more seasons.

Probably not, and I've been a Boeheim defender. I'd assume he's here for at least 2 more seasons.
I just think the reality is it’s a really tough spot for an athletics department. I also really hope we nail the next hire.

that year in and year out, our best case scenario is barely making the tournament and losing first round/in the play-in game.

True.

But we can’t change coaches and not only that our best player is the coaches kid. He’s the only recruit of recent to not be a disappointment (exclude JG3 who had 40 minutes a night at the 1 which isn’t his position thrust on him) the other guys have SUKED VALLS.

Maybe we play some D hit some 3s and make the dance and get an upset.

I just think the reality is it’s a really tough spot for an athletics department. I also really hope we nail the next hire.
If there’s any chance of getting hop I’d want to time Jimmy's departure to maximize those odds... whether that means 0 or 1 more year or 2 I don’t know.

2016 - 10 seed
2017 - Missed tournament
2019 - 10 seed

I don’t think pathetic means what you think it does. We’re not entitled to anything.
Everyone is disappointed, but this is crazy talk.

I don’t think pathetic means what you think it does. We’re not entitled to anything.

For a fanbase that loves to look down on so many other programs, it's very pathetic. We've gone from a perennial top 5 seed to a team that slogs through the regular season and squeaks into the tournament, partly because there is nobody else worth putting in over us. I recognize that it could absolutely be worse, but these past 5 years have still been more or less unacceptable.

The longer it goes like this, the more normalized it is for us to be bubblicious. 'The kids today' have no concept of what it was like when we were a top 5 team, when we signed top 5 high schoolers. When we used to be a 'showtime' team that appealed to kids from coast to coast. When we headlined the best basketball conference. We are now as irrelevant as Maryland, who won their championship only the year before us. But, with our orange-lensed optics, we still think we are what we were, just on an 'average streak.' But, that's not so. We are—at best—bordering on irrelevant except for the novelty of our defensive scheme.

The longer it goes like this, the more normalized it is for us to be bubblicious. 'The kids today' have no concept of what it was like when we were a top 5 team, when we signed top 5 high schoolers. When we used to be a 'showtime' team that appealed to kids from coast to coast. When we headlined the best basketball conference. We are now as irrelevant as Maryland, who won their championship only the year before us. But, with our orange-lensed optics, we still think we are what we were, just on an 'average streak.' But, that's not so. We are—at best—bordering on irrelevant except for the novelty of our defensive scheme.
Do you mean the Maryland team that is currently ranked 5th in the country?

You're right, we're not entitled to anything. But it is reasonable to expect someone that established a program to maintain the high standard he set. There are all kinds of numbers to indicate we are not the program we once were. It used to be that being a 5 seed was a bad year. Now so many on here are satisfied if we can just squeek in as a bubble team with a chance to make a run. There are either a lot of youngsters on here that have no clue how good we used to be or a lot of strong orange colored glasses being worn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom