So our offense...what changed? | Syracusefan.com

So our offense...what changed?

OrangeDW

Living Legend
Did Boeheim suddenly remember how to run things better than the local high school JV coaches can?

Or did we get players who could shoot, pass, and dribble, that are capable of executing something beyond “pass it to Battle and pray”?

Just wondering.

I'm optimistic about the offense, too. Having said that, it's only been five games. And to your point about getting better players...that doesn't necessarily exonerate JB since he is, after all, in charge of getting the players.

I'm optimistic about the offense, too. Having said that, it's only been five games. And to your point about getting better players...that doesn't necessarily exonerate JB since he is, after all, in charge of getting the players.

Im not even talking about stats. I’m talking about what we run and what we attempt to do offensively.

We have a high level point guard in Kadary

Guerrier, Marek and Griffin grab boards on the O

Multiple players looking to start transition

Guerrier, Girard, Woody, Buddy, Kadary and Griff can all hit threes at a formidable clip

Guerrier and Griff cut to the hoop for back door and baseline dunks like Grant used to with Ennis

Marek allows us to play a good high low offense too that forces the D to consider whos open in the post and our 2 or 3 killers on the perimeter

Its fantastic

I don’t know if we’ve been able to spread defenselike this since ‘14

I don’t see us running high ball screens the entire game with non threatening players at the moment. Makes so much more sense to do with Marek and Quincy can’t even begin to emphasize it enough. Will see what happens when Sidibe is back.

We have a high level point guard in Kadary

Guerrier, Marek and Griffin grab boards on the O

Multiple players looking to start transition

Guerrier, Girard, Woody, Buddy, Kadary and Griff can all hit threes at a formidable clip

Guerrier and Griff cut to the hoop for back door and baseline dunks like Grant used to with Ennis

I don’t know if we’ve been able to spread defense like this since ‘14

Yes. Nice to have multiple threats and some balance again.

We lack guys who can break you down off the dribble.

And we still don’t have a guy who you can pass it to on the low blocks. I was watching some of Illinois-Missouri and both teams had a guy they were posting up and feeding on the block.

But our offensive skill level in terms of what the players can do is a lot higher than it was a couple years ago. And we’re seeing a lot more of the things people wanted to see a few years ago...because we’ve got guys who can execute those things.

Nice having two outstanding passers in Marek and Kadary, plus several others who are adequate.

The game was evolved to the point where there has to be some success shooting treys. We now have plenty of guys who can make treys. If we have at least three of them making 35% + a game, we will be able to score adequately. I think amongst our first seven that Joe, Buddy, Newton, Quincy, and Alan are serious trey threats Marek can make one once in awhile and Kadary's three point shooting is a bit of an unknown. If he can get to the point of making 1 or 2 a game that would help even more.

Yes. Nice to have multiple threats and some balance again.

We lack guys who can break you down off the dribble.

And we still don’t have a guy who you can pass it to on the low blocks. I was watching some of Illinois-Missouri and both teams had a guy they were posting up and feeding on the block.

But our offensive skill level in terms of what the players can do is a lot higher than it was a couple years ago. And we’re seeing a lot more of the things people wanted to see a few years ago...because we’ve got guys who can execute those things.

Nice having two outstanding passers in Marek and Kadary, plus several others who are adequate.
Yeah, besides Kadary I don’t see anyone who could take their man off the dribble. This group may be able to get away with that though. With our athleticism and length (with Bourama back especially), the rock doesn’t need to be pounded against the hardwood as much.

Keep passing and moving. Guerrier and Griff move without the ball far better than Oshae and others used to. They aren’t glued to the perimeter.

Honestly, I think it comes down to recognizing our forwards basketball IQ and motors right now. They’re all over the place, in a good way.

Yeah, besides Kadary I don’t see anyone who could take their man off the dribble. This group may be able to get away with that though. With our athleticism and length (with Bourama back especially), the rock doesn’t need to be pounded against the hardwood as much.

Keep passing and moving. Guerrier and Griff move without the ball far better than Oshae and others used to. They aren’t glued to the perimeter.

Honestly, I think it comes down to recognizing our forwards basketball IQ and motors right now. They’re all over the place, in a good way.
Wow, I think Alan, Quincy, and marek can all take their man off the dribble. Buddy also showed some moves getting to the glass off the bounce. Now are any of these guys the greatest at that......no, but any or all can take advantage if they get a step or have a favorable matchup. Also, Newton has shown good ability to flash to the hoop on cuts, next year he, too, will take guys off the bounce as well.

Wow, I think Alan, Quincy, and marek can all take their man off the dribble. Buddy also showed some moves getting to the glass off the bounce. Now are any of these guys the greatest at that...no, but any or all can take advantage if they get a step or have a favorable matchup. Also, Newton has shown good ability to flash to the hoop on cuts, next year he, too, will take guys off the bounce as well.

Buddy can take advantage of guys closing out, off good ball movement. He’s such a threat from 3, that when someone is desperately closing out on him, Buddy can go by them and has gotten better at finishing.

And yeah, good point - our front court guys can often go by their guy. Marek and Quincy’s versatility at the 5 and 4 is huge for us and probably helps offset the lack of a guard like a Devo or Flynn type penetrator. And the shooting threats we have open things up too.

Wow, I think Alan, Quincy, and marek can all take their man off the dribble. Buddy also showed some moves getting to the glass off the bounce. Now are any of these guys the greatest at that...no, but any or all can take advantage if they get a step or have a favorable matchup. Also, Newton has shown good ability to flash to the hoop on cuts, next year he, too, will take guys off the bounce as well.
I wasn’t insulting them by saying that, I just don’t think it’s their game. Griff dribbled himself into trouble multiple times against BC and Rutgers. Q’s competent to dribble/bring up the ball breaking the press but breaking down his man in iso isn’t his game either. Marek’s got the same spin move that either works or doesn’t.

Our forwards are better served moving to get open without the ball or hitting the next open player. We don’t need Tyus and Frank iso play

Did Boeheim suddenly remember how to run things better than the local high school JV coaches can?

Or did we get players who could shoot, pass, and dribble, that are capable of executing something beyond “pass it to Battle and pray”?

Just wondering.

Our personnel then was better suited to isolation ball, which people hate and has gained a bad reputation.

That kind of offense can't win at the highest level of basketball anymore, meaning it wont get you an NBA championship, but its still a legit offense that has a place in the NBA and can win games in college.

This has nothing to do with anything, but I see a lot of people talk about how terrible iso ball and then turn around and say Jordan was the best basketball player ever, which is weird because iso ball was his bread and butter.

Have to give BC some credit, for what we saw.

As much as Kadary is promising, the real explosion on offense came with Joe and Buddy from the outside, Marek moving the ball quickly, QG finishing inside against little defense, and Griffin getting outside looks as well. When Joe hits from range, this team is dangerous.

As JB says, the game is easy when you make shots. And when the defense isn’t very good.

quick story- I was back in Cuse years back and attended the Iowa football game. My wife and I left with a few minutes to go and ran into to JB and Juli. A half buzzed me said hello and also said " jeez why fire PP if this is the best we can get" or something like that. JB paused and said "coaches are nothing with out good players"
Not earth shattering but relevant

quick story- I was back in Cuse years back and attended the Iowa football game. My wife and I left with a few minutes to go and ran into to JB and Juli. A half buzzed me said hello and also said " jeez why fire PP if this is the best we can get" or something like that. JB paused and said "coaches are nothing with out good players" Not earth shattering but relevant
of course, but coaching is endogenous to player quality.

Just wondering.

It was one game, against a now 1-5 opponent. And, it was marvelous. However, I align with the premise that you're not as good as your most lopsided win, or as bad on the flip side. Therefore, I'll continue to see how the season progresses, how we fair against quality opponents, etc., before assessing a view I'm comfortable in positioning myself with.

It was one game, against a now 1-5 opponent. And, it was marvelous. However, I align with the premise that you're not as good as your most lopsided win, or as bad on the flip side. Therefore, I'll continue to see how the season progresses, how we fair against quality opponents, etc., before assessing a view I'm comfortable in positioning myself with.

Right, but I’m not talking about one game. I’m talking about every game. Even in the Rutgers game where we struggled against a really good defensive team, took some bad shots, were missing our best shooter...we still scored 69 and got a number of layups off ball movement and great passes, cuts, etc.

2 years ago we wouldn’t have cracked 50 points in a game like that, and would’ve gotten nothing but heavily contested jumpers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom