So, total rebuild? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So, total rebuild?

CousCuse said:
What up and coming young coach would want to come to Syracuse to have his career derailed by a delusional fanbase. I hear a lot of people want a fast paced offense , well , it would take 2-4 years to get the athletes to make that work. In the mean time big fast ACC defenses will destroy them and put the SU defense in dire straights all the time. Can people who advocate for this accept numerous blow outs .

All of them would. They are confident in what they are doing and we'll give them at least 2 million reasons per year.

This is a terrible post. Especially since we are experiencing one sided games already. And also because you seem to be insinuating that we are the only team with a delusional fanbase. They all are.

OttoinGrotto said:
I agree. I listed the subject line as such though to gauge how in to the idea of it people are if that's what we're talking about. It seems like at least on this message board people are up for it. I think a new staff, if they're the right kind of staff, can get a better record out of the same talent than this staff has.

I think it's best to think of it as a rebuild and be surprised - than to heap a bunch of expectations on. There are enough inherent expectations as it is

All of them would. They are confident in what they are doing and we'll give them at least 2 million reasons per year.

This is a terrible post. Especially since we are experiencing one sided games already. And also because you seem to be insinuating that we are the only team with a delusional fanbase. They all are.
Whoever the coach is will need a lot of support and patience , something that SU football fans don't seem to have. It is unfair to compare the football program to SU basketball , SU lacrosse , the Yankees , the Giants or the Patriots or even its own past.

I think it's best to think of it as a rebuild and be surprised - than to heap a bunch of expectations on. There are enough inherent expectations as it is
Eh. I'm not exactly heaping a bunch of expectations on. If we get a coach that has shown they can run a good offense, I expect them to run a good offense. I imagine they'd have the same expectation.

CousCuse said:
Whoever the coach is will need a lot of support and patience , something that SU football fans don't seem to have. It is unfair to compare the football program to SU basketball , SU lacrosse , the Yankees , the Giants or the Patriots or even its own past.

How much more patience are we expected to have?

16 years of mostly horrible football.

People were frustrated with Marrone but the fans never turned on him. Even gerg had the fans for the most part until the Miami of Ohio loss. I think that's when we realized it just wasn't going to happen.

We are incredibly patient.

Who and how is football betting compared to SU basketball and lax?

Your point about the "delusions" of the fan base and lack of patience makes about as much sense as your use of commas. J/K

But seriously, the fan base has endured, with 3 exceptions in the past 16 years, some of the worse football in the history of the program. Since the onset of the P5, only 2 programs have not been ranked in the Top 25. One is Indiana, and they are now leaps and bounds above us as a program. Guess who the only other program is?

If nothing else, this fan base has "earned" the right to call out the lack of success on the field. We need to change the culture and the national perception of the program. And that needs to start happening NOW.

How much more patience are we expected to have?

16 years of mostly horrible football.

People were frustrated with Marrone but the fans never turned on him. Even gerg had the fans for the most part until the Miami of Ohio loss. I think that's when we realized it just wasn't going to happen.

We are incredibly patient.
Your point about the "delusions" of the fan base and lack of patience makes about as much sense as your use of commas. J/K

But seriously, the fan base has endured, with 3 exceptions in the past 16 years, some of the worse football in the history of the program. Since the onset of the P5, only 2 programs have not been ranked in the Top 25. One is Indiana, and they are now leaps and bounds above us as a program. Guess who the only other program is?

If nothing else, this fan base has "earned" the right to call out the lack of success on the field. We need to change the culture and the national perception of the program. And that needs to start happening NOW.
Impatience? The vast majority fans would have been thrilled with 6-6 this year. This is after a 3-9 season.
Nobody is going to our games anymore. There's no more patience on the part of the fan to be lost.

Who and how is football betting compared to SU basketball and lax?
Just the expectations . I will support who ever is the coach there , until he is no longer the coach. I'm just a fan .

OttoinGrotto said:
Eh. I'm not exactly heaping a bunch of expectations on. If we get a coach that has shown they can run a good offense, I expect them to run a good offense. I imagine they'd have the same expectation.

Day 1? Not me. I'd expect steady growth on both sides of the ball relative to the opponent.

Day 1? Not me. I'd expect steady growth on both sides of the ball relative to the opponent.
Yes, day one. Look around at the teams that have good offensive coaches. Their offenses are good immediately.

Just the expectations . I will support who ever is the coach there , until he is no longer the coach. I'm just a fan .

I don't think there's a single fan here who has expectations of football on the level of basketball, let alone lacrosse.

I mean I expect basketball to be a top 25 team annually. I'd be happy at this point with one ranked football team this decade.

Expectations! Expectations! We're talking expectations?

Fact. We've paid every coach market value based upon their experience.

Fact. We've offered $2m+ to two other coaches who turned it down. So we were willing to pay more.

Fact. If you think we should be one of those schools who pay $4-5m per year, then dig deep. Boosters often pay a big share of that. Even buy outs are many times paid by boosters.

It's too easy to use a broad brush and just say SU is cheap. Each department has a budget, it's not just an open checkbook.
Fact. We have chosen inexperienced HCs in our last 3 hirings.

Fact. These hirings cost less than other hirings.

Fact. Our coaching staffes beyond HC have been underpaid.

I am sure the school would pay more if the coach commanded it but how about not hiring the cheaper candidate and spend more on an established name.

The SS hire was a poor hire. It was cheap hire. Gross didn't keep the job open 48 hours before hiring SS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom