So @Wake is now a must win | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So @Wake is now a must win

Not really too soon to state it. Winning at Wake is now an absolute must if we have any hope of making the Dance.
Even winning that I’m not sure the path without other wins that I’m not sure we’re capable of competing with. Even if we split with Clemson I don’t see how we beat UNC and after the last two losses those three games are the least of our worries.

I know some like Bell, but we really need another dimension on the wing. If your shot isn’t falling you need to find other ways to score and contribute. I really think that’s what’s hamstringing us more than anything. The forward position is the biggest mess it’s ever been.
There's no question that the limitations on Bell's game are a problem.

I'm curious if there's maybe a really negative cycle with that given so many of his minutes are played in combo with Taylor.

Again, I feel like it looks like I'm always piling on Taylor, but in games where Taylor gives us nothing, and that's not making the game easier for the rest of the lineup, do other players have better results without those minutes?

Come to think of it... anyone have access to any of those lineup efficiencies websites? I'm really curious what the splits and lineups look like that. I think our guy feeling is our best lineup includes Judah, JJ, Quadir, Maliq and one of Benny or Bell, but I wonder if the stats back that up.

I think Red felt he probably owed these guys to have one season to play under him. My hope is that 3-5 guys transfer out and I think we know SF, C, and probably PG are the three critical spots.
Would agree there's some truth to how Red put together this roster was a combination of loyalty & necessary retention (hard to turn over an entire roster) along with expected growth that, as others have stated, hasn't panned out for a variety of guys.

We knew there'd be roadbumps, and the standings reflect many pre-season projections. This offseason will tell us everything we need to know about Red's roster-building and views on his vision for the future of the program. He knows time isn't necessarily on his side.

There's no question that the limitations on Bell's game are a problem.

I'm curious if there's maybe a really negative cycle with that given so many of his minutes are played in combo with Taylor.

Again, I feel like it looks like I'm always piling on Taylor, but in games where Taylor gives us nothing, and that's not making the game easier for the rest of the lineup, do other players have better results without those minutes?

Come to think of it... anyone have access to any of those lineup efficiencies websites? I'm really curious what the splits and lineups look like that. I think our guy feeling is our best lineup includes Judah, JJ, Quadir, Maliq and one of Benny or Bell, but I wonder if the stats back that up.
You have pulled me to the dark side on Taylor, for the most part. Where I’ll push back is piling Bells issues onto being with Taylor at the same time. We don’t have many lost possessions due to Taylor. He’s too scared to take any shot, let alone a bad shot. All he really does is pass the ball almost as soon as he gets it. I don’t see many turnovers from him either, but I haven’t seen all the games or checked the stats.

Bell definitely gives us lost possessions with early shots that don’t hit. He also loses the ball more frequently in my mind.

And no, I’m not calling for more JT time.

You have pulled me to the dark side on Taylor, for the most part. Where I’ll push back is piling Bells issues onto being with Taylor at the same time. We don’t have many lost possessions due to Taylor. He’s too scared to take any shot, let alone a bad shot. All he really does is pass the ball almost as soon as he gets it. I don’t see many turnovers from him either, but I haven’t seen all the games or checked the stats.

Bell definitely gives us lost possessions with early shots that don’t hit. He also loses the ball more frequently in my mind.

And no, I’m not calling for more JT time.
Oh to be clear, I'm not excusing when Bell's crappy. Just openly wondering how measurable the net effect is for everyone when we say we have a zero production player on offense.

Brown front rimed 2, and then Judah did the same.
At times last night I started to think possibly the basket was off a bit? Not sure that is even something that can happen but so many of our players were all around the rim with out going in? It was absolutely puzzling let alone frustrating as hell!

I think Taylor stinks more than Benny and both more than Bell, but none of them are Forwards that should be playing this many minutes for Syracuse IMO.

I went back and forth with Bell, but I’m not sure what else he gives us besides shooting and I don’t know how much he will improve as he appears to have the worst motor on the team.

Anyway best lineup plus/minus wise is with Copeland on the court for Bell with the rest of the starters. Our second best lineup plus/minus is Benny in for Taylor with the starters.

Both of those lineups have a better plus/minus than Cope and Benny together.

Also playing Copeland at the point with him the starters seems to be a decent lineup.

Our worst lineup on the season was the original starters with McLeod. McLeod really did not help us at all when he was healthy.

Long story short it doesn’t appear our net efficiency improves at all when Taylor is off the court. His individual stats are awful, but our team stats with him on the court have been decent overall. Maybe it’s because he’s a slight plus defensively?

Anyway it’s all here for people to research.

Anyway best lineup plus/minus wise is with Copeland on the court for Bell with the rest of the starters. Our second best lineup plus/minus is Benny in for Taylor with the starters.
Doesn't surprise me at all.

Q and Brown play their 2 man game. JJ and Judah slash off that. Bell/Taylor gets wide open 3s. On D, Q and Brown poke the ball away enough to cover for the otherwise wide open looks I'm sure the lineup gives up. Especially inside. Not to mention the rebounds...but still...its not like we have some defensive stopper on the bench.

I have 0 clue why its not our starting lineup and should be used to end games as well.

Doesn't surprise me at all.

Q and Brown play their 2 man game. JJ and Judah slash off that. Bell gets wide open 3s. On D, Q and Brown poke the ball away enough to cover for the otherwise wide open looks I'm sure the lineup gives up. Especially inside. Not to mention the rebounds...but still...its not like we have some defensive stopper on the bench.

I have 0 clue why its not our starting lineup and should be used to end games as well.
Having Copeland in the game for anyone outside of Maliq is a net positive for the team. That includes Judah.

I don't know how much we tag can these guys with underachievers. They don't have the benefit of one sr or really a jr , sorry Benny, that they can look to for leadership and ability. Now, you want to blame Red for some of that, okay. I rather think the blame lies elsewhere. That is reality as well.
So why didn’t red bring in a senior or Junior leader? Who else would the blame lie with? The previous head coach who has zero impact on the portal this past offseason? Red had tons of minutes to dole out at forward because the current forward roster is not driving any value and that was apparent last year.

Having Copeland in the game for anyone outside of Maliq is a net positive for the team. That includes Judah.
This was the specific play I remember watching and thinking THIS is what the offense should be based around. It was actually BENNY in the game at the time, but point remains. Look at all the space JJ and Judah had to maneuver.

At times last night I started to think possibly the basket was off a bit? Not sure that is even something that can happen but so many of our players were all around the rim with out going in? It was absolutely puzzling let alone frustrating as hell!
Q didn't have a problem making 2 free throws right after, Brown, and Judah couldn't get it over the front rim 4 times.

I think Taylor stinks more than Benny and both more than Bell, but none of them are Forwards that should be playing this many minutes for Syracuse IMO.

I went back and forth with Bell, but I’m not sure what else he gives us besides shooting and I don’t know how much he will improve as he appears to have the worst motor on the team.

Both of those lineups have a better plus/minus than Cope and Benny together.

Also playing Copeland at the point with him the starters seems to be a decent lineup.

Our worst lineup on the season was the original starters with McLeod. McLeod really did not help us at all when he was healthy.

Long story short it doesn’t appear our net efficiency improves at all when Taylor is off the court. His individual stats are awful, but our team stats with him on the court have been decent overall. Maybe it’s because he’s a slight plus defensively?

Anyway it’s all here for people to research.

Thanks for this. I was going to say I think our best lineup was with Copeland and Taylor. Watching the games I was going to think Copeland/Benny is our worst forward combo.

I think Taylor while he never does anything positive, he doesn't rarely do anything wildly negative. So his impact on the game is sort of neutral. He doesn't do anything crazy to cause major distribution negatively while he is in.

LOL I guess we will see how much of a bum he is Saturday. I watched this game and couldn't decide who I wanted to win. I never know whether to root for the team we are about to play or not.
it's so damn confusing, isn't it?

LOL I guess we will see how much of a bum he is Saturday. I watched this game and couldn't decide who I wanted to win. I never know whether to root for the team we are about to play or not.
Oh I expect Wake to play their asses off now lol. Reids gonna be a handful

Wakes front court is big. Sallis and Hildreth are going to cause us major issues. Monsanto is back. They need this bad and it’s at home.

It’s hard to see a path to victory for this one

Taylor and Bell can't be on the floor together. Bell occasionally moves without the ball, but for the most part it's still two guys who camp out and wait for the ball to come to them.

Last edited:
Oh I expect Wake to play their asses off now lol. Reids gonna be a handful
We r gonna get smoked and beat down for good measure by the bigs. Reid will foul out MB

Wake isn’t that good. They turn it over a lot which plays into our hands.

Hildreth is also hurt, he injured his wrist in the NC State game according to Forbes(he also said it will be something that impacts him the rest of the year) and if you look at his numbers, he has been a shell of himself since. They've lost 3 out of the 4 games that he has been injured so that is definitely a big blow for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom