So with the weather today | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So with the weather today

Talking about weather being no excuse not to drive to the game, brings fondly to mind my first, or was it my second year, at SU. I transferred to Syracuse in 1976. I went to school in Boston prior to that so I had some experience with driving in snow- but that really didn't prepare me for a Syracuse winter.

Not fully appreciating lake effect snow I rented a garden apartment half way down Lime Street. Now the thing about Lime Street is, it is a nice size downhill (see below) T-ing into Erie Blvd- and believe me when I tell you it looked like a 90m ski jump, truly!, when it was snowing heavily and the street was slicked over. And, I was driving a Toyota TR5 stick shift at the time (second pix below) . YEE-HAW!

Being young and stupid I just forged ahead and ultimately learned how to shift through the gears, slip sliding down the hill and into the driveway. It was scary at first but I gotta say, after a month of practice I got as good at threading the needle and making the turn into the driveway as Hal Cohen was making free throws that year. But on the rare occasions when I missed and slid down the hill doing 360s as I headed for the T intersection with Erie, time slowed down, fear welled up in my throat as I prayed that I would stop short of the intersection, or if not, that no one would hit me as I came sliding across the Blvd. I survived with no accidents. And wouldn't you know, one of the benefits of those experiences which lasts to this day is, I learned the hard way how to drive well in the snow.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

No excuse indeed.

View attachment 54753

View attachment 54754
Wow! I lived in the Lime St. apartments in 1976 when my mom and dad were getting their PhDs. I was 2 years old. In 1977 my parents bought a house in Dewitt. Small world!

tbonezone said:
west virginia sold out in major storm last night. tonites crowd will give some indication of fan fervor imo.

16,700 vs BC >>>>12,000 vs Kansas

What was the announced attendance?

16,700 or so, but a lot of empties (probably due to the snow, among other things). By my count, the fifth-smallest conference crowd in Dome history. Had a real exhibition/gymnasium feel, especially in the first half. Counted 25 occupied blue seats (out of 300) in what's usually the student section.

16,700 or so, but a lot of empties (probably due to the snow, among other things). By my count, the fifth-smallest conference crowd in Dome history. Had a real exhibition/gymnasium feel, especially in the first half. Counted 25 occupied blue seats (out of 300) in what's usually the student section.

It did look sparse.

Can't wait for the game I'm going to though. Jan 30 against Georgia Tech. That should be a fairly full dome, right?

It did look sparse.

Can't wait for the game I'm going to though. Jan 30 against Georgia Tech. That should be a fairly full dome, right?

Boy, I doubt it. But they're honoring the '75 Final Four team and I'm (at least temporarily) of the mindset that any opportunity to enjoy a game at the Dome is a good one. The team's limited and our player personnel decisions have been weird; may as well wring every positive bit out of this season.

But I'll be surprised if we draw better than 25,000 for any remaining game. They'll claim a lot of student ticket sales (4,000, probably) for Georgia Tech, but that south end will be empty at noon.

Boy, I doubt it. But they're honoring the '75 Final Four team and I'm (at least temporarily) of the mindset that any opportunity to enjoy a game at the Dome is a good one. The team's limited and our player personnel decisions have been weird; may as well wring every positive bit out of this season.

But I'll be surprised if we draw better than 25,000 for any remaining game. They'll claim a lot of student ticket sales (4,000, probably) for Georgia Tech, but that south end will be empty at noon.

The seats my sister gets are down that end so I'll be sure to look for it.

16,700 vs BC >>>>12,000 vs Kansas

i'm not even going to try and explain seating capacity (14000 for WV) and thus why this statement is so ridiculous.
or get all meteorological and try to explain how in fact comparatively the weather there was far worse than it was here.
(state police in fact had to retrieve team busses.) the reason their stadium was full and ours wasn't close has to do entirely with the fan base attitudes. they were excited to watch their team this season. we aren't. the syracuse drops in attendance in football and hoops have nothing to do with poor weather or students on break. maybe you can't see that or don't want to. i don't know. but please try to stop making up excuses as to why people aren't watching. the answer is quite simple...

i'm not even going to try and explain seating capacity (14000 for WV) and thus why this statement is so ridiculous.
or get all meteorological and try to explain how in fact comparatively the weather there was far worse than it was here.
(state police in fact had to retrieve team busses.) the reason their stadium was full and ours wasn't close has to do entirely with the fan base attitudes. they were excited to watch their team this season. we aren't. the syracuse drops in attendance in football and hoops have nothing to do with poor weather or students on break. maybe you can't see that or don't want to. i don't know. but please try to stop making up excuses as to why people aren't watching. the answer is quite simple...

There just isnt any buzz with this team right now. Sad to say there is probably less excitement this year than there was last year based on the games I have attended. This whole self-probation, JB getting suspended, not as successful as the previous 5 seasons have added up to just a blah situation knowing that this team probably isnt going anywhere this season with the parts we have.

And yet, through all that blather, you still neglect to acknowledge that one team is playing Kansas and the other team is playing Boston College. Bravo.

tbonezone said:
i'm not even going to try and explain seating capacity (14000 for WV) and thus why this statement is so ridiculous. or get all meteorological and try to explain how in fact comparatively the weather there was far worse than it was here. (state police in fact had to retrieve team busses.) the reason their stadium was full and ours wasn't close has to do entirely with the fan base attitudes. they were excited to watch their team this season. we aren't. the syracuse drops in attendance in football and hoops have nothing to do with poor weather or students on break. maybe you can't see that or don't want to. i don't know. but please try to stop making up excuses as to why people aren't watching. the answer is quite simple...

You ignore the Kansas vs BC comparison. We'll also be one of the leaders nationwide in attendance this year. Don't see the issue at all. In fact there isn't one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom