Somebody in Syracuse who is this Chris McManus clown? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Somebody in Syracuse who is this Chris McManus clown?

ChrisMc said:
Hey everyone. I am the clown. I read the site fairly often. Glad some of you like us. I enjoy reading. Some of the best Cuse fans I know post on here all the time. Hope you don't hold it against us personally if you don't like some of our opinions. And Steve is actually a good guy in real life, even if he picked UConn to beat Saint Doug. Few things on the hoops penalties... I really don't think the punishment is all that excessive and I really don't want to be "hot take" guy in the media. My opinions come from all the people we've talked to about this, on and off our show. And we were pretty proud of how many guys we had on that people would want to hear from. Anyway, doesn't make my opinions right; lots of smart people disagree, but it's definitely not just for attention. I think different people are offended or not offended by different parts of the 94 page report. To me, I don't know how anyone on the hill is supposed to police what the players do at a YMCA. An estimated few thousand dollars worth of extra benefits over eight years is laughable, especially now that they get that much over a couple of years with the cost of attendance stipend. They should be embarrassed that it took them eight years to come up with that. The drug test thing is neither a competitive advantage nor morally indefensible, in my opinion. But how hard is it to follow your own policy? The previous administration left them without a leg to stand on with that. Cusefan, the reason we spend the most time on the academic part is because, to us, it's the worst part. We carried the conference call with the Committee on Infractions that day, and the spokesman spent the most time on the culture, monitoring, (other buzzwords) that would allow for the Fab Melo incident to happen. That's where the NCAA had the biggest problem. They are now saying that the coaches will be held responsible for the actions of their subordinates (Stan Kissel, in this case). I think we will be seeing more of this in future cases. I don't think JB is morally bankrupt or a cheater, but if they want the culture to change, they have to stop allowing the "I was unaware" defense. It's been allowing coaches all over the country to tell their people, "I don't care what you have to do, just get him eligible," which the subordinates are obviously going to follow. I have no idea if that happened here, but they are making it the coaches' business to make sure that doesn't happen at their programs. For the record, I do think the academic priority in the NCAA is mostly a farce, but if they don't pretend to care (by punishing coaches and programs like this), their whole system will be in jeopardy as the lawsuits keep coming. I could spend the rest of my life complaining about the setup of the NCAA and the member institutions that allow this archaic system just so administrators can line their pockets, but for now, this is our lousy system. And, bottom line, the penalties don't cripple them. They're thin next year, but that's not entirely NCAA related. The 2016-2018 rosters could be loaded in spite of the penalties, so I really don't think the punishment is as bad as people make it out to be.

All other things aside, your comment regarding the penalties not being excessive is patently ludicrous. You yourself basically reduced the whole issue to Fab's academics. What school has lost a postseason, 12 schollies, 9 acc games for the coach and 100plus wins over that? Over a paper?!?

And the coach has to have a "I was not aware" defense. The NCAA position for years has been they do not want the coaches directly responsible for academics as the risk is too great for nonsense.

All other things aside, your comment regarding the penalties not being excessive is patently ludicrous. You yourself basically reduced the whole issue to Fab's academics. What school has lost a postseason, 12 schollies, 9 acc games for the coach and 100plus wins over that? Over a paper?!?

And the coach has to have a "I was not aware" defense. The NCAA position for years has been they do not want the coaches directly responsible for academics as the risk is too great for nonsense.

Agreed--was going to make a similar post before seeing yours.

The NCAA's penalties in this situation were absolutely arbitrary, capricious, and totally out of what with precedent. I don't know how anybody who pays attention to collegiate athletics couldn't come to that same conclusion, compared to precedental cases.

It's not ALL over a paper; that's just the area of academic improprieties that JB is getting hit hardest for with the 9 games. And they are not telling coaches that they need to start talking with professors; they are telling coaches that they need to be explicitly clear to the people in their programs that they can never go around the rules to make players eligible.

Look, I realize it's not a popular opinion. But all things considered, they lost a postseason which they weren't going to anyway, three schollies per year in a sport where no one plays more than nine (and lots of freshman contribute), and a bunch of documented wins that will always count to us no matter what. The scholarships sting a little, but it's supposed to. They broke some rules.

ChrisMc said:
Hey everyone. I am the clown. I read the site fairly often. Glad some of you like us. I enjoy reading. Some of the best Cuse fans I know post on here all the time. Hope you don't hold it against us personally if you don't like some of our opinions. And Steve is actually a good guy in real life, even if he picked UConn to beat Saint Doug. Few things on the hoops penalties...

I really don't think the punishment is all that excessive and I really don't want to be "hot take" guy in the media. My opinions come from all the people we've talked to about this, on and off our show. And we were pretty proud of how many guys we had on that people would want to hear from. Anyway, doesn't make my opinions right; lots of smart people disagree, but it's definitely not just for attention. I think different people are offended or not offended by different parts of the 94 page report.

To me, I don't know how anyone on the hill is supposed to police what the players do at a YMCA. An estimated few thousand dollars worth of extra benefits over eight years is laughable, especially now that they get that much over a couple of years with the cost of attendance stipend. They should be embarrassed that it took them eight years to come up with that.

The drug test thing is neither a competitive advantage nor morally indefensible, in my opinion. But how hard is it to follow your own policy? The previous administration left them without a leg to stand on with that.

Cusefan, the reason we spend the most time on the academic part is because, to us, it's the worst part. We carried the conference call with the Committee on Infractions that day, and the spokesman spent the most time on the culture, monitoring, (other buzzwords) that would allow for the Fab Melo incident to happen. That's where the NCAA had the biggest problem. They are now saying that the coaches will be held responsible for the actions of their subordinates (Stan Kissel, in this case). I think we will be seeing more of this in future cases. I don't think JB is morally bankrupt or a cheater, but if they want the culture to change, they have to stop allowing the "I was unaware" defense. It's been allowing coaches all over the country to tell their people, "I don't care what you have to do, just get him eligible," which the subordinates are obviously going to follow. I have no idea if that happened here, but they are making it the coaches' business to make sure that doesn't happen at their programs.

For the record, I do think the academic priority in the NCAA is mostly a farce, but if they don't pretend to care (by punishing coaches and programs like this), their whole system will be in jeopardy as the lawsuits keep coming. I could spend the rest of my life complaining about the setup of the NCAA and the member institutions that allow this archaic system just so administrators can line their pockets, but for now, this is our lousy system.

And, bottom line, the penalties don't cripple them. They're thin next year, but that's not entirely NCAA related. The 2016-2018 rosters could be loaded in spite of the penalties, so I really don't think the punishment is as bad as people make it out to be.

If you have actually read SU's response, you'd see that the NCAA didn't follow it's own rules in punishing SU.

Take away a couple scholarships, a post season and some wins. Fine. But your hot take that we weren't punished enough (so edgy bro, keep it up) is, as pointed out earlier, ludicrous. And really it's the definition of "hot take."

Your argument is so intellectually dishonest. You decry the system and pretend to acknowledge that it's bull**** but then say "if we don't protect the system the whole thing falls." You're like one Roger Goodell's media jock lickers except somehow you're bearing Mark Emmert's cross.

I don't care about Goodell or Emmert. If the schools had such a huge problem with Emmert, they'd get rid of him and the NCAA. If the owners had such a huge problem with Goodell, they'd get rid of him too. Lots of similarities. If the schools/owners wanted overhaul, they could easily make it happen. They are all making way too much money while everyone directs venom at Goodell/NCAA.

ChrisMc said:
I don't care about Goodell or Emmert. If the schools had such a huge problem with Emmert, they'd get rid of him and the NCAA. If the owners had such a huge problem with Goodell, they'd get rid of him too. Lots of similarities. If the schools/owners wanted overhaul, they could easily make it happen. They are all making way too much money while everyone directs venom at Goodell/NCAA.

The NCAA doesn't have the moral authority to sit in judgment. They've botched so many investigations. Their Committee on Infractions has been making things up, ignoring exculpatory evidence, and predetermining guilt before investigations begin. The fact that you're just holding your self as a martyr taking an unpopular position is ridiculous. SU's response was a point-by-point destruction of the NCAA's findings. But the "we should be punished more" crowd takes the NCAA at face value.

Again, congrats on the #hottake.

ChrisMc welcome to the board! I hope you post more. The problem I see is unlike Flood at Rutgers...Boeheim did stay out of it...Kissel messed up along with Gross. The Athletic Dept and school should be punished...give them a fine and make them hire more NCAA compliance folks.

I don't SU hoops shouldn't get any punishment...but 5 years probation is a lot...UK laughs at us.

It's not ALL over a paper; that's just the area of academic improprieties that JB is getting hit hardest for with the 9 games. And they are not telling coaches that they need to start talking with professors; they are telling coaches that they need to be explicitly clear to the people in their programs that they can never go around the rules to make players eligible.

Look, I realize it's not a popular opinion. But all things considered, they lost a postseason which they weren't going to anyway, three schollies per year in a sport where no one plays more than nine (and lots of freshman contribute), and a bunch of documented wins that will always count to us no matter what. The scholarships sting a little, but it's supposed to. They broke some rules.

Oy vey.

The problem with the sports media is that most of the "expert" prognosticators don't know anything about business, life, or law. And the argument could be made that few of them really know that much about sports.

Even worse, today's 24/7 news culture has come to both expect / demand a pound of flesh over virtually any transgression. Oddly enough, after scorching the earth and ensuring that lives are destroyed, they then are willing to completely forgive anybody who acts contrite, provided the apologize publically and seem sincere. It really is an odd dynamic.

So why am I not surprised to hear you advocate this position?

In actuality, SU committed a bunch of penny-ante infractions that were SELF REPORTED. The NCAA then investigated for 8 years to find more, and couldn't dig up anything beyond what was, you know, self reported.

And with respect to those infractions, players were suspended, athletic department staff were terminated, and the reports were, you know, self reported to the NCAA. So we already faced the music on the vast majority of the infractions. "They broke some rules," as you put it, and then they self-imposed some penalties and proactively took measures to ensure that those breakdowns wouldn't occur again.

The NCAA has zero consistency with respect to who they choose to go after, and how they punish those who they selectively do choose to go after. It is a joke.

If you think that we deserved the unprecendentally harsh penalties we received, what do you think North Carolina should get for inculcating institutionalized academic fraud for 18 years to keep athletes eligible? Oh yeah--that isn't in the NCAA's wheelhouse, but going berzerk over one paper and a couple of poorly overseen internships is.

Therein lies the inherent hypocrisy of the NCAA, and why it is difficult to take your opinion with anything more than a grain of salt. No offense.

Last edited:
ChrisMc said:
It's not ALL over a paper; that's just the area of academic improprieties that JB is getting hit hardest for with the 9 games. And they are not telling coaches that they need to start talking with professors; they are telling coaches that they need to be explicitly clear to the people in their programs that they can never go around the rules to make players eligible. Look, I realize it's not a popular opinion. But all things considered, they lost a postseason which they weren't going to anyway, three schollies per year in a sport where no one plays more than nine (and lots of freshman contribute), and a bunch of documented wins that will always count to us no matter what. The scholarships sting a little, but it's supposed to. They broke some rules.
First, have you read the report? I have about 10 times. The biggest transgression by far was the academics surrounding fab Melos failure to put citations in a paper about his life. Think about that insanity for a minute. Now, what exactly is JB supposed to do there, that is not his authority nor his issue. That is clearly an AD issue.

And taking away a postseason in the middle of the season is a penalty. They could have qualified and in my opinion might have if that had not been rendered.

No offense taken. UNC is everything wrong with the system, and why it needs an overhaul. The whole, "you play for us, we'll give you a college degree" identity probably needs an overhaul. But as long as that IS the identity, you have to try to come up with ways to enforce the rules. They have never been very good at that, but it doesn't excuse programs that break them. I wish they'd bash UNC and all these SEC football programs with multi-year bans, since what they've done is comparatively much worse.

And thanks, Mark. Appreciate it. Hope to meet up with you guys at some tailgates.

Hey everyone. I am the clown. I read the site fairly often. Glad some of you like us. I enjoy reading. Some of the best Cuse fans I know post on here all the time. Hope you don't hold it against us personally if you don't like some of our opinions. And Steve is actually a good guy in real life, even if he picked UConn to beat Saint Doug. Few things on the hoops penalties...

I really don't think the punishment is all that excessive and I really don't want to be "hot take" guy in the media. My opinions come from all the people we've talked to about this, on and off our show. And we were pretty proud of how many guys we had on that people would want to hear from. Anyway, doesn't make my opinions right; lots of smart people disagree, but it's definitely not just for attention. I think different people are offended or not offended by different parts of the 94 page report.

To me, I don't know how anyone on the hill is supposed to police what the players do at a YMCA. An estimated few thousand dollars worth of extra benefits over eight years is laughable, especially now that they get that much over a couple of years with the cost of attendance stipend. They should be embarrassed that it took them eight years to come up with that.

The drug test thing is neither a competitive advantage nor morally indefensible, in my opinion. But how hard is it to follow your own policy? The previous administration left them without a leg to stand on with that.

Cusefan, the reason we spend the most time on the academic part is because, to us, it's the worst part. We carried the conference call with the Committee on Infractions that day, and the spokesman spent the most time on the culture, monitoring, (other buzzwords) that would allow for the Fab Melo incident to happen. That's where the NCAA had the biggest problem. They are now saying that the coaches will be held responsible for the actions of their subordinates (Stan Kissel, in this case). I think we will be seeing more of this in future cases. I don't think JB is morally bankrupt or a cheater, but if they want the culture to change, they have to stop allowing the "I was unaware" defense. It's been allowing coaches all over the country to tell their people, "I don't care what you have to do, just get him eligible," which the subordinates are obviously going to follow. I have no idea if that happened here, but they are making it the coaches' business to make sure that doesn't happen at their programs.

For the record, I do think the academic priority in the NCAA is mostly a farce, but if they don't pretend to care (by punishing coaches and programs like this), their whole system will be in jeopardy as the lawsuits keep coming. I could spend the rest of my life complaining about the setup of the NCAA and the member institutions that allow this archaic system just so administrators can line their pockets, but for now, this is our lousy system.

And, bottom line, the penalties don't cripple them. They're thin next year, but that's not entirely NCAA related. The 2016-2018 rosters could be loaded in spite of the penalties, so I really don't think the punishment is as bad as people make it out to be.

Welcome to the board Chris! Nothing personal against you or Steve, you guys are a good listen. I know you've probably read all of my posts on this subject and I'll agree to disagree in some of the above. You definitely should voice in more and tell Steve not to be scared to either.

Also I wish everyone would stop guaranteeing future great teams. I know our immediate commits look promising, but that doesn't guarantee U.S. national contention in 2016.

First, have you read the report? I have about 10 times. The biggest transgression by far was the academics surrounding fab Melos failure to put citations in a paper about his life. Think about that insanity for a minute. Now, what exactly is JB supposed to do there, that is not his authority nor his issue. That is clearly an AD issue.

And taking away a postseason in the middle of the season is a penalty. They could have qualified and in my opinion might have if that had not been rendered.

...Especially when you factor in how Flood from RU just got suspended, fined, and nearly fired for being "too" involved in his players' academics.

Talk about a double standard -- you're accountable, but you'd better not get TOO involved. Comical.

No offense taken. UNC is everything wrong with the system, and why it needs an overhaul. The whole, "you play for us, we'll give you a college degree" identity probably needs an overhaul. But as long as that IS the identity, you have to try to come up with ways to enforce the rules. They have never been very good at that, but it doesn't excuse programs that break them. I wish they'd bash UNC and all these SEC football programs with multi-year bans, since what they've done is comparatively much worse.

And thanks, Mark. Appreciate it. Hope to meet up with you guys at some tailgates.

And that's EXACTLY why SU fans are pissed -- what those schools have done IS comparatively much worse, and yet we get the most unprecedentally harsh penalties in NCAA history [short of SMU].

The punishment didn't remotely fit the relative nature of our infractions. I don't think any SU fan could intellectually argue that we don't deserve SOME penalty, but to get what we got is tough to swallow. Meanwhile, Auburn's penalty for Cam Newton receiving ~$150K to play there is that his father got banned from attending a bowl game--while at UK...

Last edited:

What did Syracuse really tangibly lose from the penalties? Certainly not an NCAA birth last year, they weren't making the tourney either way. Is missing the NIT really a loss?

Yes they have fewer scholarships, but what has that actually cost them? Kevin Huerter is the only guy who probably would have come here that we didn't end up with.

I suppose we lost Boeheim coaching 9 games next year, but considering Hopkins is next in line anyway I'm actually excited to see him get a chance to coach.

The NCAA has limited enforcement abilities. Syracuse went years putting very little effort into NCAA compliance, and all it cost them was Kevin Huerter. If they put any effort at all into NCAA compliance they would never have got hit at all. The punishment was not excessive. The problem is that other schools do much worse (but are better at compliance) and get little to no penalties.

Being proactive doesn't mean contacting professors. Not sure why so many people (not just here) are making the leap. The NCAA isn't saying Boeheim should be pushing for grade changes, but it's reasonable to think he'd be involved at some point along the way, or make sure the staff he supervised was updating him.

Personally I think the penalties are excessive, but I just wanted to point out what I feel is some flawed logic in regards to academic involvement by coaches.

The Melo stuff happened once in 8 years. That makes it an abberration, not the norm.

Being proactive doesn't mean contacting professors. Not sure why so many people (not just here) are making the leap. The NCAA isn't saying Boeheim should be pushing for grade changes, but it's reasonable to think he'd be involved at some point along the way, or make sure the staff he supervised was updating him.

Personally I think the penalties are excessive, but I just wanted to point out what I feel is some flawed logic in regards to academic involvement by coaches.

The university hired a staff member to oversee academic support / compliance. Said staff member did some rogue stuff. What else is Boeheim supposed to do, if he isn't allowed to get directly involved? The point of hiring support staff to oversee compliance is to delegate compliance oversight to them.

There is some flawed logic on your end, as well.

The university hired a staff member to oversee academic support / compliance. Said staff member did some rogue stuff. What else is Boeheim supposed to do, if he isn't allowed to get directly involved? The point of hiring support staff to oversee compliance is to delegate compliance oversight to them.

There is some flawed logic on your end, as well.

Well from what I understand, Boeheim himself hired Kissel and gave him those responsibilities, so yes, I think it's reasonable that Boeheim have responsibility in that oversight. Again, Boeheim can't contact professors, but I don't believe there is any rule about him meeting with Gross and the others in that infamous meeting was there?

Any manager/supervisor who hires someone to work on their staff shares some responsibility for that staff member's supervision, no?

Well from what I understand, Boeheim himself hired Kissel and gave him those responsibilities, so yes, I think it's reasonable that Boeheim have responsibility in that oversight. Again, Boeheim can't contact professors, but I don't believe there is any rule about him meeting with Gross and the others in that infamous meeting was there?

Any manager/supervisor who hires someone to work on their staff shares some responsibility for that staff member's supervision, no?

Some responsibility, yes. But firing the guy for not doing his job IS what someone does when they have responsibility for oversight. That's what a responsible executive does. That's what Boeheim did.

Also kicking the player out of school and losing out on having the player for the NCAA tournament are severe enough penalties that were already suffered before the NCAA got involved. He shouldn't also be required to vacate more than 100 wins, be suspended for games, and also be subjected to a clearly punitive and capriciously arbitrary scholarship restriction.

It is borderline absurd, frankly. He's not allowed to get directly involved, but he's held 100% accountable for every minor slip up, even when he's already addressed said slip ups by terminating the employee. Talk about hypocritical messages.

Last edited:

You give that staff person the responsibility and the authority to carry out those responsibilities. Then you tell that person to report to you on a regular basis as to what he is accomplishing. You cannot micromanage every person on your staff. (Even though many of us have had bosses that tried)

What did Syracuse really tangibly lose from the penalties? Certainly not an NCAA birth last year, they weren't making the tourney either way. Is missing the NIT really a loss?

Yes they have fewer scholarships, but what has that actually cost them? Kevin Huerter is the only guy who probably would have come here that we didn't end up with.

I suppose we lost Boeheim coaching 9 games next year, but considering Hopkins is next in line anyway I'm actually excited to see him get a chance to coach.

The NCAA has limited enforcement abilities. Syracuse went years putting very little effort into NCAA compliance, and all it cost them was Kevin Huerter. If they put any effort at all into NCAA compliance they would never have got hit at all. The punishment was not excessive. The problem is that other schools do much worse (but are better at compliance) and get little to no penalties.
It's hard to play it out but I think we could've made the tourney without the ban. I just think we lost steam at that point.

We certainly lost huerter and I'm sure the roster struggle isn't lost on recruits. I'm also not sure it wasn't a factor in the transfers. Maybe not. But I think it did cost us Huerter in year 1.

Again I struggle with the notion that the penalties were not excessive juxtaposed with "other schools do much worse...and get little to no penalties".

Some responsibility, yes. But firing the guy for not doing his job IS what someone does when they have responsibility for oversight. That's what a responsible executive does. That's what Boeheim did.

Also kicking the player out of school and losing out on having the player for the NCAA tournament are severe enough penalties that were already suffered before the NCAA got involved. He shouldn't also be required to vacate more than 100 wins, be suspended for games, and also be subjected to a clearly punitive and capriciously arbitrary scholarship restriction.

It is borderline absurd, frankly. He's not allowed to get directly involved, but he's held 100% accountable for every minor slip up, even when he's already addressed said slip ups by terminating the employee. Talk about hypocritical messages.

I don't disagree, especially with the hypocrisy of the NCAA. Just saying what you said right at the beginning- some responsibility.

I think vacating wins is dumb, and having students who weren't involved being penalized with tourney bans is even dumber.

Listen you got my respect for atleast coming on here. I think your position is ludicrous.
Syracuse is going to feel the crunch with 12 lost scholarships. JB likes taking development prospects and with only 10 scholarships we can't miss on any recruits. I get he plays a small rotation but he needs upperclassmen to blend with 1 or 2 and done recruits he likes to mix in.

The NCAA wanted to hammer us and spent years investigating and just like some owners wanted a Spygate redo with the Patriots the NCAA wanted another crack at JB. The penalties are absurd and appealing them are obvious. Accepting the penalties would allow the NCAA to try and take down JB without much to blame on him.

The NCAA used the academics in the Fab Melo case because it was the low hanging fruit that allowed them to achieve their goal. Syracuse got rid of Dr. Gross because of this affair. If the NCAA cares about integrity that should resonate with them. Instead the NCAA hires Oliver Luck and then when WVU gets its penalties from the NCAA for a bunch of programs they get a slap on the wrist. Hmm I wonder why?

JB, when talking abobut injuries in the past has said "if the doctors say a kid can play, he plays. if not he doesn't." I think his attitude toward academics has been similar: he assumes people are doing their job right.

Meanwhile the guys from USC decided to do things the way the Trojans would do them.

The NCAA both wants coaches to take more responsibility and yet stay out of things at the same time. That's hard to do. But it's why Boeheim got suspended. I think the scholarship limit is because they wanted to do something to the University. Why not fine the school and suspend/banish the individuals who actually did something unethical instead? Are they going to be working at other schools and doing the same things? Why deprive student/athletes of scholarships? The loss of wins is simply a pie in the face. It has no substance but is insulting.

mber: 652"]Syracuse got rid of Dr. Gross because of this affair.

The former AD is still employed at SU.
As mentioned elsewhere, that - in and of itself - is a scandal.