Someone convince me that Silent G deserves the backup 3 minutes over Roberson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Someone convince me that Silent G deserves the backup 3 minutes over Roberson

Especially with Grant hurt, can someone explain to me what Gbinijie does to get preference for backup forward minutes over Roberson?
Someone convince me why Roberson, Patterson and maybe even BJ can't get at least 3-5 minutes a game. Have a specific role for them and let one at least see if they can get into any kind of rythm.

Can anybody give me one good reason why Roberson should be playing minutes right now? I'm assuming that's what this post was geared towards but I'm wondering why it's being pushed so hard. They guy has done literally nothing with the court time he's had.

I'm not crapping on him and he'll be fine down the road, hut he's just not ready right now.

He rebounds well, he seems active in the zone (covers more ground than Grant or CJ), he beats the other team down the floor (and all the rest of his teammates) pretty consistently. Other than that, oh and the nice little fake and drive he had one game, I can't really think of another reason, except oh yeah, our forwards appear to be injured or dead tired.

I think JB is just trying to have more than one outside shooter on the floor at the same time. And I'm not including CJ in that because I'm not sure JB would rely on him for extending the defense. It would be nice to get both Trevor and Mike going and hitting at the same time.

And G is actually very competent rebounding. He missed a rotation to the corner last night because he forgot he wasn't the guard for a half second and that hurt, but he's not terrible at playing one of the forward spots.
Tyler has to be more assertive in scoring himself IMO.

That's not the point. He needs minutes as the starting 2 guard. I think this is quite clear.
You think, therefore you are wrong. I'm sure someone famous once said that. Just another of my gut feelings. Or it could be the spicy taco soup my wife made. Either way, I have a massive problem digesting any logical thought put into these ideas (both the starting part and the spicy taco soup).

Van111 said:
Someone convince me why Roberson, Patterson and maybe even BJ can't get at least 3-5 minutes a game. Have a specific role for them and let one at least see if they can get into any kind of rythm.

When were within one possession at the end of every single game, every second is important. Just a risk I'm not willing to take right now with my three sons.

He rebounds well, he seems active in the zone (covers more ground than Grant or CJ), he beats the other team down the floor (and all the rest of his teammates) pretty consistently. Other than that, oh and the nice little fake and drive he had one game, I can't really think of another reason, except oh yeah, our forwards appear to be injured or dead tired.
Oh and he is lost defensively most of the time. Be great if he covered the right ground and if he was in fact covering more ground than CJ or Grant. Oh and he only one time did something you remember. Oh and his shot selection is awful. Oh and he played scared to death last night so badly he couldn't get any of his moves to coordinate with his feet. Oh and.. he isn't anywhere near ready this year.

Other than that you are so very close to being right on. Oh and you once long time ago were in fact right on. Can't remember when or about what but at least once. Maybe once. Never mind...

I'm going way off the boat here, but I can't see it being a bad thing to keep Cooney's legs fresh for late 2nd half and play Buss or of course MG at the 2, if Grant's playing, to spell him early. He's honestly the one I think is logging too many minutes, and its affecting his shot when we need it... Remember when GMAC was burned at the end of the year and we fell hard in the tourney. We need TC on his game in March!

Oh and he is lost defensively most of the time. Be great if he covered the right ground and if he was in fact covering more ground than CJ or Grant. Oh and he only one time did something you remember. Oh and his shot selection is awful. Oh and he played scared to death last night so badly he couldn't get any of his moves to coordinate with his feet. Oh and.. he isn't anywhere near ready this year.

Other than that you are so very close to being right on. Oh and you once long time ago were in fact right on. Can't remember when or about what but at least once. Maybe once. Never mind...

Everytime I've seen him play he's done very well in the zone. He seems to be much more prepared for the zone than any frosh I can recall. Seriously.

How many shots has he taken for you to say it's awful? I've seen him attempt maybe 5-10 15 (or less) footers. I wouldn't call those awful shots. And I seem to remember the entire board melting down over CJ's shot selection the other night.

And once again, you show your true colors, the same ones you show over on the OT board. You remind me of something that rhymes with fozzle. I was trying to be funny, you're just trying to be a jerk.

Short of absolute foul-trouble or other unforeseen disaster, the Roberson ship has sailed.
It is what it is.

I'm going way off the boat here, but I can't see it being a bad thing to keep Cooney's legs fresh for late 2nd half and play Buss or of course MG at the 2, if Grant's playing, to spell him early. He's honestly the one I think is logging too many minutes, and its affecting his shot when we need it... Remember when GMac was burned at the end of the year and we fell hard in the tourny. We need TC on his game in March!

sense.jpg

Van111 said:

Those 3 have not convinced JB that they should be in the game for those minutes. Convincing anyone else does not matter.

My comfort zone. Roberson played so scared last night, he scares even me.

My comfort zone is a good answer. When he came in, he was nervous. He is thinking too much, it happens. Not everyone is ready to play. Just because someone can dominate Jordan, Bird and Melo in a pickup game, doesn't mean they are ready for prime time ball, on the big stage. Players grow at different rates. Also, people have different personalities and often those personalities make it hard to successfully assimilate into a top 10 college basketball team right away. Hopefully, it does happen and we reap the benefits, however.

I'm going way off the boat here, but I can't see it being a bad thing to keep Cooney's legs fresh for late 2nd half and play Buss or of course MG at the 2, if Grant's playing, to spell him early. He's honestly the one I think is logging too many minutes, and its affecting his shot when we need it... Remember when GMAC was burned at the end of the year and we fell hard in the tourney. We need TC on his game in March!

1) I'm not trying to be a jerk but what has Buss done to earn PT? I don't see it. Because he ran hard against someone D2 team? I look at him and am not sure I even understand the long-term place he has.

2)GMAC had a real injury, it was nothing to do with being "burned." He was playing on one leg against Texas AM and unfortunately, our other offensive options were guys with little offensive firepower.

Everytime I've seen him play he's done very well in the zone. He seems to be much more prepared for the zone than any frosh I can recall. Seriously.

How many shots has he taken for you to say it's awful? I've seen him attempt maybe 5-10 15 (or less) footers. I wouldn't call those awful shots. And I seem to remember the entire board melting down over CJ's shot selection the other night.

And once again, you show your true colors, the same ones you show over on the OT board. You remind me of something that rhymes with fozzle. I was trying to be funny, you're just trying to be a jerk.
I would contend then you don't know the zone nuances very well. Perhaps watch JB chew on him and point to where he should have been when he gets yanked. Not being snarky just observing what JB does, because quite frankly I have watched the zone for 30 years or more and I know I still don't know every aspect nor what variations JB has planned for a particular player or team. Roberson has taken three's and it has been said that is not his forte. His few threepoint shots have proven this. Yesterday he couldn't get his feet right and put up two very ugly shots from in close. He was fortunate that he got bailed out on one of them, he was actually stumbling before the contact, and went to the line . CJ's shots are not the point here but rather the frosh's shots.

My true colors? Sorry I don't agree with your political views. I deem yours to be radically different than mine. But again, this has absolutely nothing to do with Roberson nor does your dislike for me. Neither of us will lose sleep over this.

Funny, as is sarcasm (one of my strong suits and one of my worst traits all in one), is often in the eye of the beholder. It doesn't always come across in text very well. I actually liked your delivery style and stole it for my response.

Why do people think Gbinije is playing bad? I've only seen him improve.

Why do people think Gbinije is playing bad? I've only seen him improve.
Not sure everyone thinks that. I for one have been pleased with his progress. I certainly don't expect him to make every shot, but when he doesn't think and just plays his shot usually goes in. That is starting to happen on a steady basis. I am now comfortable with him shooting. I just might give him a few more minutes next game. (aside to all: can I do that only own?)

Last edited:
They did nothimg with extended minutes against the preseason teams, why would u expect them to be that much better against conference team?

All I know is my sphincter no longer tightens up when G comes into the game. Is that me saying he's improved?

Roberson will have his time, we're the Syracuse Orange under Jim Boeheim, not the Kentucky Wildcats under MoneyBagz.

Gbinije is the more versatile, experienced, proven and trustworthy candidate. He's great in the zone, provides transition, is a good passer and is starting to find confidence in that 3 point shot we so desperately need.

I agree, your training Gbinije then to play 3 different positions when you can train him to be a better, and more confident guard, AND have a more confident Roberson going forward. But who knows, the kid was a dukie, so he can at least handle the 3 positions...

I agree, your training Gbinije then to play 3 different positions when you can train him to be a better, and more confident guard, AND have a more confident Roberson going forward. But who knows, the kid was a dukie, so he can at least handle the 3 positions...

Given what has been put of G's plate - filling in at PG without true PG skill set and now getting run at the 3 (much more complicated adjustment on D playing a wing vs. adjustment on O as a 3) - he has done pretty well. Hate to think where we would be without him. JB obviously feels more comfortable with him over Roberson. Nobody has to like it, it is what it is.

I am in the camp that wanted Roberson to get a little run in every game to get him more comfortable by the end of the season - to whatever degree he could be comfortable. Always thought we were going to need him at the end of the season given the inevitable wear and tear. Then again, I don't see him in practice every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom