Song of the Day II | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

Song of the Day II

Usher is doing the Super Bowl and I’m an R&B before a pop guy….and being in 7th grade when this single was out, to me this will always be my favorite song he did.

There’s zero chance he does it at the Super Bowl as probably less than 1% of the people paying attention will even know this one. Also, the writer/producer(DeVante from the group Jodeci) did lots of work while “holed up” in Rochester, NY to “limit distractions” around this mid 90s time though I think this single was a little before his Rochester era.

I’m still on an Usher kick. Probably little chance he does this at the Super Bowl either(and I’ll probably dislike a bunch of the ones he does - Yeah!, OMG, DJ Got Us Falling In Love, etc), but maybe. But Usher’s got a hell of a R&B catalogue beyond the few annoying overplayed following trends of their time pop songs.

Stevie Wonder on the harmonica around the 3 minute mark. This version is nowhere to be found on streaming but was played on the radio all the time in 2004/05 and was on the bonus versions of the CD that were out at that time. Not sure why it was seemingly wiped out. Even on the “streaming version” Usher says “Stevie, break it down” but then they just skip the harmonica part.

Even without Stevie, it’s one of his best. But with Stevie, it goes up a notch.

I was hoping there was a Black Sheep - The Choice is Yours sample here, lol.

Pretty sure there were kids in my HS with “Deftones” patches on their backpacks, but I think what you just posted is the first notes of their music I’ve ever heard.

I was hoping there was a Black Sheep - The Choice is Yours sample here, lol.

Pretty sure there were kids in my HS with “Deftones” patches on their backpacks, but I think what you just posted is the first notes of their music I’ve ever heard.

You clearly didn't skateboard enough in your youth!

The Roots defined my college years. Happy for them that they’ve got the Tonight Show gig after working so hard touring and working albums that never truly sold what they should’ve for the better part of 2 decades…..but I really wish they’d make another album and put it out because I miss the excitement of listening to and disgusting new music from them. One of their most beautiful and underrated…

Anybody going to see Dylan this tour? Lots of northeast dates including Rochester 10/23. Toronto and Schenectady later this month too.

Always good to crank this up to clear out the cobwebs. I think Fred Smith changed the lyrics every time he sang this. Another great talent taken too soon. He and Patti Smith have my vote as the ultimate rock power couple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom