Song to break out of tunnel to pump everyone up... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Song to break out of tunnel to pump everyone up...

I’m spending way too much time analyzing the best strategy for a new intro song this morning, this is where I think a best first attempt (that’s not a fight song version) would land:

Iowa does “Back in Black” which they started using in 2005 (and is awesome…). That song came out in 1980. A song around 25 years old that still has some relevance would be ideal - older fans in their 40s liked it as kids, and probably play it around their kids so younger fans are familiar with it. I looked up songs from 1998 because I forgot it was 2024 already and so thought that was 25 years ago - Everybody by Backstreet Boys is on the list. That’s not viable for an intro - but I thought that was interesting.

I took my kids to an AHL hockey game a couple months ago; they played that song and a group of preteen girls in front of us started dancing and singing along. They played it at the N.J. Devils game I went to this weekend and they kept showing MILFs getting down on the video board…I think those support the idea a song from about 25 years ago has the highest likelihood of success.

A counterpoint is that Jump Around came out in ‘92 and started being used in ‘98, so we could go more recent - my rebuttal would be that, having lived in Wisconsin for a fair part of my career - those folks are weird, unlike anywhere else in the country, and Wisconsinites often serve as the exception that proves the rules (as they potentially are in this case).

A couple of thoughts (in part because this topic has been turned over sooo many times here):
1) Lots of schools have traditional introductions/"taking the field" and most are not based on contemporary pop music or culture (ND, OSU, Miami are a few that immediately come to mind)
2) If we worry about being so contemporary (let the 17 year olds decide) then do we have to have a new song every year?
3) The best "traditional" songs are old now. Enter Sandman and Jump Around are circa 1990/1991 I believe.
4) Something organic can/should happen, but during the game, where it is more acceptable. I think the intro should be more of a tradition (I've mentioned a re-vamped fight song for the tunnel "release". What comes as a lead in to that is open to discussion).
5) There is VERY LITTLE likelihood (read: none) that there will be universal agreement especially given how varied our community is (that is probably a good thing) and therefore this is the opportunity to create a greater, Orange community that rallies around the team and the moment. See #4 above for something that already exists and is outside the realm of another community/culture.

I get the posts “ Your all old get something new” however, one of the best entrances in all of college football is at Blacksburg with “Enter Sandman……. the players love it and it works on many levels. The players have their individual choices on there iphones and are listening to them getting warmed up and in locker room. I had hoped that the SU staff ( whoever makes the decisions ) would come up with something similar when we got the new Lighting and bells and whistles, it was a big disappointment IMO.

I actually love the play on Empire State of Mind

Think that could be used, at some point, during the games

If it builds, could it become an entrance song? I think it actually could
Like the song a lot, was used as post game song at RB Arena in Harrison for NY Red Bulls, not sure if it still is haven’t been for a couple years.

I'd like to see Empire State of Mind played postgame after wins. It's not really a 'hype' song, but it's a great song people can sing along to for the chorus and is a good vibes song. I know it's about NYC, but we're the marquee NY team in the state.

Or New York New York, or New York State of Mind.

Agree a lot of people are showing their age - but “let the students decide” is a horrible solution. Students make up what - a fifth of the crowd? Maybe a quarter at most. It has to be something with broad appeal. Should it be something students have a stake in? Sure - but they are not and cannot be the sole decision makers in something with a whole lot more stakeholders. And the idea that somehow a hip-hop song 90% of the crowd has never heard is going to be popularized solely by a student section that wanted it makes me question if those proposing it have any familiarity with actual human behavior.

Great way to enhance a “town vs gown” mentality and terrible crowd dynamic - which is the exact opposite of the supposed goal.
I am sure 90% of Wisconsin's crowd never heard of "Jump Around" but it worked.

I am sure 90% of Wisconsin's crowd never heard of "Jump Around" but it worked.

That’s incredibly unlikely - you might be sure but you are almost certainly wrong. It was getting hip-hop, pop, and rock play on radio at a time people still listened to it, was already getting played at other sports stadiums, was the intro music for PG-13 in WWE, was one of VH1s top hits of ‘92 - Jump Around had a much broader appeal and unquestionably more awareness than almost any music made today can even hope to achieve (as the music industry has changed so dramatically).

Hype video > Crowd sings and dances to “I gotta feeling” by Black Eyes Peas > Team entrance with fight song > Boos for the away team > Let’s go Orange chant until kickoff.

That’s incredibly unlikely - you might be sure but you are almost certainly wrong. It was getting hip-hop, pop, and rock play on radio at a time people still listened to it, was already getting played at other sports stadiums, was the intro music for PG-13 in WWE, was one of VH1s top hits of ‘92 - Jump Around had a much broader appeal and unquestionably more awareness than almost any music made today can even hope to achieve (as the music industry has changed so dramatically).
I'm leaning toward Baby Shark

The best entrance we had ironically was G-Rob's last season in 2008, when we came out to 'Put On' by Jeezy (which came out in 2008). It's too bad the team was so awful, that gave me goosebumps as a student and the team LOVED it.

"When I first made the "Put On" beat, I wanted it to feel like a new anthem for the Chicago Bulls when they came out on the
floor. I was thinking about the Bulls anthem with Phil Jackson and Michael Jordan in primetime."
-Drumma Boy (producer)

I wish that the students that are supposed to live for this, would come up with something. They are there, in the moment, living this...and have done absolutely nothing

If you poll 100 of us, you’ll get somewhere around 100 different song suggestions. And of those suggestions, there might be 5-10 different categories or genres of music. For me, nothing but the band seems right. But if it had to be canned music, for me it would be metal. Hard rock at a minimum. Nothing else will fire me up. Bruce, rap, country etc is only gonna make me say “this sucks”. Just like some of you would hate something I would suggest.
The only thing that works in these situations is a genuine natural happening. A song that takes hold, or an action that becomes a tradition at games (tomahawk chop, clapping until scoring) just happens and everyone falls into place. You can’t just sit in a conference room and say “I have an idea for a new “tradition”.

This is all correct in my opinion. Outside of what you've mentioned above, very few additional schools have a longstanding tradition for the pregame entrance song. We see VT so much being in the same league as them for most of the last 30 years when they started doing Enter Sandman. South Carolina is the only other pregame one that comes to mind. Wisconsin, Michigan and Florida have the pre-4th quarter ones.

Would it be great to have something that is ours and fans rally behind? Of course. But very few schools have truly accomplished this well and like you mentioned, it can't be forced by the school. Has to be something that the fans embrace and make their own. The Hells Bells intro on third down is something that they've done for a long time that I like. It's not in the same breath as Virginia Tech, Wisconsin or South Carolina's entrances. But it's something that gets the fans into it.

Yeah I don’t think we need an entrance “tradition” so to speak. Just give me an entrance song that will hype up both the crowd and the players. Please no more low energy entrance video with unintelligible audio that ends abruptly and the team just sprints out. Always so anticlimactic.

If you poll 100 of us, you’ll get somewhere around 100 different song suggestions. And of those suggestions, there might be 5-10 different categories or genres of music. For me, nothing but the band seems right. But if it had to be canned music, for me it would be metal. Hard rock at a minimum. Nothing else will fire me up. Bruce, rap, country etc is only gonna make me say “this sucks”. Just like some of you would hate something I would suggest.
The only thing that works in these situations is a genuine natural happening. A song that takes hold, or an action that becomes a tradition at games (tomahawk chop, clapping until scoring) just happens and everyone falls into place. You can’t just sit in a conference room and say “I have an idea for a new “tradition”.

Yeah I don’t think we need an entrance “tradition” so to speak. Just give me an entrance song that will hype up both the crowd and the players. Please no more low energy entrance video with unintelligible audio that ends abruptly and the team just sprints out. Always so anticlimactic.

Would it also kill us to leave the lights down until AFTER the players come on to the field?

We always lift the lights up before they even get on the field.

Watch other entrances in football and basketball( generally the house lights are kept down until the team is fully put on the field and allow their high tech light shows to do the work

Or New York New York, or New York State of Mind.
Or a bit of both, going into an updated version of our fight song and followed by a song of the players choice during which the team emerges from the tunnel

Heres the situation, it needs to be a song with somewhat of a slow build into a crescendo that blows the roof off. Thats how to get the crowd amped. Something like ramble on by zepelin.

... Ready for it by Taylor Swift. Think of new fans we could attract. Have the team run out on the field around the 1:10 mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom