Sorry, but it is time... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, but it is time...

Is Tyus shooting 33% cause he’s an average shooter or is he shooting that because he takes a ton of contested looks?

For the record I have this same question about other former players as well.
I think it's a combination. I think if he wasn't taking so many contested shots it would be a better percentage but he also isn't a great perimeter shooter.

Not sure. All I know is that I wish we had a guy who shot 40% from three regardless. Why can't I get one of those?

Even so. You need guards who can consistently take guys off the bounce, draw the D, and get it to said shooters. Far too often we are moving east-west.

Not sure. All I know is that I wish we had a guy who shot 40% from three regardless. Why can't I get one of those?
Maybe you need to call the JB show and ask. How are you asking? This could be like when you try and give you son instruction and he doesn't listen and you go crazy.

Even so. You need guards who can consistently take guys off the bounce, draw the D, and get it to said shooters. Far too often we are moving east-west.

I know you’re kind of obsessed with guards that drive, but you can be effective offensively if you have guys that are elite passers and screen well. That’s how the 2010 team was effective. Wes and Andy weren’t great penetrators, but they made up for it with elite passing.

This team has no passing ability to speak of.

I know you’re kind of obsessed with guards that drive, but you can be effective offensively if you have guys that are elite passers and screen well. That’s how the 2010 team was effective. Wes and Andy weren’t great penetrators, but they made up for it with elite passing.

This team has no passing ability to speak of.

That too. But, JB says they don’t get assists. They drive. Maybe he needs to recruit some guys who can pass. Or make it part of the scheme.

Regarding the zone though, it's kinda tough. The track record of Syracuse's zone in terms of effectiveness is incredibly strong, far moreso than you seem willing to give it credit.
I think the Syracuse zone is a legitimate good-to-great defense. Where problems appear are that the trade offs being made to make it great hampers the rest of the team to the point where it can be a net negative. Virginia has a top-5 defense every season, they don't play zone. Michigan plays a top-5 defense the last three seasons, they don't play zone. Louisville was generally in the top-5 under Pitino every season and they don't play zone exclusively. So legitmately great defenses can be played consistently that aren't 100% zone.

The 2-3 zone operates best with tall lanky athletes and the recruits with those bodies and legitimate basketball skills are top-10/20 talents. SU doesn't get those recruits. Boeheim focuses on the body type and hopes he can teach enough/develop enough D1 basketball skill to make the offense work enough to win games. We can see what happens the offensive skill development doesn't occur enough to get over the tipping point.

Regardless. We added Hughes and Carey and are the same?
A little late to the party but I would say Hughes does nothing on either end besides shoot the three. Last year Marek took those minutes and did a bunch of little things. Grab rebounds, block shots, get charge calls and get put backs. Hughes does almost none of that. Carey is a turnover waiting to happen...I dislike Frank's slow game but last year Frank is way better then Carey is currently. Somehow the additional talent isn't as good as what we had last year.

A little late to the party but I would say Hughes does nothing on either end besides shoot the three. Last year Marek took those minutes and did a bunch of little things. Grab rebounds, block shots, get charge calls and get put backs. Hughes does almost none of that. Carey is a turnover waiting to happen...I dislike Frank's slow game but last year Frank is way better then Carey is currently. Somehow the additional talent isn't as good as what we had last year.

Hughes shoots 56% from 2. Higher than Battle, Brissett, Howard, and Carey. Hughes is getting way too much flack on the board. He’s way down on the list of problems.

Last edited:
We are an upper level ACC team and draw more fans than half of the NBA. Not many coaches will turn us down.

We are exactly 0.500 in ACC games over the last 4 seasons (technically below 0.500 if you include ACC tourney games). That’s pretty much the definition of mid-level, not upper level.

We are exactly 0.500 in ACC games over the last 4 seasons (technically below 0.500 if you include ACC tourney games). That’s pretty much the definition of mid-level, not upper level.

OK we were picked 4th in the conference this year.

Only VT is looking impressive OOC apart from the top 3 schools. Can still happen. Still think we are better than anyone bar Duke/UVA/UNC and maybe 1 more wildcard school like VT.

We need to follow up the sweet 16 run with a 4-6 finish in ACC play. The 4 OOC losses suck but stuff happens better to struggle early than late.

The ACC is very good if you didn't notice. Lets see how a veteran team does and if they can win 10+ conference games. Last year we only won 8.

Hughes shoots 56% from 2. Higher than Battle, Brissett, Howard, and Carey. Hughes is getting way too much flack on the board. He’s way down on the lid of problems.
I never said Hughes was the problem...if you read the post it says why is the new talent not translating better. What else did he do besides shoot? last night he got 4 rebs, no assist and 6 TO in 36 min. I said he doesn't do a lot of the things Marek did last year. The team currently has 4 guys that want to shoot three's and a center who cant score. I think the fact Brissett and Battle cannot take their guy of the dribble is far worse then Hughes.

I never said Hughes was the problem...if you read the post it says why is the new talent not translating better. What else did he do besides shoot? last night he got 4 rebs, no assist and 6 TO in 36 min. I said he doesn't do a lot of the things Marek did last year. The team currently has 4 guys that want to shoot three's and a center who cant score. I think the fact Brissett and Battle cannot take their guy of the dribble is far worse then Hughes.

Agree he turns the ball over a bit much, but I'd rather have him on the court than Oshae right now.

Only VT is looking impressive OOC apart from the top 3 schools. Can still happen. Still think we are better than anyone bar Duke/UVA/UNC and maybe 1 more wildcard school like VT..

Florida State is way better than we are.

Florida State is way better than we are.

Right now. Yes they are good.

We have played pretty well head to head vs VT and FSU since joining the ACC. Lets let the season play out.

Kip Wellman

GMac

I just cringe when I look at our bencg
In their defense ill just ask...who do you see on other benches that you think is any better? Likely you have never heard if any of them unless they were a former player like GMAC. Fyi...this is not an endoraement of these 2.

OK we were picked 4th in the conference this year.

Only VT is looking impressive OOC apart from the top 3 schools. Can still happen. Still think we are better than anyone bar Duke/UVA/UNC and maybe 1 more wildcard school like VT.

We need to follow up the sweet 16 run with a 4-6 finish in ACC play. The 4 OOC losses suck but stuff happens better to struggle early than late.

The ACC is very good if you didn't notice. Lets see how a veteran team does and if they can win 10+ conference games. Last year we only won 8.

If there is a chance to make some noise and get back in it then it must be this year. The ACC is NOT very good this year. Duke is in a class of thier own. UVA/UNC is solid. Florida St is pretty good and UL is probably better than most thought thanks to Mack. NC St does have the kinds of guards that give us problems. The rest of the league is not good at all. The non-conf losses already by Miami, Wake, BC, GT, SU, are setting the conference back this season. NC St plays Auburn tonight so that could be a good watch.

The last few miracle runs to the Final Four and Sweet 16 have masked a terrible trend of Syracuse basketball. There have been many signs of decline -- many thought sanctions were a big part of it.

But this has been, by far, the most disappointing team I have seen since becoming a fan in 1994.

In my humble opinion, it is time for our coaching legend to either make drastic changes on his staff or to move into the retirement phase of his career.

We may make a run in the ACC for awhile, may win a game or two and still might make the tournament as a 12 seed. But this team is not playing to its potential and it is largely at the hands of the head coach and coaching staff.
You guys are amazing, let’s wait until Feb before we decide JB is done, it’s almost hilarious the amount of hysteria going on.

You guys are amazing, let’s wait until Feb before we decide JB is done, it’s almost hilarious the amount of hysteria going on.

Honestly, are you excited about the prospects of the season? Do you like the way the team is playing? Very easy to say "let's wait and see".

In their defense ill just ask...who do you see on other benches that you think is any better? Likely you have never heard if any of them unless they were a former player like GMAC. Fyi...this is not an endoraement of these 2.
I love GMac but JBs decision to only “keep it in the family” is most likely preventing us from looking outside for the best possible canidate, as opposed to going with the best possible canidate that played at Syracuse.

I think as of 3 years ago the only 2 schools in the country that had all-alumni as staff was Ollie’s UConn bench and us. We all know where Ollie is now.

People are complaining about the offense, big man development, etc . Mostly the same problems the last 4 years. I would have like to see someone brought in who maybe wasn’t under JB to see if the differing skill set may have helped.

GMac was great as a player, but the talk him taking over when JB leaves is frightening

I love GMac but JBs decision to only “keep it in the family” is most likely preventing us from looking outside for the best possible canidate, as opposed to going with the best possible canidate that played at Syracuse.

I think as of 3 years ago the only 2 schools in the country that had all-alumni as staff was Ollie’s UConn bench and us. We all know where Ollie is now.

People are complaining about the offense, big man development, etc . Mostly the same problems the last 4 years. I would have like to see someone brought in who maybe wasn’t under JB to see if the differing skill set may have helped.

GMac was great as a player, but the talk him taking over when JB leaves is frightening

Agree 100%. The thought of GMac as our next coach is horrifying to me. (And I love GMac)

I personally want an infusion of an entirely new coaching philosophy. Just a fresh start after a glorious Boeheim career.

Agree 100%. The thought of GMac as our next coach is horrifying to me. (And I love GMac)

I personally want an infusion of an entirely new coaching philosophy. Just a fresh start after a glorious Boeheim career.
We SHOULD be able to get the best coach in the market by the time we’re ready to hire. Unless of course Izzo or K retire the same time as JB. But we should pretty much have our pick of who we want. We aren’t URI or SMU who should just promote an assistant when Hurley/Larry Brown left.

I agree with a lot of what's already been said on this thread and agree it's time for some major changes. The problem we have is that Boeheim is not just the HC of the basketball team. He IS the program and arguably the face of the University. I'd compare him to Paterno in a lot of ways. There's no way Boeheim is forced out... at least not publicly. The best we can hope for is that Boeheim comes to the realization that it's time (highly unlikely) or the AD comes up with a plan behind the scenes in order for JB to save face.

It's hard to remember the last time I've watched our team and thought we were legit... several years ago. And as hard as it is to admit this, the team has been hard to watch the last 5+/- years.

The offense will improve as Frank gets back all of his abilities and the position/playing time is sorted out with all the new players. Hopefully by the time they start the ACC schedule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom