Sorry, but it is time... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, but it is time...

The canary has been signing in the mine for a few years now. Unfortunately, many on this board refuse to hear its warnings.
You should at least try to get your metaphors right.

Said in a thread earlier today to just give me a 6'9 pudgy ND type center for all I care if he can give me 12 and 8 without being a complete dud on D. Because currently we get absolutely 0 on Off from the 5 and some above avg D but nothing crazy. Its definitely not making up for the hole on O.
I’m not seeing much above average D from the 5.

I think we won the national championship because Forth/McNeil were solid enough, not because they were true assets or weapons. We won because we had the best player in college ball that year. But don’t forget—we weren’t even better than UConn that year.

We won because forth could play defense and we had carmelo running the offense.

we have centers now who struggle to the basics on d or rebounding.

No...But a coach might realize we aren't a good free throw shooting team (see season stats) and leave bigs to go after possible rebound. Instead, we pull our bigs off the line to give our opponent uncontested missed free throw rebounds. Oh, we gotta get them back on D for 40 minutes of the effective zone defense.
Never thought about it that way

I actually think the worst possible scenario for the program this year long term would be for us to somehow miraculously stumble into the tourney again as like a 12 seed, then we beat a 5 seed or something, and then we are back to square one with the smoke-and-mirrors success.

Last edited:
Who cares re: Buddy? When the decision is made to make JB step down he can call Few and have Buddy go there. No biggie.
Can you imagine it's come to this? Stuck with a should be retired coach because of a middling jump shooter? We are getting what we deserve.

Apathy is the worst thing that can happen. I’m amazed anyone can go to the Dome and watch boring uninspired basketball game after game.

The program is stale and SU needs to do something before it’s too late.

I think we won the national championship because Forth/McNeil were solid enough, not because they were true assets or weapons. We won because we had the best player in college ball that year. But don’t forget—we weren’t even better than UConn that year.

Are you seriously complaining about a 30-5 National Championship winning team because they were 0-2 against UConn?

Make them all - not accounting for 1&1 misses - and we still lose by two possessions. Stop trying to make excuses.
This team, when playing the way they should, should get to the line 13 times in a half.

You should at least try to get your metaphors right.

Uhhh. First of all, the “Miner’s Canary” is an idiom. Second of all, it’s certainly applicable to this situation.

miner's canary

This team, when playing the way they should, should get to the line 13 times in a half.

They can’t get by some guys. That’s why we see pushoffs or bailout/jacked threes.

It’s knda insane for anyone to think they know how good any assistant coach is. As a coach or as a recruiter. We only know the results, not what the results would have been if the coach were better or worse.

I like all of our alums, but fear we are left with a ‘loyalty pledge’ where it’s adsumed that JB’s successor will come from ‘within,’ and all our guys know is what they’ve gotten from JB. So, if JB really was ‘great,’ we get JB Lite.

I can’t imagine a scenario where our AD tosses the whole lot of them and we start with ‘foreigners.’ Realistically, the ad is going to be looking for a low-cost, up and comer, and one for the region who won’t see us as a stepping stone. Not an easy task.

Yeah and Oshae has become worse.
Completely baffling. He spent the summer working on his jump shot when he should have just been playing with his teammates. Especially working on finishing strong.

Are you seriously complaining about a 30-5 National Championship winning team because they were 0-2 against UConn?
You see what you want to see. Where is the ‘complaint?’
Whatever. Stew in your own sensitivity.

Uhhh. First of all, the “Miner’s Canary” is an idiom. Second of all, it’s certainly applicable to this situation.

miner's canary
When the metaphorical canary encounters danger in the mine, it stops singing and dies, thus alerting the miners to said danger. I don't think you want to be the canary.

When the metaphorical canary encounters danger in the mine, it stops singing and dies, thus alerting the miners to said danger. I don't think you want to be the canary.

Those of us who’ve been watching SU basketball for about the last five years often feel like we’ve already died.

I believe coach has earned the right to turn this around.

Who are you going to replace him with? I'd love to see a list of legit candidates,

And please don't tell me Shaka Smart again. The guy is 11-22, 19-15, the past 2 seasons, and 5-3 this year.

Tony Bennett? He's not leaving UVA. Tom Izzo? Jimmy has owned him.

I believe coach has earned the right to turn this around.

Who are you going to replace him with? I'd love to see a list of legit candidates,

And please don't tell me Shaka Smart again. The guy is 11-22, 19-15, the past 2 seasons, and 5-3 this year.

Tony Bennett? He's not leaving UVA. Tom Izzo? Jimmy has owned him.

No one’s earned the right to do anything once it’s clear they’re no longer good at their job.

It’s knda insane for anyone to think they know how good any assistant coach is. As a coach or as a recruiter. We only know the results, not what the results would have been if the coach were better or worse.

I like all of our alums, but fear we are left with a ‘loyalty pledge’ where it’s adsumed that JB’s successor will come from ‘within,’ and all our guys know is what they’ve gotten from JB. So, if JB really was ‘great,’ we get JB Lite.

I can’t imagine a scenario where our AD tosses the whole lot of them and we start with ‘foreigners.’ Realistically, the ad is going to be looking for a low-cost, up and comer, and one for the region who won’t see us as a stepping stone. Not an easy task.
Maybe give Buffalo’s coach a good look?

Everyone declines with age .. not just people involved in physical tasks ... shoot .. poker is dominated by youngsters ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom