Sorry, I've been traveling, but one quick point... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, I've been traveling, but one quick point...

Marrone is a very good coach, there is no debating that. I mean, c'mon. Just look at what he did in his 2nd season with a batch of misfits.

Marrone hated recruiting and having to "baby" the kids. You can call him on those things, but please don't critique his coaching and game preparation skills.
I liked his comment...because Marrone left at the first opportunity.

A six year deal is fine.

I would not extend.

I love the guy - I enjoy his press conferences. He inspires confidence and seems to have a plan.

It seems that the players like him.

I am hopeful that he will recruit well.

But, I am always hesitant to hail the next great coach after a very short experience.
^^^^ This...and not any other answer folks...love the fandom and think/hope HCDB is the guy to do it but it is bad business to even consider extending 5 games into the guys first year...especially for some of the durations mentioned...help make him enjoy Syracuse in other ways, give him some perks and let's see how things go...the new AD should have some criteria and things he will measure Dino and his staff by...if he is on the right trajectory...the AD and Chancellor will make sure he is taken care of...until that time...let's see progress each week...go Cuse!

^^^^ This...and not any other answer folks...love the fandom and think/hope HCDB is the guy to do it but it is bad business to even consider extending 5 games into the guys first year...especially for some of the durations mentioned...help make him enjoy Syracuse in other ways, give him some perks and let's see how things go...the new AD should have some criteria and things he will measure Dino and his staff by...if he is on the right trajectory...the AD and Chancellor will make sure he is taken care of...until that time...let's see progress each week...go Cuse!

I have on good authority that Dino is committed for a minimum of 3 years. Getting and keeping QB (and WR recruits) like Devito is critical to his system that will keep him here longer. With a new Dome and a packed loud house, he will stay as long as Syverud/Wildhack will pay up on the success in 2019. That's the year I would expect them to extend his contract.

HCDB is totally lucking out this year so far with Dungey and Etta-Tawo allowing the "cake to bake"much quicker...doesn't matter recruiting wise the W-L record when you have a top 10 QB-WR combo at the end of the year. My hope for this weekend is that the hurricane picks up speed and blows way past NC by the 7 pm kick. If little to no wind Etta-Tawo gets another 200 yard game with Wakes weak secondary. Go Orange!

Not saying you're wrong about his quality as a HC, but that year's schedule was as soft as we've had in a very long time.

No it wasn't

The comment was stupid
It's his opinion.

It's easy to be impressed by what Marrone was able to accomplish in his four years here. I was fired up after the second Pinstripe Bowl win and thinking Marrone was going to lead us to great things. Then he left.

I now know that his ceiling as a head coach is extremely limited and that Pinstripe Bowl was probably the best it was ever going to get under him.

Maybe the idiot Giants wish they had a real coach now (Marrone) instead of that amateur McAdoo .

Doug belongs in the nfl or if college a destination school that doesn't have a problem recruiting.
I disagree with this. NFL players don't like him. He treats them like kids. He's a better fit for college, imo. Then again, I don't think he's cut out to be a head coach anywhere aside from maybe the D3 level where the pressure is much less and marketability isn't required.

If it doesn't come with a huge buyout, what does the extension accomplish? He can still leave whenever he chooses, as we've seen coaches around the country do over the years... And I love Dino.

Marrone is a very good coach, there is no debating that. I mean, c'mon. Just look at what he did in his 2nd season with a batch of misfits.

Marrone hated recruiting and having to "baby" the kids. You can call him on those things, but please don't critique his coaching and game preparation skills.
I don't want to rehash the Marrone debate since that horse was beaten to death, reincarnated and beaten to death again more times than I care to remember. But Marrone was a terrible game day coach... yes he got his guys ready to play but when things went south during a game he made very few adjustments and he was terrible at game management. I will give him all the credit in the world for a) hiring Shafer as his DC as he was more responsible for any success the program had in Marrone's first three years than anything Marrone and his offense did and b) Marrone's players never quit on him. I will also concede that Marrone's last year was the most fun I've had watching Syracuse football in the last 15 years (before this one). But he then took any fun and hope that came from that season and put lighter fluid and a blow torch to it. The biggest indictment of Marrone is the mess that he left behind when he left which Shafer only made worse as a head coach. Now here we are trying to clean up the mess that Marrone started and Shafer completed.

I also stand by my statement that Marrone sucked all the life and fun out of football with his miserable and arrogant attitude both at Syracuse and Buffalo. I will never ever support a team with him as head coach again unless he makes a Tom Coughlin or Terry Collins like 180 in his coaching style and his personality. The last words I will say about Marrone will be a direct quote from him that I believe epitomizes everything I can't stand about him: "Saint Doug"

I don't want to rehash the Marrone debate since that horse was beaten to death, reincarnated and beaten to death again more times than I care to remember. But Marrone was a terrible game day coach... yes he got his guys ready to play but when things went south during a game he made very few adjustments and he was terrible at game management. I will give him all the credit in the world for a) hiring Shafer as his DC as he was more responsible for any success the program had in Marrone's first three years than anything Marrone and his offense did and b) Marrone's players never quit on him. I will also concede that Marrone's last year was the most fun I've had watching Syracuse football in the last 15 years (before this one). But he then took any fun and hope that came from that season and put lighter fluid and a blow torch to it. The biggest indictment of Marrone is the mess that he left behind when he left which Shafer only made worse as a head coach. Now here we are trying to clean up the mess that Marrone started and Shafer completed.

I also stand by my statement that Marrone sucked all the life and fun out of football with his miserable and arrogant attitude both at Syracuse and Buffalo. I will never ever support a team with him as head coach again unless he makes a Tom Coughlin or Terry Collins like 180 in his coaching style and his personality. The last words I will say about Marrone will be a direct quote from him that I believe epitomizes everything I can't stand about him: "Saint Doug"
As amazing as this might seem to you and many others here , Doug still liked by many SU fans and alumni and every time you start on this venting of your personal feelings it divides the fan base and hurts the current efforts .

Biggest question on Marrone which we will never know the answer too, is what would he have done in 2013 after losing Nassib, Pugh, Lemon and Sales.. His recruiting was getting better as we lost some key guys once he left. Doug is/was a good coach, I don't think there is much debate there. People get wrapped up in his personality but most coaches are thin skinned edgey s because of what the job entails these days and working under a microscope.

I liked Doug and still do, he was good for SU when he was here. He had some really really nice wins when he was here and I always felt like we had a puncher's chance in every game, He had some great game plans when he was here and two bowl wins., and as many have said the end of the year in 2012 was about as good as it has gotten here in 15 years, easily. He came here with the best intentions burned out on the reality of what was in front of him and probably wasn't happy on a few empty promises. Two way street. Not saying Doug is a saint or perfect but I liked him and wish he never left for the most part

Biggest question on Marrone which we will never know the answer too, is what would he have done in 2013 after losing Nassib, Pugh, Lemon and Sales.. His recruiting was getting better as we lost some key guys once he left. Doug is/was a good coach, I don't think there is much debate there. People get wrapped up in his personality but most coaches are thin skinned edgey . . . . . s because of what the job entails these days and working under a microscope.

I liked Doug and still do, he was good for SU when he was here. He has some really really nice wins when he was here and I always felt like we had a puncher's chance in every game, He had some great game plans when he was here and two bowl wins., and as many have said the end of the year in 2012 was about as good as it has gotten here in 15 years, easily. He came here with the best intentions burned out on the reality of what was in front of him and probably wasn't happy on a few empty promises. Two way street

He made us competitive again. We never found out if he could have made us really good. And he bugged out just as we were joining the ACC.

As amazing as this might seem to you and many others here , Doug still liked by many SU fans and alumni and every time you start on this venting of your personal feelings it divides the fan base and hurts the current efforts .

Wildhack doesn't seem to have a problem with him.

He is liked. I like him. I think he's a good coach. That does not mean he's above reproach or we shouldn't look at his time here with clear eyes.

Arguing over sports on a message board isn't dividing anything. We agree and disagree on a thousand things. Wanting Syracuse football to win again is the thing that we all agree on.

Biggest question on Marrone which we will never know the answer too, is what would he have done in 2013 after losing Nassib, Pugh, Lemon and Sales.. His recruiting was getting better as we lost some key guys once he left. Doug is/was a good coach, I don't think there is much debate there. People get wrapped up in his personality but most coaches are thin skinned edgey . . . . . s because of what the job entails these days and working under a microscope.

I liked Doug and still do, he was good for SU when he was here. He had some really really nice wins when he was here and I always felt like we had a puncher's chance in every game, He had some great game plans when he was here and two bowl wins., and as many have said the end of the year in 2012 was about as good as it has gotten here in 15 years, easily. He came here with the best intentions burned out on the reality of what was in front of him and probably wasn't happy on a few empty promises. Two way street. Not saying Doug is a saint or perfect but I liked him and wish he never left for the most part

Charlie Loeb would've done well in Hackett's system, we'd have won the Pitt and Penn State games that Shafer managed to screw up, and we'd have been 8-4 with a better bowl opportunity than that Houston one.

And I assume the recruiting would've incrementally improved from there.

He is liked. I like him. I think he's a good coach. That does not mean he's above reproach or we shouldn't look at his time here with clear eyes.

Arguing over sports on a message board isn't dividing anything. We agree and disagree on a thousand things. Wanting Syracuse football to win again is the thing that we all agree on.
:noidea:

He made us competitive again. We never found out if he could have made us really good. And he bugged out just as we were joining the ACC.

Yes, that is the first step to rebuilding and he was successful to that point, next step was to climb the ladder. I would say at the end of 2012 he had us playing like a top 20 team not that was guaranteed he was going to sustain it but we were trending in the right direction for sure. I just don't see any other way to look at it. His recruiting was trending the right way too. His staff as well. IMO, he had his staff on the same page too after a few years of tweaking. Like I said, we were heading in the right direction and with indoor practice facility and now dome renovations I have a tough time believing that Marrone would have NOT gone onto to further success here and we wouldn't be where we are now. Now Dino has to start over more or less and start the climb to respectability.. AGAIN

Do you really think that OrangeFoo (no offense) has the power to divide the fanbase with his opinion on Marrone? I must unmask this OrangeFoo to find out who he/she really is.

Do you really think that OrangeFoo (no offense) has the power to divide the fanbase with his opinion on Marrone? I must unmask this OrangeFoo to find out who he/she really is.
Yes . First he/she says lets not beat a multiple time beaten dead horse then beats him again . There is a whole can of worms there that can just be left alone . This thread was about extending Dino , Doug got the door slammed in his face because he asked for raises for his assistants so they would make half as much as assistants make at the big schools .

Yes . First he/she says lets not beat a multiple time beaten dead horse then beats him again . There is a whole can of worms there that can just be left alone . This thread was about extending Dino , Doug got the door slammed in his face because he asked for raises for his assistants so they would make half as much as assistants make at the big schools .
I was talking about OrangeFoo dividing the SU fan base. Do you really see the impact of OrangeFoo across the totality of the SU fan base? That would be some serious power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom