Sorry, I've been traveling, but one quick point... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, I've been traveling, but one quick point...

agree 100% here, if Dino can't fix this mess I am not sure anybody that Syracuse could actually obtain will be able too, I would be willing to push all chips in as well, we need a long term solution and I think we have found it, he may need to tweak his defensive staff a bit but I would be fine with locking him up, his offense, his presence and the way he carried himself and represents the program are good enough for me, like I said if he doesn't turn it around we are in trouble

Nope. If Dino can’t get it done I’m not sure we’ll ever be able to get out of the rut. You can certainly forget about hiring a proven coach unless it’s from 1AA. We’ll be back to hoping to hit lightning in a bottle with an unproven assistant.

It’s to the point now (in today’s climate) – as long as the SEC’s of the world patience keeps getting shorter - where an up and comer MAC coach can wait for a big boy program to open up. They can skip over the Syracuse’s and jump right to the big time.

Last edited:
The fact that Chip Kelly was immediately scooped up by San Fran tells us that the NFL isn't ditching the philosophy any time soon.

He's not going at warp speed anymore. Some of the concepts carry over sure, but the system? Don't think so.

Whether or not the NFL is bidding for his services does not change the point. Also, I'm not as convinced as you that the NFL isn't a possibility. The NFL seems to be evolving much faster that it used to. If Babers values stability, he will have the opportunity to stay in a few years. There is no incentive for him to commit now. I can't believe any0ne could even challenge that notion.

1. If a contract was offered, the details would be important, no? Since it wasn't this is an exercise in futility.

2. You don't know Babers any more than I do. Enter a second "unknowable" into the mix.

Too many assumptions to "believe anybody could ever challenge that notion"...

A six year deal is fine.

I would not extend.

I love the guy - I enjoy his press conferences. He inspires confidence and seems to have a plan.

It seems that the players like him.

I am hopeful that he will recruit well.

But, I am always hesitant to hail the next great coach after a very short experience.

We're getting our @asses kicked and (some of us) are hailing him. I am because I truly believe he 'gets it' and I truly believe once we weather this storm he's going to turn it around and make us very good again.

nobody is hailing this guy because we're 4-0. It's because you can see the potential and when the guy speaks you just know.

Agreed, however my approach would be this - Compensate his assistants fairly, renovate the Dome ASAP and do whatever it takes to fix this $h1tty, $h1tty fan base. Give him the support he deserves and listen to what his needs are and you make it very difficult for him to leave.

Most importantly, if he feels that he can win here, he will stay IMO.

I think this is exactly right. If we can't put fans in the seats, if we can't recruit the type of athlete he needs to make his system hum, that is the thing that will make him go someplace where those things can and will happen. Extension aside, it's important that we make him feel comfortable here.

If he doesn't like it at SU it won't matter if his contract is 25 years. The only way another team tries to steal him from us is if he is successful here. Even then his age could be a deterrent. IMO the two biggest threats are Arizona and UCLA. He spent time at both schools and the weather is nicer. As long as Mora keeps his mediocre streak going and as long as Rich Rod doesn't try to come back East, I don't think we have to worry.

Well that's great to hear.

I followed the Eagles because of McNabb but completely washed my hands of them when they signed Vick. I have friends in S. Jersey that were 15 year season ticket holders that gave them up because of his signing,

Exactly

If he doesn't like it at SU it won't matter if his contract is 25 years. The only way another team tries to steal him from us is if he is successful here. Even then his age could be a deterrent. IMO the two biggest threats are Arizona and UCLA. He spent time at both schools and the weather is nicer. As long as Mora keeps his mediocre streak going and as long as Rich Rod doesn't try to come back East, I don't think we have to worry.

I'd agree. Flatly no contract would keep him here, but it would ensure we have our guy as long as possible. If he leaves because he’s turned us around then that’s fine. We’d be on solid ground and not lose any money.

I think this is exactly right. If we can't put fans in the seats, if we can't recruit the type of athlete he needs to make his system hum, that is the thing that will make him go someplace where those things can and will happen. Extension aside, it's important that we make him feel comfortable here.

Exactly...do all we can to make him not want to leave. I think an extension is not smart for either side at this point, but if Wildhack thinks this is the guy, we should be doing all we can to make him comfortable here and give him other perks (more control, incentives, staff increases, etc) Like all of us here, I think he can get this all headed back in the right direction and make us contenders again!

1. If a contract was offered, the details would be important, no? Since it wasn't this is an exercise in futility.
Well duh, of course details matter. I just can't see a scenario where "the details" would be in both parties' best interests at this early stage. You're right, I don't know Babers, but I feel okay speculating on an online message board about what he should or should not do in a hypothetical scenario. My opinion stands that it would not be in Babers' best interest to accept an extension unless "the details" are so weighted in his favor that it wouldn't be in Syracuse's best interest to offer such a thing.

Well duh, of course details matter. I just can't see a scenario where "the details" would be in both parties' best interests at this early stage. You're right, I don't know Babers, but I feel okay speculating on an online message board about what he should or should not do in a hypothetical scenario. My opinion stands that it would not be in Babers' best interest to accept an extension unless "the details" are so weighted in his favor that it wouldn't be in Syracuse's best interest to offer such a thing.

Ahh - best contracts are the ones both parties like, hypothetically of course.

I'm all in on Babers and think he's the right guy for the job, but I don't think now is the time to offer an extension. I don't think he will prove anything this year. I would wait at least until the off-season, but preferably next season, if things are looking up.

and I remember a couple months ago it was blasphemy that I suggested he could easily leave SU at some point for another job. I'll stand by what I said before and I wouldn't mind seeing his contract re-negotiated in a way that made sure he stayed long term. Whether that's more money, or a longer contract in general, or more money for assistants. Whatever.

Just like IB, I think if Baber leaves, especially before attendance and national perspective changes drastically. This team won't be worth watching again. I was really really worried when it seemed the school might be looking to invest less or not improve the FB program. That all seemed to end up being made out of nothing but the prospect was pretty scary. You'd really have to hit a homerun hire from out of nowhere if Babers left in the next few years.

The fans in Philadelphia remain utterly perplexed by the 49ers' decision to hire Chip.

He is viewed here as an abject failure - as both a coach and GM.

On the other hand, he did win 20 games in his first two years after inheriting a 4 win team.
Chip Kelly's system doesn't work. I can tell you first hand. I thought it would but boy was I wrong. The blitzkrieg offense is horrible in the NFL because TOP means a lot. Your defense will gas out if they go 3 and out a few times, let alone the fact they have to do it the whole season. The Eagles defensive players were completely worn out midway thru every season. The system is completely over matched in the NFL (no huddle,speed). You can do it some, but if you do it every single time it will not work in your favor.

I did not bring up $$ amounts or precise years for a reason. That's for Wildhack, the BoT compensation committee, Babers' and his agent to figure out.

I'm talking in generalizations. Just do whatever it takes to keep him here, don't be late to the party having to counter offer some other school's luring of him.

Wildhack and Babers could be a dynamo fit for SUAD.

Add a year to his contract. He would sign a 1 year extension and increase his pay.

Dino is the best thing to happen to SU FB since 2001. Pay that man his money.

I would hope if we were to extend him, the new contract would have provisions for pay increase to assistants. That way IF Dino wanted to explore other assistant coach options he would have adequate money as his disposal.

My position on Dino is coming from a guy who wasn’t enamored with or on board with his hire to begin with. My preference was for Matt Campbell. I’ve done a 180 after listening to his pressers, reading his quotes/comments and seeing him in action.

Syracuse University doesn't have the kind of money dedicated to the football coaching positions that the big time schools do . If USC , Texas , LSU or Oklahoma want him , he is gonzo . If keen eyes here on the fan think he is doing top shelf work , then that is being watched by those teams as well .

Urban Meyer telling Ash to go to Rutgers over SU because it is a better job, well that shows you how fortunate we are to have Dino. The SU football job is considered one of the worst in the entire P5, we are insanely lucky that Dino took this gig, and I sure as hell would have no problem if we extended him sooner than later.

Urban Meyer telling Ash to go to Rutgers over SU because it is a better job, well that shows you how fortunate we are to have Dino. The SU football job is considered one of the worst in the entire P5, we are insanely lucky that Dino took this gig, and I sure as hell would have no problem if we extended him sooner than later.
If we hired Ash this board revolts. We are lucky Meyer told Ash to go Rutgers. That is obvious.
We are lucky neither Missouri or South Carolina hired Babers. We should give Babers a 1 year add on just to show the love.

Babers was always Coyle's first choice, but wouldn't talk until after the MAC Championship. There could have been other preliminary conversations, but Babers was going to get the first offer. At least that's how I understand it.

I've heard this from a few good sources.

If we hired Ash this board revolts. We are lucky Meyer told Ash to go Rutgers. That is obvious.
We are lucky neither Missouri or South Carolina hired Babers. We should give Babers a 1 year add on just to show the love.

He turned down Mizzou

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom